Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 5th, 2020 17:00

ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro for Dell XPS 13 (9350)

Hello guys,

After 5 years, I want to upgrade the SSD of my XPS 13 (9350). It comes with 256GB Samsung SSD NVMe PCIe 3.0x4 which starts to get some BSOD errors now.

My best choice is ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB since it is the same specs & interface as my default SSD. Also its quite cheaper compare to Samsung EVO series and it has a 5-year warranty and this is the only best avaible SSD in my location. It also makes a lot of performance differences based on it reviews.See the product below.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07K1J3C23/ref=twister_B07WQKKS8V?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

But I dont have any experiences about it so I need your help if this is the right SSD to use in my system. I am currently running on all latest BIOS & driver versions.

Also, If it will successfully installed and get detected in my BIOS system, how do I proceed with fresh installation of Windows 10? How do i create those 4 partitions like in default Windows system (FAT32 boot partition, Reserve partition, recovery partition & Data Partition) does it automatically create this partitions when I install Windows itself?

I hope you guys can advise & share your experiences.

Thank you very much in advance.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

September 6th, 2020 20:00

@Hackkerszk  If you want to verify that your system is detecting an SSD, just go into the BIOS Setup after you install it and check the System Information/Summary section at the top of the list on the left.  In the information section on the right, scroll down to the information about storage devices.  If you see your SSD mentioned, then it's detected.

Dell defaults to shipping almost all of their laptops in RAID mode for a variety of reasons having to do with standardizing factory build processes and some historical situations.  I've written about this multiple times elsewhere on the forum, but basically, if you'll only have a single SSD that will NOT be an Intel Optane drive, then you should switch to AHCI, because RAID mode delivers no benefit, and since it enables the Intel Rapid Storage controller, it becomes one more driver you might have to deal with (although recent Win10 installers might have built-in support for the XPS 13 9350's Rapid Storage controller by now).  AHCI is also necessary if the vendor of your SSD offers an optional NVMe driver and you want to use it.  Samsung offers this type of driver, for example, but it's only available for retail Samsung drives, not OEM Samsung drives.  There likely won't be much of a performance difference either way, but AHCI is just simpler because it exposes the storage interface directly to the OS, rather than having the Rapid Storage controller enabled.

But if you're curious, since RAID mode enables the Rapid Storage controller, it can be useful in certain cases -- including setting up actual RAID, using Intel Optane drives (where RAID mode is required), using Intel Rapid Start or Intel Smart Response (both of which are used in systems with an HDD and a small SSD cache module), and using an NVMe drive with an OS that doesn't natively support NVMe (like Windows 7, where using RAID mode allowed that setup).  Since Dell currently sells or has sold laptops where at least one of those situations has applied, they standardize on RAID mode on almost all laptops they sell.  Standardizing makes things easier, there's no real performance difference, and the only downsides of RAID mode don't really apply to them.  Having to include one extra driver isn't a problem when they're already integrating a bunch of drivers in their factory build process anyway, and the inability to use NVMe drivers that are sometimes offered with retail drives doesn't matter to them because they're not installing retail NVMe drives at the factory.  The only big downside is that RAID mode doesn't allow you to use Linux, since Linux doesn't have an Intel RST driver built into its kernel.  But Dell doesn't offer very many systems with Linux pre-installed -- although the ones where they do, such as the XPS 13 Developer Edition, presumably come from the factory in AHCI mode.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

September 5th, 2020 22:00

@Hackkerszk  I don't have any personal experience with ADATA, so I can't comment on that, but in terms of getting your partitions set up, the Windows 10 installer will take care of that.  When you get to the step asking you where to install Windows, you want your entire SSD to just have a single entry that says "Unallocated space".  If you just installed a brand new SSD, that's how it should appear out of the box.  But if you were ever reinstalling Windows onto an SSD that had already been partitioned, you'd want to delete all existing partitions until the only entry for your SSD was that single "Unallocated space" item.  Then just choose to install there and Windows will set up the necessary partitions.  Note: Be very careful not to delete partitions on other disks.  For example, if you have a disk with two partitions and a second disk that has one partition, you might see this in the "Choose where to install Windows" list:

Disk 0 Partition 1
Disk 0 Partition 2
Disk 1 Partition 1

If you wanted to install Windows onto Disk 0, you would want to delete the first two partitions so that it just said "Disk 0 Unallocated Space", but you would NOT want to delete the partition on Disk 1, since that would be a completely different drive, such as a secondary internal drive or a USB external hard drive that was connected.  Just be careful there because if you're not paying attention to those disk numbers and you have other disks connected, you can end up accidentally deleting a partition you didn't want to delete.

Oh, and one last thing.  Before you boot into your Windows 10 installer to perform the fresh installation, go into your BIOS and change the SATA Operation setting to AHCI rather than RAID.  Despite the name of that setting, it also applies to NVMe SSDs.

34 Posts

September 6th, 2020 19:00

Hi @jphughan 

Wow!!! Thanks for this very detailed instruction for Windows 10 installation. And i am now very confident to do it.

Another question, Is it really necessary to do ePSA test just know if my SSD is being detected or working? Coz i am not sure if an unpartitioned (fresh unallocated disk) will be detected by the system since its not configured and no OS is being installed there yet.

Also my system comes with RAID since I bought it and I learned on some forums that RAID only applies on systems with series of hard drives & SSD. Since my XPS 13 9350 only comes with single SSD, will it be reasonable to switch sata operation to AHCI?

Any performance difference with this two modes with regards to single SSD system?

No Events found!