Highlighted
jotachin
1 Copper

Adding HDD to SSD only XPS 9560?

Jump to solution

I'm planning to buy an XPS 15 9560 with only a 256GB SSD, is it possible to install a HDD into the laptop? Does it have an available slot to do so? If it's possible, could anyone reccomend me one or two good 1TB HDDs I could purchase? Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ejn63
5 Rhenium

Re: Adding HDD to SSD only XPS 9560?

Jump to solution

It's only possible if you have the smaller 56WHr battery.  If you have the 97 WHr battery, the battery takes up the 2.5" drive bay.

6 Replies
ejn63
5 Rhenium

Jump to solution

It's only possible if you have the smaller 56WHr battery.  If you have the 97 WHr battery, the battery takes up the 2.5" drive bay.

jotachin
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I see...I'm buying from a website that doesn't specify the battery size. Is there any way to find out from the other specs? And if i happen to have the larger battery, would it be possible to swap it out for the smaller one? Can I even buy the smaller one standalone? Thank you once again

0 Kudos
ejn63
5 Rhenium

Jump to solution

Ask the seller which battery is in the system -- in most cases, configurations other than those that ship with a 2.5" drive have the 97WHr battery.  And while you can swap the battery, that will cut your battery runtime in half -- it may be OK for an FHD system, but don't even consider buying the 4K screen and using it with the 56 WHr battery.  You'll likely see only 3-4 hours of battery run if you do.

jotachin
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thank you, in that case I will consider just upgrading the SSD, but would i have to install things again such as drivers? Also what kind of 1TB SSDs could I use, can it be an SSHD? (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-ST1000LX001-Internal/dp/B00B99JUBQ/ref=sr_1_3?s=computers&ie=UTF8&q...)

0 Kudos
ejn63
5 Rhenium

Jump to solution

Leave the OS on the existing SSD.  Moving it to a SATA SSD will be about half the speed - and moving it to an SSHD will be immensely slower.

samos1111
3 Zinc

Jump to solution

Also what kind of 1TB SSDs could I use, can it be an SSHD?

Nope, you need a m.2 2280 size SSD, preferably NVMe, I'd suggest the Samsung 970 evo 1TB. 

I assume a SATA type drive would work too, but much slower.