Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 30th, 2020 03:00

BSOD: Driver Verifier DMA Violation with TB16 Docks Part 2

Hi.

Since the old topic seems to be closed I want you reopen the discussion:

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/BSOD-Driver-Verifier-DMA-Violation-with-TB16-Docks/td-p/7243508

I have the excact same problem. The solution in the topic above was to upgrade to the latest ASMedia USB-xHCI-Controller driver.

I have this version: https://www.dell.com/support/home/de/de/debsdt1/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=xhjrn

This should (by now) the latest one.

But I still randomly get the BSOD on Windows 10 when using a usb camera on a docked notebook.

I'm using:

• Dell XPS 15 9570
  • Dock TB16 (Thunderbold Dock)
  • Windows 10 latest version with latest driver from Dell
  • latest Dell BIOS firmware
  • Logitech USB Webcam

Is there any solution from side of Dell? Or any way to replace the TB16 dock by a WD19TB (which seems not to have this issue)?

May 1st, 2020 12:00

@dellDDS 

I found a workaround.

See here: https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/BSOD-on-XPS-15-9570-with-TB16-on-closing-webcam/m-p/7251732/highlight/true#M25542

Remove the registry key. Maybe some time will fix this driver issue but I don't think so. Answer of Dell support was I should wait for a driver update. But the problem occurs for such a long time now that I don't think there will be one in the near future.

Report back if the workaround solved your problem.

8 Posts

October 28th, 2020 11:00

After more failures, and realizing that wiggling the dock cable seemed to restore my Ethernet connection, I called Dell, and they have installed a new motherboard.  The tech indicated he has replaced a number of motherboards due to the failure of the USB-c connector on the laptop.  Dell needs to do a better job of engineering those connectors, since they get plugged/unplugged a lot.

Update December 11 =  I haven't had a blue screen for close to a month, so it seems that loading in the Intel Graphics driver may have solved the issue.

6 Posts

April 30th, 2020 04:00

I get the same error with XPS 9300 and TB16 connected to other USB devices

• 

17K Posts

April 30th, 2020 05:00

dellDDS,

You must first update the systems latest bios located here. Followed by the dock firmware and the ASMedia USB eXtensible Host Controller Driver both drivers located here.

• 

17K Posts

May 1st, 2020 07:00

dellDDS,

Checking to see if the information provided helped resolve the issue. Let us know.

6 Posts

May 4th, 2020 03:00

@DELL-Jesse Lno, the issue is still there with all up-to-date drivers.

Conversely, the workaround suggested by @Catscratch29 seems to work fine for now. Thanks a lot!

6 Posts

May 5th, 2020 00:00

Just a quick minor update on this issue after few tests. I'm using a logitech webcam (C270) and a Dell P2419h external monitor. The monitor is attached to the TB16 dock using DP and USB cables. The suggested workaround works perfectly when the webcam is connected to the external monitor through USB3 (lateral) ports. However, when the webcam is connected to the external monitor through USB2 (back) ports, a BSOD still appears as soon as the webcam is activated. I hope this could help to find a definitive solution to the problem

• 

17K Posts

May 7th, 2020 04:00

dellDDS,

Thank you for the update.

4 Posts

August 20th, 2020 22:00

I have the same issue with the WD19TB - so, upgrading from TB16 won't help. My TB19 works fine (with 2 UC2719 Dell Monitors via DP, keyboard via USB, GE LAN connected) - but crashes when I connect other USB3 devices with sound capabilities.   One of my dell monitors is equipped with a  Dell sound bar AES15, which needs the monitor's USB. As soon as I connect the USB input of the Monitor to the docking station, I get BSOD with DRIVER_VERIFIER_DMA_VIOLATION.

Dell sent me a replacement WD19TB but this didn't help. The issue seems related to the docking's SW/FW and I suspect the ASM USB Hub driver. I'm using the latest one - ASMedia-USB-Extended-Host-Controller-Driver_XHJRN_WIN_1.16.56.1_A13_01.

8 Posts

October 26th, 2020 13:00

I've had the same issue.

In June, 2020, I convinced Dell to send me a new dock.  The problem disappeared, and started again in September.  About once a week, I would get a BSOD with the same Driver_Verifier_DMA_Violation.  It happened with Zoom, WebEx, and Microsoft Teams, only once per week.   By mid-October, I was having issues where the wired connection would just drop, and not reconnect, even after a reboot.  The BSOD during video calls were happening once or twice a day.  After having about 2 crashes per day, and spending a few hours with Dell Tech Support, I was able to convince them to sell me another new dock. That worked for a week, but I got the BSOD again today.

I've removed the registry key as suggested by @Catscratch29 , and that didn't help.

I have all the latest drivers.

I've supplied MINIDUMP files to Dell, and they say they analyzing them to discover the driver that fails is beyond their level of support.  (I'm personally disappointed in that)

1 Message

January 4th, 2021 02:00

I'm having the same issue on a MSI laptop (Thunderbolt3). In my case the BSOD appears after the network connection drops or when i try do disable the Network adapter in device manager. 

Problem is it seems i'm not able to update the firmware on the dock. Any idea how to do this besides buyng a Dell laptop just for updating?

8 Posts

January 5th, 2021 08:00

Update January 4, 2021.   Had another Blue Screen crash during a Zoom session (first in 2 months).  Hoping Dell can figure it out again.

20 Posts

May 3rd, 2021 18:00

• Dell would like you to think it is computer model specific it is not, although they never correct this on all the posts regarding this issue. I am using a 2 year old Precision 5510 workstation laptop and the same BSOD DMA Violation
  • Dock TB16 (Thunderbolt Dock)-This the sole cause
  • Windows 10 latest version with latest driver from Dell--I have it installed
  • latest Dell BIOS firmware--have it installed
  • Logitech USB Webcam---dont have the Logitech USB Webcam installed and get the same DMA violation and BSOD. So nothing to do with the Logitech Webcam.
  • I have all the latest drivers installed for all components for this dock and have compared every version with the latest version posted on Dell support website

Still getting same crashing but when restarting after computer went to sleep and the network connection dropped. The TB 16 is totally defective and Dell does not want to replace them or offer anyone a solution where they would have to recall a totally defective Dock. In my case they do not even make a Thunderbolt dock that is compatible with the Precision Laptop that I have. So I doubt with all the different models of Dell computers that do not work with the TB 16 and all the different causes...Logitech Cam, Network connection dropping etc that a fix will work other than the replacement of the TB 16 dock which would be the ethical thing to do (companies do  recalls all the time if they value their customers)

20 Posts

May 3rd, 2021 19:00

If you think that Dell cares about resolving this issue regarding the TB16 dock which has been going on since 2019 read the following answer from Dell and my reply. Keep in mind they are saying they have no responsibility because the warranty on the dock was only for 1 year. There are too many posts on the TB 16 since 2019 to keep track off and Dells solution is that the dock only has a 1 year warranty so they have no responsibility to fix the problem. If the dock was not connecting to the computer how does the dock drive my dual monitors, network wired lan connection plugged into the dock, mouse plugged into the dock, keyboard Fob connected to the dock as the computer is only connected to the single Dock USB c connector cable from the dock?

Re: You’ve received a private message from Dell Community Forum

Hi,

We understand your concern. We have reviewed the complete case history and we had even involved our Level 3 team regarding this issue. The issue that you are facing is you are unable update the docking firmware, we don't suspect any hardware fault in your system.

While updating the docking station firmware, teh docking station has to be connected to the system and if that is not getting updated, we suspect there is some issue with teh docking station. As docking station is out of warranty, we are sorry our support boundaries are limited.

Again you don't read the case history so why do you bother to send uninformed messages that are totally wrong. I can update all the TB 16 drivers. I have never stated that I cannot update the drivers. You have so many customers with the exact same problem all over the support website going back to 2019. They all have the same problem with DMA driver violation and BSOD. Dell has not resolved a single problem. So what makes you think it is not the dock? Or your drivers? Why don't you do the ethical thing as a company.... hundreds of posts about the same problem why don't you fix it and come up with a solution ? How do you know it is the dock and not the computer? If I cannot update the dock firmware than why does it have all the latest driver versions on it? Can you answer that single question? If you read the case notes you would know that is not the issue. It is amazing how you just waste your customers time. Send me the message from Tech support 2 or 3 and tell me how the dock has all the latest drivers on the Dell website for this dock if I am not able to update the drivers? Can you intelligently answer that question?

1 Message

September 14th, 2021 11:00

My system:
XPS 13 2-in-1 (9365) with 615 HD graphics card and TB16 connected to a .

Problem: BSOD and Driver verifier DMA violation error... when connecting to TB16 with Logitech 920 camera via front usb 3.0

Solution:

1. I updated the BIOS. 

2. Loaded the ASMedia-USB-Extended-Host-Controller-Driver

3. Loaded the Intel UHD graphics driver

4. Changed the Logitech camera from front of TB16 to XPS thunderbolt 3 port via adapter. 

Not sure what fixed it but I am connected to the TB16 with my camera connected direct to the laptop via TB3 and it works perfect now and my Zoom meetings work much better too. 

No Events found!