Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 13th, 2021 06:00

Battery & Adapter

What is the best way to use adapter & battery in Dell XPS 13 9310 to save the battery & prolong its lifespan?

I most of the time keep adapter connected to the laptop. Is it a right practice?

Please reply. Thank you.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

April 13th, 2021 11:00

Due respect to @JOcean , but the guidance to periodically discharge the battery does not apply with lithium ion batteries.  The only situation where that can be useful is to help the system more accurately estimate remaining charge percentage.  For example, if you've ever seen a battery linger on 1% for longer than it should have, or die even when it said it had some charge left, it's because the system didn't correctly estimate the remaining percentage.  That can be difficult due to the curve of the voltage drop for lithium ion batteries, so fully discharging the battery can help the system recalibrate.  But that does not improve lifespan.

@DrSami  This question gets asked a lot.  See my post in this thread for some configuration changes you can make if you're willing to give up some everyday utility in exchange for increased longevity.

9 Legend

• 

12.2K Posts

April 13th, 2021 08:00

You should periodically let the battery run down to around 20% and then charge it back up. This Dell support page has more ideas on it that can help.

9 Legend

• 

12.2K Posts

April 13th, 2021 12:00

Thanks for that information. I was looking at an older web site. The reference I see now suggest a little charge and a little discharge.

2 Posts

April 21st, 2021 10:00

That is really a great help. I think I got my Q answered.  Thanks a lot.

No Events found!