Start a Conversation

Unsolved

P

1 Message

July 24th, 2019 16:00

Blue screen, Gamut mapping, Low FPS, Wireless issues

Since purchasing my dell xps 15 9550 I have only been constantly let down time and time again. 

The first issue I ran into and still am dealing with since purchasing this laptop in 2016 is the screen. The blacks are extremely pixelated and it makes videos unwatchable. This was extremely disappointing to me because I have the 4k screen but I cant even enjoy it because anywhere there are blacks or dark areas, it is extremely pixelated. I have had this issue for 2 1/2 years and it is yet to be fixed. I believe in is the intel driver because for a brief moment (probably about a month) in an update to the driver I was able to have a beautiful screen that worked fabulous. I refused to update the drivers after that but I couldn't stop it from auto updating and it's back to the crappy pixelated screen. I will note I've contacted dell twice about this issue with no success in solving the problem. 

The second issue is performance. I have never been able to play a game on this device buttery smooth which is troubling from a $2,500 device. Minecraft plays smooth for 10 minutes before the fps goes from 60 (already not greeeat) to 9! Which is not even playable. I would like to note I have the core i7 with the intel 530 and NVIDIA GTX 960M. That is more than enough power to process a simple game such as minecraft.

I have also had NUMEROUS blue screens. If I had to guess probably around 30 within the 3 years i've had this device. Which is frustrating especially if I am working on schoolwork that I haven't saved. I've had 2 times when booting up the device I run into a problem in the BIOS screen saying that I do not have a hard drive installed...what? And the worst part is that 1 out of the 2 times was unfixable and I had to get my computer completely wiped because of it! I was on the phone with dell customer service for 4 hours. 

The updates to the BIOS have been an absolute nightmare as for some reason in some of the BIOS versions including the current one, there is no sleep option when the device is unplugged...If I close my laptop with some windows open and come back 5 mins later it will completely restart and all of my progress will be gone. This is only when the device is unplugged so I thought it was a battery saving option but I have gone through every single setting for every issue I am talking about in this post. Furthermore, sometimes when there is a BIOS update it will all the sudden stop having that issue, but then another BIOS update and now its back to restarting every time the laptop is closed.

If all of this wasn't enough i've had wireless connectivity issues with this device sometimes taking up to 10 minutes to find my wifi after waking up my device from sleep. I run the troubleshooter and sometimes that fixes it instantly but when i wake my laptop up from sleep I am almost never connected to the internet so I have to go through a routine of running the troubleshooter and refreshing the available networks. No this is not an issue with my wifi as i've run into this issue in numerous locations. 

I want to like the laptop so bad because the design is so simple and beautiful and the specs on paper are very promising. But i can say with 100% certainty I can't see myself purchasing a dell product after this experience. It has been absolutely terrible.

No Responses!
No Events found!