Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 6th, 2019 00:00

Boot issues XPS 13 7390 2-in-1

After a week of use, I have found a couple of issues with this system:

- The system does not boot the OS (stays on the Dell splash screen) if my USB hub is connected to the USB 3.0 port.

- I closed the lid last night and left it overnight, this morning it did not turn on, even pressing the power button for long. I had to plug in the charger to turn it on, the battery was over 50%.

are there any known causes for this behavior?

Thanks

2 Posts

September 8th, 2019 03:00

Hi Alan,

thank you for your answer. Apparently I managed to solve both issues. The problem with waking up in Windows was solved by enabling SMM security mitigation in the BIOS. The problem with booting with the USB hub connected did solve as well, but I am not sure if it was caused by SMM as well or due to a weird boot order.

Eduard

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

September 6th, 2019 03:00

@ezorita thanks for getting in touch about this. Can you help me out with some additional details please - 

a) Is this the first time it's happened or has it happened previously?
b) Have you updated the system BIOS or USB hub firmware recently?
c) What model of USB hub do you have?
d) Are you able to replicate the fault if you restart the system with the USB hub connected?
e) Does the USB hub work correctly once the system boots back into Windows?
f) Have you tried any other USB devices on that same USB port?

Alan

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

September 6th, 2019 07:00

There have been occurrences before with other systems where the external power had to be connected or disconnected.

You have a new system with some changes regarding its configuration.  You might be seeing things not seen before.

As far as the USB hub being connected, is it powered and with or without something plugged in to it?  Perhaps check the Boot priorities to see if it is mentioned there.  This may even be related to having a dock connected so you might check to see if the Bios has a Thunderbolt device set as bootable.

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

September 9th, 2019 06:00

@ezorita thats great to hear that it was a simple settings change in the BIOS that resolved the issue for you.

Alan

No Events found!