Start a Conversation

Unsolved

L

4 Posts

October 19th, 2018 11:00

XPS 13 9350, P2719HC, USB Type-C to C cable, #2

I just got my new Dell P2719HC monitor and wanted to connect my Dell XPS 13 laptop by using USB-C. The funny thing is, my laptop does charge via the USB-C but it won't project the screen to the monitor. I got the error: "No USB-C signal from your device."

The only thing that does work is via HDMI cable, but that is not why I got the version of the monitor with USB-C functionality... As my laptop is then connected to the monitor via HDMI, it won't notice anything I plug into the monitor's USB ports.

Please let me know if you have any ideas how to fix this!

4 Posts

October 19th, 2018 12:00

Thank you so much for your quick reply! 

The main functionality why I wanted this monitor and no other was for the USB-C functionality, so I prefer another one if that is not working and I have no idea when it will work. I am thinking about returning it. What is the name of the new series, and is it already available at the end of this month in Europe? I am also not sure how returns work.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

There was just another thread about this, with almost the exact same title.  Direct link here, but the bottom line is that this appears to be an issue specific to using that system with this display over USB-C, so right now the only workaround is to use something like a USB-C to DisplayPort/HDMI cable or adapter.  That of course means you'd have to connect other cables for charging and USB data, but that appears to be the state of this situation at the moment. I brought that other thread to the attention of a Dell moderator here who has escalated previous issues to the appropriate engineering team(s) within Dell in the past though, so this may get fixed.

Otherwise, if you just got that display, Dell just announced some brand new displays that will have USB-C, so you could return the one you have and try one of the new models when it comes out later this month.  There's even an option for a 27" 1440p display, and 1440p is MUCH better for a 27" display than 1080p unless maybe you'll be using it primarily for gaming where reduced sharpness won't be noticeable and the priority is just to get a big display at a low cost.  But if you'll be looking at text, a 27" 1080p display has pixel density significantly below average, while 27" 1440p is a bit sharper than average.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

Found the post where I wrote a bit more detail about pixel density here if you're curious.  It's the last post in the thread (as of this writing) beginning "One final note".

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

Another option to look at is the S2719DC.  The "S" line is below the "P" line, which means it drops some features like a height-adjustable stand, additional display input connectors, and support for DisplayPort daisy-chaining.  It also only offers 45W over USB-C for charging rather than 65W, but 45W is enough for the XPS 13 9350 if that's the only system you expect to use this connection with.  On the plus side, it's less expensive than the new model I just mentioned above, and it still offers 1440p resolution.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

The new display is the U2719DC.  This is link from the US store where I am.  Note that it's from the top-end U (UltraSharp) model series rather than the P (Professional) series like your P2719HC, so the specs and features might be different, which in conjunction with it having 1440p resolution rather than 1080p will mean the price will be higher.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

October 19th, 2018 13:00

As an alternative to the mini-dock I mentioned above, there's this one.  Compared to the one I linked earlier, this one only has a single USB-A port rather than three, and it does not have the card readers -- but it still has the ports you'd need in order to achieve the setup I mentioned above, and it's a bit less expensive.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

@Leonie97 wrote:

Although both options look great, I am a poor student. I can't see option 1 on Dells site in my country and option 2 is even €520. For the P2719HC, I paid €320 and I cannot afford more than that. 

Anyhow, thanks for the advice! I might look into some 25 inch models but I guess this remains a good deal, although the USB-C is not (yet?) working.

Totally understandable.  If you can't find another display that has built-in USB-C, one other option you could consider in order to achieve the same result at the same or potentially even a lower cost would be getting a "normal" display (built-in USB-C currently adds a premium and also limits your choices) and then getting a "mini-dock".  You'd need one that had a display output, USB ports, and a USB-C power source input that it would pass through to your laptop to offer charging.  Then you'd connect a USB-C charger, a regular display cable (e.g. HDMI), and your display's downstream USB cable to the mini-dock, and finally connect the mini-dock to your XPS via USB-C.  You'd need to buy a USB-C charger since the display wouldn't be providing power anymore, but again the savings on getting a regular display might pay for the dock and charger, and you'd still have a single cable connection to the XPS itself for convenience.  Anker makes suitable products for both of those needs and they have a reputation for consistently high-quality products if you've never heard of them.  I own several of their products.  Here is an appropriate power source and here is a suitable mini-dock -- oh, and I guess you'd need a USB-C cable to connect the charger to the mini-dock, and on that front you just need one that supports power, not USB 3.1 or display output, which will reduce cost.  And even if that all ends up being a bit more expensive, consider that the USB-C charger and mini-dock might be useful to take with you when needed.  The charger is a lot smaller than the regular XPS charger, and the extra ports on the mini-dock might come in handy when you're on the go -- so you get a bit more utility.

As for the USB-C issue, in that other thread I linked, two other people reported the same issue, and one of them confirmed that a) their XPS successfully sent video out of its USB-C port to the display's HDMI input, confirming that the system was working, and b) another device they owned successfully sent video to that display on USB-C, confirming that the display's USB-C input was working.  I really wasn't expecting that finding because it's very odd that this specific combination of devices and connectivity would create a problem when everything in the chain works separately.  Video output over USB-C is an industry standard (called DisplayPort Alt Mode), so I don't even have a guess as to underlying cause of this bizarre incompatibility, and even if this gets fixed I doubt we'll ever see a full technical explanation of the problem.  I'll be curious to see which device gets the firmware update that resolves this though!

4 Posts

Although both options look great, I am a poor student. I can't see option 1 on Dells site in my country and option 2 is even €520. For the P2719HC, I paid €320 and I cannot afford more than that. 

Anyhow, thanks for the advice! I might look into some 25 inch models but I guess this remains a good deal, although the USB-C is not (yet?) working.

4 Posts

October 22nd, 2018 04:00

That is about the same set up I have here now! I already had a mini dock similar to that one. So I just have my laptop connected to the dock with USB-C and the dock connected to the monitor with HDMI. I don't have a USB to USB cable yet, so the USB ports on my monitor do not work, but I can use the USB ports on my dock.

Of course this isn't ideal since I was hoping the dock wasn't necessary anymore with this monitor. But for now, it works with just one cable to my laptop, no extra power cable needed. I might buy a USB to USB cable so the USB ports on my monitor will be connected to my dock/laptop. I looked at other Dell monitors without USB-C function but the price difference was only 50 euros, so that is not really worth it.

I hope they do fix the software tho. Just like you said about the other person having the same issue, the USB-C input from the monitor is working and the USB-C output from my laptop is working. So it must be some software problem.

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

November 27th, 2018 13:00

@jphughan,

Thank you very much for bringing this my way.  

@Community,

The explanation and options can be found in this recently released document. Dell Engineering has completed it's case and it's obligations to us in regards to this question.

Thank you everyone for bringing this up and for discussing on the Dell Community Forums.

December 13th, 2018 08:00

Why isn't there a compatibility list on the different USB-C product pages regarding this?

I bought a large amount of U2419HC for a new office, and I did my researched before buying them, I checked and double checked all info I could find. I even bought one before the rest and tested it out with our Latitude and XPS models (that XPS model was a 9360). Some of the users have 9350, some have 9360... imagine what happened...

Yeah, thanks a lot Dell...

PLEASE, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, UPDATE ALL USB TYPE-C PRODUCTS WITH COMPATIBILITY LISTS!!

9 Posts

March 26th, 2019 07:00

I was intending to pull the trigger and get this monitor for my XPS 13 9350. Thanks to the forum and all the posts, I am glad I avoided the bullet. 

A total shame though - I'd love to have a single cable for my XPS to the monitor, with charging and display.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

March 26th, 2019 08:00

@XVIII wrote:

I was intending to pull the trigger and get this monitor for my XPS 13 9350. Thanks to the forum and all the posts, I am glad I avoided the bullet. 

A total shame though - I'd love to have a single cable for my XPS to the monitor, with charging and display.

@XVIII, a single cable connection is still a possibility -- just not with a Dell display, it seems.  If you want to look at third-party options, just make sure that the display provides at least 45W via its USB-C connection, which is the amount of power required to run the XPS 13 properly.  Good luck!

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

March 26th, 2019 09:00

@XVIII wrote:
Isn't it ironic that we Dell users have to find other monitors other than Dell for our Dell laptops? 😂 Anyway, it'll be a miracle if they ever come up with a software fix/patch/update for XPS 13 9350 to be compatible with U2719DC/HC. @jphughan , do you know any other alternatives to the U2719s? Cheers!

@XVIII, yes it is disappointing, and I've said as much in the various threads where this has arisen.  I don't have any specific recommendations for alternatives since thus far I haven't had a reason to shop for a USB-C display (I recently bought a pair of "regular" U2717D displays), but if I had to shop outside of Dell I would probably look at displays made by (in no particular order) BenQ, LG, Samsung, Viewsonic, and ASUS.  They all have solid reputations for displays these days, and I would imagine that at least one of them will have something that meets your needs.

9 Posts

March 26th, 2019 09:00

Isn't it ironic that we Dell users have to find other monitors other than Dell for our Dell laptops? 😂 Anyway, it'll be a miracle if they ever come up with a software fix/patch/update for XPS 13 9350 to be compatible with U2719DC/HC. @jphughan , do you know any other alternatives to the U2719s? Cheers!
No Events found!