Start a Conversation

Unsolved

R

4 Posts

May 15th, 2019 02:00

Del XPS 15 l502x - fitting 2nd HDD to optical drive bay.

I have a Dell XPS 15 l502x and about a year ago I replaced the Drive 'C' with a SSD, took out the optical dirive and fitted a HDD caddy, to which I fitted a 750GB hard drive as 'D'. Everything has worked fine and the only problem has been that Drive 'D' now needs to be a larger capacity, so I duly bought a 2TB drive to replace the 750GB drive in the caddy.

Replacement went well, the new drive being duly initialised and then existing data transferred over.

However, when I now boot the laptop up one of a few different problems occur:-

• The laptop doesn't recognise the 'D' drive as being there, i.e. it doesn't show it at all, or
  • The 'D' drive shows, but clicking on it shows nothing on it, or
  • The 'D' drive shows and the folders on the drive show but the folders show as being 'Empty'.

The new 2TB drive seems to be working fine and is 100% when fitted into an external drive caddy and plugged into a USB port. I have tried two different drive caddies and the problems exist with both.

So I guess my question is, can the Dell XPS 15 l502x cope with a 2TB HDD fitted to the optical drive bay?

Many thanks for any replies :)

4 Posts

May 16th, 2019 04:00

Well just in case anyone ever reads this thread, or searches with the same problem, this is how it was fixed, (after some Googling):-

Powered-up the laptop and pressed F2 when the Dell logo appears, that took me into the BIOS Setup, here I found the entry 'USB Emulation', which was set to 'Enabled'. I switched the setting to 'Disabled', exited with saving the change and the laptop booted quickly into Windows and everything with Drive 2 was in order.

No idea why it worked but hope it helps someone else :)

No Events found!