Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

5 Posts

December 13th, 2020 08:00

Dell XPS 13 9310 sleep mode issues

Hi,

I have had problems with XPS 9310 when in sleep mode. Let's say I'm working a word/power point document or have opened a few browser tabs and place it in sleep mode by closing the lid or pressing the power button simply let the laptop go into sleep mode as per power settings. A hour or two later I lose all my work and find there's dell on board diagnostics running a hardware scan with the message. "Hardware scan complete with no issues". I have been in touch with Dell support multiple times and the best they have done so far is update BIOS and run on installed the Dell Support assist software multiple times.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

December 26th, 2020 17:00

@angka Oh, that also worked for me, before I tried disabling the Sign of Life options instead.

19 Posts

February 1st, 2021 08:00

@juliatuttle,

Wake on WiFi wasn't so hard - you use the device manager to find your WiFi adapter, select properties, and uncheck the "Allow this device to wake the computer" option.

For completely disabling sleep, I used a registry change as described in this link.  The change was the description under the section "Update for Windows 10 20h2".  Once I made that registry change, the wake timers options in the advanced power settings panel came up again, and I turned off wake timers when plugged in.

Let me know if that makes sense...

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

December 14th, 2020 09:00

" have opened a few browser tabs and place it in sleep mode by closing the lid or pressing the power button"

-----------------------------------

You are spiking up memory (ram) on the computer by having browser tabs open in sleep mode. This is why Diagnostic keep running a scan. You could set Sleep to a few hours or Never in Sleep settings while working on a word/power point document. Then again, you would still have to keep an eye on Memory and CPU in Task Manager. If Memory is around 80% - 100% in Task Manager then surely computer will shut down or power off.  

How to Open Task Manager on Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista and XP (tencomputer.com)

I suggest creating a image of windows 10 or back up your files, photos, music, documents and other important stuff to a Cloud or to a external drive. There are many backup software that you could use, two that are popular within the computer world:

Macrium Software | It’s our business to protect your data

Acronis True Image 2021 – Backup, Disk Imaging and Cloning for Windows & Mac | Acronis.com

Capture.PNG

1 Rookie

• 

5 Posts

December 16th, 2020 15:00

Thanks for the suggestion. However, this did not happen in older Dell XPS 13 2015. Essentially you cannot put the laptop in sleep mode  and continue working on later. It's either keep it on for the whole time or shutdown completely without using the sleep mode?

December 16th, 2020 20:00

I'm having the same problem! I'll leave the machine, go do something, and when I wake it back up, it reboots, tells me the OS crashed with a memory error, runs memory diagnostics, finds no problems, and boots back into Windows fine.

I suspect it might be a problem with the Connected Standby mode, based on a cursory Google search.

What LSUFAN51 said is bogus. If you open too many browser tabs for how much RAM you have, the browser will kill some tabs or the OS will kill the browser -- this is a situation they're totally equipped to handle. The error we're getting indicates a hardware, firmware, or operating system bug.

1 Message

December 20th, 2020 18:00

I'm having the same issue with my 9310. Seems like a driver or BIOS issue, one that I hope that they can resolve quickly!

December 22nd, 2020 11:00

Hey @xpsenthusiast2: 1. Windows won't find the SSD because, for some reason, Dell ships these machines with the integrated storage configured in an Intel-proprietary RAID mode instead of just presenting the single disk as a single disk. To fix this, go into BIOS Setup, open the "Storage" screen, and under "SATA/NVMe Operation", pick "AHCI/NVMe" instead of "RAID On". This will let you install Windows from vanilla Microsoft install media, and, as far as I know, won't prevent you from using the SupportAssist/BIOSConnect magic to recover the entire system if you want or support asks you to. 2. At the suggestion of a few forum posts around the Internet, I tried disabling the two "Sign of Life" options in BIOS Setup, and so far I haven't seen any more of these crashes. To try this, go into BIOS Setup, open the "Pre-boot Behavior" screen, and uncheck both "Display Logo Sign of Life" and "Keyboard Backlight Sign of Life". I haven't tested whether both options cause the problem; it's possible that one works fine and the other causes the crash. This makes vague sense to me as something that could cause the issue -- if you wake the machine up from Connected Standby, it might be the case that both the BIOS and WIndows are trying to access the keyboard or display controller in a way that results in a memory error. I'm not sure if the error we're seeing is one that normally means bad RAM, or just one that means an invalid memory access that the OS and firmware aren't handling. If you try this, please let me know if it helps; it'd help me be more sure of my own fix too. Cheers, Julie

1 Rookie

• 

5 Posts

December 22nd, 2020 11:00

Dell support wanted me to reinstall a clean copy of windows. I backed up everything and created a windows installation on a USB drive. BIOS wouldn't detect the hard disk when trying to reinstalling windows using USB drive. So ended up doing a soft reinstall which wouldn't delete all your saved files and programs. I haven't had sleep mode issues since then. It maybe been an issue with Windows copy which came preinstalled from Dell.

Fingers crossed and hope it doesn't happen again.

December 24th, 2020 09:00

I've got the exact same issue, ever since the latest BIOS update when you tell the laptop to sleep the display turns off but the laptop continues running as normal.

December 24th, 2020 11:00

@Fil Sapia, that's not the same issue, and it's (sadly) not actually considered an issue; that's just how Modern Standby works. The screen turns off and hardware goes into lower power modes as feasible, but apps can still run and sync data (like a phone).

146 Posts

December 25th, 2020 00:00

Your problem should be a system setting problem. If it appears recently, it is recommended to reinstall the system.

December 25th, 2020 10:00

@lan1991008, your comment is unhelpfully vague (which setting?), wasteful (reinstall without trying anything first?), and just plain wrong: some of us have already tried reinstalling Windows and the problem has persisted.

1 Message

December 25th, 2020 18:00

Like others, I have seen this in a brand new 9310.

I did a few things which may or may not have made a difference (it hasn't happened recently):

We should see if there is some common thread to our issue:

• Intel i7-1185G7
  • 16GB RAM
  • 512GB NVMe (Kioxia) Drive
  • Windows 10 Home 20H2

NOTE: I haven't seen the full reboot into recovery mode in the last day or 2, but I do notice the "USB connect / disconnect" sound coming from the computer every now and then when I leave it alone.

December 26th, 2020 15:00

@iamscott Sure, here you go:

For me, updating the firmware to 1.1.4 alone did not fix the issue. Throughout the process I've been checking Windows Update and Dell Update frequently, but I don't recall any particular updates fixing the issue.

I've got the i5, 16 GB RAM, 1 TB NVMe (Micron), and it's reproduced with the most recent Windows 10 Home and Pro. My gut says it's going to be a BIOS problem that's common to all configurations, though.

1 Rookie

• 

8 Posts

December 26th, 2020 17:00

(also having this problem)

The solution for me was to switch from "sleep" to "hibernate" for the case close action, and other power management settings to avoid sleep mode. I too hope Dell fixes this problem. 

No Events found!