Start a Conversation

Unsolved

U

2 Posts

December 16th, 2019 02:00

Dell XPS 13 (9343) charging issues

Hello, I have Dell XPS 13 (9343), which is bought in 2015 April. This July I had a problem at work with electricity, which damaged the AC power adapter. I replaced it with the original one and everything seemed to work. A month ago I noticed that while charging the screen is flickering. I found out that it is because when a laptop is on with a power adapter, it is charging in bursts. So it charges for several seconds, then stops, and is going on like this. It seems to charge normally when switched off. At the beginning of the issue, it was still slowly charging when on, but it is getting worse. I cannot charge when the laptop is on, I have to turn it off to charge. I couldn't find a similar problem in the chats. I ran all the diagnostic tests, also BIOS diagnostics. BIOS gave me a warning that "the battery is reaching the end of its usable life". I understand that 4.5 years is a lot for the battery and I have to change it, but in general, it can still hold for around 5 hours, so it keeps me wondering, what causes this weird charging behavior? Can it be the power adapter, which can be quite logical, but it is replaced and the led light is shining. Can it also be a motherboard? I would really appreciate the help of some possible solutions. I would consider buying a new laptop within a year. Thank you!

7 Technologist

• 

12.1K Posts

December 16th, 2019 05:00

If you are seeing an end of life message for your battery then you can pretty well assume the battery is causing the strange charge behavior. 5 years is a pretty good run for a battery as the average life according to Dell is 18 months to 2 years or roughly 1000 charge cycles. If you replaced the adapter with a new genuine Dell adapter and you are not seeing any adapter not recognized messages then the adapter is probably not the source of the problem. But if you have another adapter then try it out just to confirm that yours is fine. A motherboard problem would give you other symptoms such as when you plug in the adapter the LED turns off.

December 16th, 2019 13:00

Dear JOcean,

Thank you for your answer! I am ordering the new battery and hopefully, that's the issue as you suggested. 

Will post the result,

Greetings,

Agne

1 Message

May 4th, 2022 20:00

The XPS 15 9575 2-in-1 is simply a - looks pretty - low quality device at a cost of plus $2000+. It is glitchy [mouse pad stops working, battery does not last more than hour working on MS word, keys cracking in half, charging insert ports stopped working - does not sense charging cords despite of treating it gently].

I am working on replacing the freaking battery as I type this. This is the last Dell product I purchase for sure and will not recommend to any nor use in my organization.

Oscar MBA

No Events found!