Start a Conversation

Unsolved

August 10th, 2023 23:04

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

January 20th, 2018 10:00

I forgot to mention that if portability isn't a major priority, the easiest way to run multiple external displays is probably the WD15 dock, or TB16 dock if you want more display bandwidth for more intensive display configurations.  The WD15 can only do up to dual 1080p.  The TB16 can do up to dual 4K @ 60 Hz and even some triple display configurations.  Either of those docks would also be able to charge the system through its connector cable, so you'd have a simpler setup in that regard as well.  If those options are too expensive, you could look into a Thunderbolt to Dual DisplayPort adapter, and then you'd need to buy an ACTIVE DisplayPort to HDMI adapter (most are passive) for your HDMI display; all DisplayPort to VGA adapters are active.  The downside there of course is that your USB-C/Thunderbolt port is now devoted solely to driving displays, with none of the other features offered by your current DA200 adapter.

Also, does your VGA display accept any other type of input?  VGA is the only analog signal type and it looks noticeably worse than ANY other connector you might have, such as DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort, etc.  If at all possible you should get away from VGA.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

January 20th, 2018 10:00

No, that adapter doesn't allow both video outputs to be used simultaneously.  Theoretically that would be possible if the adapter had a DisplayPort MST hub built in that could split the DisplayPort signal arriving from the USB-C port into separate streams for HDMI and VGA, but it doesn't.  I suspect it's because the priority for that adapter was to maximize flexibility, i.e. making sure you could connect to EITHER an HDMI or VGA display, and not maximize functionality at a likely size and definitely price penalty.  There also might not have been enough power out of the USB-C port to drive the adapter's existing electronics plus a DisplayPort MST hub, but that's just a guess on my part.

January 21st, 2018 06:00

jphughan wrote:

I forgot to mention that if portability isn't a major priority, the easiest way to run multiple external displays is probably the WD15 dock, or TB16 dock if you want more display bandwidth for more intensive display configurations.  The WD15 can only do up to dual 1080p.  The TB16 can do up to dual 4K @ 60 Hz and even some triple display configurations.  Either of those docks would also be able to charge the system through its connector cable, so you'd have a simpler setup in that regard as well.  If those options are too expensive, you could look into a Thunderbolt to Dual DisplayPort adapter, and then you'd need to buy an ACTIVE DisplayPort to HDMI adapter (most are passive) for your HDMI display; all DisplayPort to VGA adapters are active.  The downside there of course is that your USB-C/Thunderbolt port is now devoted solely to driving displays, with none of the other features offered by your current DA200 adapter.

Also, does your VGA display accept any other type of input?  VGA is the only analog signal type and it looks noticeably worse than ANY other connector you might have, such as DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort, etc.  If at all possible you should get away from VGA.

Thanks, I really appreciate the response!

The docks are way too expensive! Im just looking for the simplest way to drive the monitors.

If I buy a Thunderbolt/USB C to VGA adapter - will this work?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ICZI-Thunderbolt-Compatible-Supported-Chromebook/dp/B01MZ1QZ6N/ref=sr_1_18?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1516543216&sr=1-18&keywords=thunderbolt+to+vga+dell

So effectively,

Monitor 1 is running thought HDMI connected to the HMDI/VGA/USB 3 Adapter via USB to the laptop

Monitor 2 is running through VGA connected to the above amazon adapter connect via USB C to the laptop

Will this work?

Appreciate the help :)

January 24th, 2018 03:00

anyone?

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

January 24th, 2018 06:00

Sorry, I didn't see your earlier post.  This redesigned forum has had a few bugs.  Some of my own posts have been disappearing.  Anyway, yes that USB-C to VGA adapter would work.  Good luck!

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

January 24th, 2018 06:00

HANG ON!  I may have misread your post.  Are you intending to connect that USB-C adapter to a DIFFERENT adapter?  If so, that will almost certainly NOT work.  Most breakout adapters do NOT pass the host's USB-C video output capability through to other adapters connected to them.  You'd have to connect that USB-C to VGA adapter directly to the host system, but it sounds like you're currently using that for the DA200.  In your case, I would look for a USB-A ("regular USB") to VGA adapter.  It will use a DisplayLink chip, which isn't as good as the display being natively driven from the GPU, but if you're only using that VGA display for productivity task rather than full-screen video or gaming, it will be fine -- and frankly if you're not willing to buy the dock or the more expensive adapters I suggested, it's your only option anyway.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

January 24th, 2018 07:00

Ugh, sorry for three posts in a row on this.  I obviously shouldn't be on the forums right after getting out of bed.

It looks like your HDMI/USB/Ethernet adapter isn't the one I was thinking of.  You have the older version that connects to USB-A ("regular USB"), whereas I thought you had the one that connects via USB-C.  So if you're using that older adapter for HDMI, then yes you can use that USB-C to VGA adapter, directly connected to the laptop's USB-C port, and you'll have your dual displays.  Ironically your display using the older VGA connector will have the better connection back to the system (direct GPU control via USB-C rather than DisplayLink over USB-A), but it will work.  Apologies again for the confusion.

January 27th, 2018 03:00

It doesn't work :(

So to recap - Dell XPS 13 (9350) trying to run two monitors

First Monitor (HDMI) - Connected to laptop through a USB 3.0 HUB (http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-adapter-usb-30-to-hdmi-vga-ethernet-usb-20/apd/470-abhh/handhelds-tablet-pcs) 

Second Monitor (VGA) - Connected to laptop though a USB C adapter (https://www.amazon.co.uk/ICZI-Thunderbolt-Compatible-Supported-Chromebook/dp/B01MZ1QZ6N?pd_rd_wg=KkWhz&pd_rd_r=92375e18-34fb-4243-b72b-b4395f02489d&pd_rd_w=KenZI&ref_=pd_gw_simh&pf_rd_r=VVWQ20JSXFHEH6VK8BD7&pf_rd_p=14f91171-0541-58ad-938b-3aec945f4cb7)

Each monitor works independently but they won't work together.

I know it is possible as I have used two monitors before the USBC to HDMI cable fried.

:(

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

January 27th, 2018 10:00

Yes, that will work, and I think you actually can mirror them if you want, but I’m not certain. The odd aspect of that configuration is that you’re using the better system output (USB-C) for the inferior display output (VGA).
No Events found!