Start a Conversation

Unsolved

K

6 Posts

May 5th, 2019 02:00

Dell XPS 13 (9380) Not turning on

Hi everyone! (TL; DR. My Dell XPS 13 (9380) isn’t turning on. Only the front light and keyboard light flash, screen is blank. Any suggestions what I could do?) Two nights ago whilst completing an important assignment, I took a break and when I returned to complete my assignment the screen was off. I just naturally assumed it put itself into sleep mode so when I tried to turn it back on, the front light and keyboard backlight was turning on, as if to boot up and then turning off. But nothing pops up on the screen. I did the screen test by holding the power button + d key and it works, so I know it’s not the screen. And the battery seems to be charging. I’m really disappointed as this was the first laptop I’ve bought with my own money and spent quite a lot to get the top spec configuration. I heard really good reviews about this laptop and loved the look of the XPS so I was really excited. Also keep in mind I’ve had this laptop for only over a month and I bought this with the expectation to last me through college. To stop working in just over a month is unacceptable really, especially for the price I’d paid. So I’ve got a broken laptop, un-submitted (late) assignment which I can’t get to because it’s on my laptop. (Lesson learnt, I’ll just back up everything from now on :P) Fingers-crossed that this is a quick fix. Can’t really afford to be out of a laptop as it’s nearing the end of trimester for me and I need it for notes and other assignments. If anyone could help, that’d be greatly appreciated. I desperately need it. Thanks!

1 Message

May 14th, 2019 10:00

Make sure pc is powered off. Then press power button twice quickly when PC is off.

Seems to require 2 press instead of single to get screen on.

105 Posts

May 15th, 2019 00:00

If the screen is good, but the screen is not bright, try to see if there is a problem with the system.

6 Posts

May 15th, 2019 03:00

No hasn’t turned on yet, was on the phone with Dell for a while and I’ve decided the best for me was just to return it.

6 Posts

@kpul97 thanks for the quick response, the support team should be able to organise the return of the system for you.

Alan

All good! Thanks for the help I’ve had a chat to the Dell Support team, they’ll be in touch after a few days with the status of my return request

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

@kpul97 wrote:
No hasn’t turned on yet, was on the phone with Dell for a while and I’ve decided the best for me was just to return it.

@kpul97 thanks for the quick response, the support team should be able to organise the return of the system for you.

Alan

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

@kpul97 wrote:
Hi everyone! (TL; DR. My Dell XPS 13 (9380) isn’t turning on. Only the front light and keyboard light flash, screen is blank. Any suggestions what I could do?) Two nights ago whilst completing an important assignment, I took a break and when I returned to complete my assignment the screen was off. I just naturally assumed it put itself into sleep mode so when I tried to turn it back on, the front light and keyboard backlight was turning on, as if to boot up and then turning off. But nothing pops up on the screen. I did the screen test by holding the power button + d key and it works, so I know it’s not the screen. And the battery seems to be charging. I’m really disappointed as this was the first laptop I’ve bought with my own money and spent quite a lot to get the top spec configuration. I heard really good reviews about this laptop and loved the look of the XPS so I was really excited. Also keep in mind I’ve had this laptop for only over a month and I bought this with the expectation to last me through college. To stop working in just over a month is unacceptable really, especially for the price I’d paid. So I’ve got a broken laptop, un-submitted (late) assignment which I can’t get to because it’s on my laptop. (Lesson learnt, I’ll just back up everything from now on :P) Fingers-crossed that this is a quick fix. Can’t really afford to be out of a laptop as it’s nearing the end of trimester for me and I need it for notes and other assignments. If anyone could help, that’d be greatly appreciated. I desperately need it. Thanks!

@kpul97 I am sorry to hear you are experiencing issues on your new system. Are you still experiencing the same problems or have you managed to successfully get the system back up and running?

Alan

1 Message

September 26th, 2019 10:00

I am experiencing the same issue with my laptop! The only thing that seems to work is spamming the power button for an obscene amount of time before the screen powers on normally. What can I do to fix the problem so I'm not constantly spending at least 15 minutes of my time trying to just get the laptop turned on? 

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

September 27th, 2019 02:00

@maybe.megan thanks for getting in touch regarding this issue.

I would recommend following the steps in this article to reset the RTC clock on the system and it should help with the issues you are having. It involves holding down the power button for approximately 30 seconds.

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln304892/how-to-reset-real-time-clock-rtc-to-recover-your-dell-portable-system?lang=en

If the system is still having the same problem after trying the RTC reset can you provide the following additional troubleshooting details - 

a) Is there an issue with the power button itself i.e it sticks frequently / doesn't respond correctly when pressed / any damage?
b) How long has this issue being happening for?
c) Are you running the latest BIOS on the system?
d) Does this issue happen regardless of whether you are running it on the battery or ac power?

I'll drop you a private message to get your tag details.

Alan

1 Message

December 13th, 2019 06:00

Same issue! The only way I can get it to turn on is to hard reboot it everytime!

No Events found!