Start a Conversation

Unsolved

N

3 Posts

March 23rd, 2019 12:00

Dell XPS 13 9380 screen flickering

I recently purchased the new XPS 13 (4K TS, i7, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD) and have been experiencing issues with the screen flickering when plugged in to AC. I thought it may have been a driver issue so downloaded the latest graphics drivers but this has not fixed the issue. When running on battery everything is fine. I have disabled the dynamic backlight in BIOS and checked Event Viewer but no such luck.

3 Posts

Hi Mary, that's where I got the driver from. I am tempted to contact Dell and return it for another one, it's just disappointing after the money I spent on it!

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

Brand new computer has a one year warranty but you have to contact Support directly. Remember that laptops must use Dell customized drivers. Make sure you got the driver from Dell Downloads. Reinstall the driver that came with the new computer by entering your info on this page-- https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/xps-13-9380-laptop/drivers

3 Posts

March 24th, 2019 10:00

---UPDATE--- So I downloaded Core Temp to check the temperature of the CPU under stress as I've read the issues some people have been having where it would reach 100'c under stress. I ran the stress test from Support Assist and sure enough the CPU was reaching 100'c under load, quite easily. I kept Core Temp open and happened to see that the CPU power figure jumped from 2W to 21W when the screen flickered, it did this again a minute or so later but to 16W. This to me is a big indication that the issue is related to power management in some way. N.B. Whilst writing this post I noticed that my CPU usage jumped to 100% and temperature to the 90s (with just Chrome, Support Assist and Core Temp open).

1 Message

April 7th, 2019 07:00

For me it was the PSR option under the power section in the intel hd control panel.

Deactive it and see if that helps

April 13th, 2019 16:00

I had a slightly different problem. Occasional flashes or flickers regardless of whether on power or not. Dell replaced the display on my computer but this did not fix it. Your suggestion of disabling Panel Self-Refresh (PSR) did. Thank you very much.

1 Message

April 30th, 2019 08:00

I just disabled this feature. Going to see if it solved the problem. My machine was certainly not under a lot of stress and I would get random flickering on my screen. I hope this really does work, since I just purchased this little laptop. Will keep you posted.

3 Posts

April 30th, 2019 23:00

I'm also having this flicking issue on certain screens while browsing, have disabled the PSR feature to see if it works.

1 Message

May 21st, 2019 11:00

I'm pretty new to this, how do you access the intel core hd control panel?

May 24th, 2019 17:00

Search for Intel Graphics Control Panel
When it opens click the Power icon
Under change settings for the plan, change Panel Self Refresh to Disabled
Save Profile
Can't remember if you need to restart or not.

3 Posts

June 12th, 2019 04:00

Hi My screen flickers as well. Not the laptop screen but an adjacent larger monitor I'm using. I experience most flicker when the monitor is connected through the D6000 dock on the display port. Using the other ports, it is better. Anyway, I can't find any Intel Graphics Control Panel. Is it a Windows thing? What would be the corresponding software in Ubuntu?

1 Message

September 30th, 2019 19:00

Can you please walk me through this step by step? im kinda computer dumb. My screen has a flicker or a micro second brightening every few minutes and it drives me crazy. brand new dell xps 13 9380

No Events found!