Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Q

1 Rookie

• 

271 Posts

September 14th, 2020 19:00

Dell XPS 15 9550 56Wh to 97Wh Battery Compatibility Upgrade?

I have a dell xps 15 9550 that i bought a few years ago.

These were the specs

i5-6300HQ

8gb Ram

1TB 5400 rpm hard drive

m.2 32gb ssd

56wh battery

1920x1080 Matte Screen

I also had a spare samsung 2.5 inch 256gb ssd with me so had that put in and took the slow hard drive out which  completely formatted.  Also it had 8gb ram which is good at the time..  I also wanted matte screen... did not like glossy... also did not want any hd screen or touch screen like that.  I used the laptop for a while and its good.  But the issue i didn't like was my battery never lasted long.  When new, it probably gave me 2h30m at the max.  But after that, it would be 1h30m.   My battery is basically worn out now and I need a replacement.  But it was then when i found out... i had the 56wh battery.   I had a battery replacement for it about 2.5 years ago so need to replace it again.  I did not know that most ppl have the 97wh battery.  So i found out because i bought this laptop that came with 2 hard drive slots, then i had the 56wh battery.  Had i known that, i would never have bought it.

But from what i read online, apparently i could buy a 97wh battery and it would fit if i remove the 2.5' samsung 250gb ssd?  Is that correct?  I also have that m.2  32gb ssd there which was in it.  I dont even use it.  But at the moment, my current ssd is close to full.  So i would have preferred having a 1tb ssd instead.  Back then i never considered a 500gb ssd because of all my laptops i ever used, i never needed that much.  Rarely did i even go over 150gb in an ssd so i figure use the old samsung one i have.  I also like to upgrade my ram to 16gb as well and from looking at amazon prices, seems like ssd and ram prices have dropped down considerably right?  Back then ram use to be over 150 usd for 16gb... ssd that are 500gb was over 250 dollars.

So if i want to upgrade to 97Wh battery and upgrade my ssd and ram, i would buy

1.  97 Wh battery

2.  16gb ram

3.  500gb or 1tb ssd but make sure its a m.2 one correct?  Thus it cannot be a 2.5' regular size ssd... otherwise i cannot put the 97wh battery in?

I read reviews that people say the 84wh battery does work.. but the 97wh doesn't?

These are the only two sites that seem to sell the laptop battery for the xps 15 9550.  But laptopbattery express tells me the 97wh battery won't be compatible.  The model number is 6GTPY.  Can anyone here confirm this battery won't work inside my xps xps 15 9550?

The third link is the 84wh from parts people which is official dell so i know its legit.  They don't seem to sell the 97wh though and from reading the dell manual online, there are only the 56wh and 84wh battery for my model?  Does the 97wh work or not?  The 84wh model is 4GVGH. 

84wh

https://www.laptopbatteryexpress.com/Long-Run-Battery-Dell-Precision-15-5510-p/dell-p5510xt.htm

97wh

https://www.laptopbatteryexpress.com/Long-Run-Battery-Dell-Precision-15-5510-p/dell-6gtpy.htm

84wh

https://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=item&id=21120

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

September 15th, 2020 04:00

The battery for this system is the 84 WHr 6-cell.

Later model(s) used the 97 WHr battery -- which most likely won't work (and if you decide to try, be sure you understand any restocking charges your reseller will apply in the event of a return).

Further, you're better off with an OEM battery (above) - NOT a third party battery.  

1 Rookie

• 

271 Posts

September 15th, 2020 10:00

Yes i heard the 97wh battery is for later models 9560 and 9570.  But i also heard ppl put that battery in a 9550 and it worked.  So i like to know if anyone here has done this or not.  Now would it have something to do with bios not recognizing it or something like that?  Thing is for me... i never did anything with bios ever... and i had this computer for many years already.  

Someone else mentioned they put a 97wh battery in and it works but said they were from new zealand and bought it from a local supplier there.  So if its the same model number... then it would work?

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

September 15th, 2020 12:00

Just realize that what you've heard is likely to be unsubtantiated, so be sure that if you decide to try, you understand your seller's restocking charge policy.  Very few vendors will take back a non-defective battery, and even among those that do, there's often a 15-20% restocking charge.  There's a very high probability a battery designed for a newer system will not function properly.

1 Rookie

• 

271 Posts

September 15th, 2020 18:00

Yes im aware of a restocking fee etc.  But since i know many ppl here had the 9550... to see if they ever used a 97wh and if it worked or not.

1 Rookie

• 

271 Posts

September 16th, 2020 14:00

6GTPY   97whr

Can any previous or current xps 9550 owners tell me if this 97wh battery with this model works or not with it?

1 Rookie

• 

271 Posts

September 17th, 2020 20:00

Okay I like your opinion on this. I asked laptopbatteryexpress if the 97wh is compatible with the 9550. They told me it wasn't. I then said i looked at the reviews of the 97wh and one customer a while back said it worked with the 9550. They said it isn't compatible. I mentioned to the laptopbatteryexpress rep, I read online the 97wh model 6GTPY works with the 9550 because I read on forum other users said it does but also... on ebay... one popular seller sell the exact model for the 9550 and even the seller of that battery on ebay tells me its compatible with the 9550 since i see lot of people bought from that seller. This is what he tells me The xps 15 9550 uses many different batteries and are not interchangeable.

The battery used varies based on when it was ordered and what configuration it shipped and NOT THE MODEL NUMBER ALONE. You can't go based on what other people used in theirs, you need to go based on what your laptop has in it which is a 4GVGH 84h battery. Now can others confirm this statement? I never heard of that before but that sounds very interesting. So the model number is not what you are suppose to look at but what configuration the battery was shipped in? I have never heard of that ever.

Thanks.

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

September 18th, 2020 04:00

If you want a known compatible battery, this is it

For all the other sellers, the vast majority of batteries they sell are not OEM - they're third party.  In those cases:  ask the sellers.

1 Rookie

• 

271 Posts

September 23rd, 2020 22:00

Okay i see parts people are legit.  But are those third party batteries almost always worst than the parts people one?  The laptopbatteryexpress seems pretty legit right?  But would it be foolish to buy it from there for only ten dollars cheaper than parts people?  Thats how much the price difference is only... like ten dollars.

So that is a no brainer get it from parts people vs laptopbatteryexpress for same battery for a ten dollar price difference?

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

September 24th, 2020 03:00

You're essentially asking the same question each time:

"I've made up my mind I will use a 97 WHr battery in my system despite it being unsupported.  What I'm looking for is verification that my choice is correct".

No one can give you that -- and no, a $10 savings isn't worth taking a chance on a non-OEM battery.  Are all of them trash?  No.  Are most of them inferior to the original?  Yes.

1 Rookie

• 

271 Posts

September 24th, 2020 18:00

Hey yeah i know the difference between parts people and laptopbattery express is only ten dollars.  But laptopbatteryexpress seems to have very good reviews... but them having the 97wh battery is what interest me the most.

But do you believe the customer service at laptopbatteryexpress is correct that it won'w work on my 9550 and their reasoning?

5 Posts

April 1st, 2021 20:00

Hi, 

Could you tell me what is your decision?

I have a laptop XPS15 9570 purchased in Taiwan and the 56Wh battery(H5H20) is dying.

I purchased 3-party battery 6GTPY from canadalaptopbattery but the system couldn't charge this battery.

Then canadalaptopbattery send me 2nd battery (6GTPY) and same situation happen again!

I checked the BIOS and that 6GTPY could be detected but status was 0% for one day charging.

I need some suggestion from all of you, please. Thanks!

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

April 2nd, 2021 03:00

The question is, does the system recognize the AC adapter.  F2 at powerup to check.

If the adapter shows "unknown", the battery will not charge.

5 Posts

April 2nd, 2021 17:00

Hi, 

The system could detect the adapter(130W).

I have 2 adapters and the original genuine battery(H5H20) could be charged from 0% to 100%.

Thanks. 

January 24th, 2022 19:00

To everyone inquiring about newer xps 9560 97whr 6GTPY working in our older 9550, which originally had 84whr 4GVGH (or 56whr if ditching the cute, out of touch second HDD/SSD)

The 9560 battery will almost CERTAINLY WORK!

Here, at 

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/my-9550-mb-upgrade-to-9560.810342/#post-10624983

(and if outside links not allowed, search the notebookreview forum!

We were BLESSED to have a user. GoNz0, who was a professional programmer and/or hardware tech - over 3,000 posts, lead the entire Dell XPS 9550 subthread. The dude, quite simply, knew EVERYTHING about his 9550.

Mamy of us 9550 owners have mike_nrb's topic, 

Dell XPS 15 (9550) list of hardware and software problems

known issues/bugs bookmarked on our desktop LoL. Spanned 3yrs, #1800 posts!!!!

*** The above forum will (just found out) be shut down on jan 31, 2022 > SO DOWNLOAD for offline access what you need!!! The clean install ISO with fixed or workaround FW/Driver's, etc by GoNz0 was an E=MC2 contribution to us bewildered 9550 owners (balloonbatterygate)

June 27th, 2022 15:00

The forum is not available could you send me the firmware?

No Events found!