Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Q

2 Intern

• 

271 Posts

July 2nd, 2019 18:00

Dell XPS 15 9550 56Wh to 97Wh Battery Upgrade?

Hey all.  I have a dell xps 15 9550 that i bought a few years ago brand new.  It was not from dell but from ebay but the seller had perfect or near perfect feedback i recalled.  Also i'm pretty positive the laptop was brand new.

These were the specs

I5-6300HQ

8gb Ram

1TB 5400 rpm hard drive

m.2 32gb ssd

56wh battery

1920x1080 HD Matte 

When i first was planning to buy this laptop, i needed a quad core  and this laptop even though it was i5, it was a quad core because of the hq so i got that.  I know there was option get the i7-6700hq i believe at the time but i bought this instead because of the price.  But does anyone know if all i7-6700hq xps 15 9550 laptops back then would mean it came with the bigger battery?  

I also had a spare samsung 256gb ssd with me so i figure buy this laptop, then go to repair shop and have them take out old one and put in my old ssd which i completely formatted.  Also it had 8gb ram which is good.  I also wanted matte screen... did not like glossy... also did not want any hd screen or touch screen like that.  I used the laptop for a while and its good.  But the issue i didn't like was my batter never lasted long.  When new, it probably gave me 2h30m at the max.  But after that, it would be 1h30m-2h.  Yes i know battery does wear out.  My battery only goes 1h15m to max 1h30m now.  But it was then when i found out... i had the 56wh battery.  I did not know that most ppl have hte 97wh battery.  So i found out because i bought this laptop that came with 2 hard drive slots, then i had the 56wh battery.  Had i known that, i would never have bought it.

But from what i read online, apparently i could buy a 97wh battery and it would fit if i remove the 2.5' samsung 250gb ssd?  Is that correct?  I also have that m.2  32gb ssd there which was in it.  I dont even use it.  But at the moment, my current ssd is close to full.  So i would have preferred having a 500gb or even 1tb ssd instead.  Back then i never considered a 500gb ssd because of all my laptops i ever used, i never needed that much.  Rarely did i even go over 150gb in an ssd so i figure use the old samsung one i have.  I also like to upgrade my ram to 16gb as well and from looking at amazon prices, seems like ssd and ram prices have dropped down considerably right?  Back then ram use to be over 150 usd for 16gb... ssd that are 500gb was over 250 dollars.

So if i want to upgrade to 97Wh battery and upgrade my ssd and ram, i would buy

1.  97 Wh battery

2.  16gb ram

3.  500gb or 1tb ssd but make sure its a m.2 one correct?  Thus it cannot be a 2.5' regular size ssd... otherwise i cannot put the 97wh battery in?

2 Intern

• 

271 Posts

July 2nd, 2019 18:00

I usually go to repair shop to have them replace my ram or battery or whatever because i don't like trying to open my laptop as i dont want to risk damaging it.  I think everytime i went to have either battery or hard drive replaced... meaning take out old one and put in new one, cost is around 40-50 usd.  Does that seem pretty fair and normal?  I do notice they don't usually take more than say 10 minutes to do it.

Now in my case, i would need ram upgraded from 8gb to 16gb.  Have both the samsung 2.5' 250gb ssd taken out and the m.2  32gb ssd taken out right?  Then they put the new m.2 ssd i bought.  Then take out the old 56wh battery and put in the 97wh battery?   Then after that, everything would be upgraded right?  Because when i calculated the cost of it.. .it would be like this

97wh battery =$100

m.2  1tb ssd = $120

16gb ram + $75

So basically around $300 to buy all 3 parts?  Now if i go to repair shop and have them take out old ones and put in these new ones im probably going to pay how much?  For example i would be paying for installing ram and installing battery.  And then installing the new ssd and removing the 2 ssd.  So it probably would cost between $150-$200?  Does that seem about right?  Like $50 for each?  

Now my other question is this.  I have all my files and everything on my current samsung ssd.  I read that you should back everything up to an external hard drive for backup purposes.  I also read about programs where they clone your hard drive like macriem where it can copy it exactly the same.  Then you can use the computer just like it did before.  So all the programs i have on it... would it be possible when i turn on my laptop after removing everything and installing new parts... then copy everything to the new m.2 ssd and then after its done.  Then my computer will have everything exactly like how it was in it before?  Like not only everything but all the icons on my desktop as well?  

Another question i have would be this.  I have windows 10 pro installed on my xps 15 9550.  But when i get a new ssd installed in it and start the computer, I assume i won't have windows 10 pro right?  Would i need to buy a new version of windows 10 pro even though i already have one now?  Am i suppose to write down the windows 10 pro code or something before i have the ssd replaced?  The thing is when i went to repair shop a while back, the guy who installed my hard drive and few other things, he was able to install windows 10 pro for me at an additional cost i believe.  But will that mean i have to buy a new windows 10 pro or not?  I want windows 10 pro only because i use bitlocker and i know windows 10 home does not have it.

The other thing was I thought about possibly getting a new xps.  But from looking at dell site, there is the xps 7590 and it would cost at least $1500 minimum to have the specs i want... which would be quad core, 500gb ssd, 16gb ram and a 97whr battery.  I know the 8750H processor is quad core and faster than my 6300hq... but my computer is more than fast enough for what i do.  However, is it true that these new laptops are not only fast... but power efficient?  Meaning they have a ton of battery as well?  Because years ago, it was get a quad core and power computer, you give up battery.  Get a U processor and get a ton of battery.  But i chose the quad core and power.  

So it would seem if i keep my xps 15 9550 and buy parts and go to computer shop, it cost me $500 max?  But if i buy new laptop and everything, i pay at least $1500 right?  Also i would have to buy windows 10 pro as well which is another $60 or $100.  But as of now, my computer is fast enough.  Its just i want the bigger battery and just a little more space.  Thus 500gb ssd.  But with prices for ssd being this cheap, 1tb wouldn't hurt.

Thoughts and opinions on this?  Again, if my laptop had the 97wh battery and if i had the 500gb ssd now, the only thing i would upgrade is the ram to 16gb.  I would not even considering buying a new computer as this serves me good enough.

• 

17K Posts

July 3rd, 2019 03:00

quickguide01,

Click my name and private message me the pc service tag number as well as your registered name, email address, and phone number.

2 Intern

• 

271 Posts

August 14th, 2019 22:00

Has anyone here done this with their xps 15 9550 which had the old 56wh battery?  I read online that you could upgrade to either the 84Wh or 97Wh battery?  But you have to remove the 2.5 inch ssd drive right and get like a 250gb or 500gb m.2 ssd?  Has anyone done this successfully?

2 Intern

• 

271 Posts

August 19th, 2019 18:00

Any other dell xps 15 9550 users can comment on this?

1 Rookie

• 

490 Posts

August 20th, 2019 00:00

Has anyone here done this with their xps 15 9550 which had the old 56wh battery?  I read online that you could upgrade to either the 84Wh or 97Wh battery?  But you have to remove the 2.5 inch ssd drive right and get like a 250gb or 500gb m.2 ssd?  Has anyone done this successfully?

This procedure was carried out successfully by many, sure you can find details by a little bit of googling (notebookreview forums, reddit r/Dell) and in the online service manual available at Dell support pages. Yes you must remove the 2.5" drive to make room for the bigger battery, and use a bigger m.2 NVMe SSD in place where the small 32GB SSD was originally. The trickiest part is getting the bigger 84Wh battery for the 9550 - Dell claims not having them anymore, and in fact they don't fancy selling replacement batteries at all these days (prefer extracting more money from extended warranties). 3rd parties are available but often not good quality and mostly impossible to ship back by mail in case of issues. So try to check seller reputation, and avoid batteries claimed to be "genuine". Not sure if the 97Wh made for 9560 and upwards work, make sure you take one claimed to be 9550 compatible. 

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

August 20th, 2019 02:00

@quickguide01  @samos1111 

The 2 batteries for the XPS 15 9550

Type 3-cell (56 WHr)  6-cell (84 WHr)

XPS 15 9550 Specifications:

https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_laptop/esuprt_xps_laptop/xps-15-9550-laptop_reference%20guide_en-us.pdf

Maybe they are not selling them any more is because they where recalled???

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-offers-to-replace-swelling-XPS-15-9550-batteries-for-free-even-if-out-of-warranty.247546.0.html

Best regards,

U2

1 Rookie

• 

490 Posts

August 20th, 2019 02:00

> Maybe they are not selling them any more is because they where recalled???

Well they were replacing them, presumably with better ones!? AFAIK not all of them were recalled, but swelling was wider than the scope of the recall, and is reported in later XPS models too. A company that'd care for their customers would have provided replacements without hassle. The funny thing is that there is still an order-a-new-battery link in power management, except that it leads nowhere

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

August 20th, 2019 03:00

@samos1111 

I agree.

All batteries that swell should be replaced for free or with some type of discount.

Not just for safety reasons but it is also a good PR move.

Because of Apples high failure rate they have an Exchange and Repair program.

ABat.PNG

https://support.apple.com/exchange_repair

Maybe Dell could learn a little from them???

Regards,

U2

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

August 20th, 2019 20:00

@quickguide01 

Parts People is also out of stock.

https://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=item&id=21119

You could use the Dell part number to find one some ware else.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=4GVGH+original&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_sop=15&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=1

Do not purchase one that does not have the "DELL" logo on it.

It could be a "China Knockoff" 

Regards,

U2

2 Intern

• 

271 Posts

August 20th, 2019 20:00

Wait so the 97wh battery is not compatible then?

Does anyone have sites or link to where i could buy a new 84wh or 97wh battery?  Dell does not sell them right?  

How in the world does dell not sell batteries for the xps 15 9550 series?  I heard they don't even sell for the 9560 or 9570?

2 Intern

• 

271 Posts

August 24th, 2019 14:00

Hi. Anyone here have links to sellers who sell the 84wh or 97wh battery? What confuses me is dell does not sell any replacement batteries at the moment for the 9550, 9560 or 9570? That can't be true right? So they expect everyone to get a new computer every year or something? I see sellers on ebay for these batteries. But almost none are official? So if the seller is from china, that means the battery is fake? But does it still work?

2 Intern

• 

271 Posts

August 27th, 2019 12:00

Anyone? I want to get the 97wh battey for my xps 15 9550 or the 84wh.

1 Message

August 27th, 2019 13:00

I can only speak to the 84wh; upgrading to this battery would be a mistake (and the third-party vendors I've seen on Amazon seem to have shady reviews) ... reference forum below:

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/XPS-15-9550-replacement-battery/td-p/6232713

2 Intern

• 

271 Posts

September 8th, 2019 20:00

So what are the options then if you want to get a new battery replacement? I have the 56wh battery and bought a 56wh battery replacement about 1.5 years ago on ebay and it has worked fine... but battery is wearing out. So i want to get a bigger 84wh or 97wh one and thus, that would mean i have to remove my 2.5 inch 250gb samsung ssd and the 32gb m.2 ssd and just get a 500gb or 1tb m.2 ssd. So if getting a new battery, get the 97wh?

2 Intern

• 

271 Posts

September 10th, 2019 22:00

What about upgrading to 97wh then? So what are you guys with the xps 15 9550 doing then whenever you need to get a new battery every 1.5 to 2 years?

No Events found!