Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 13th, 2019 08:00

XPS 15 9550, with 9560 battery, drains while in sleep

Very recently I swapped out the battery in my Dell XPS 15 9550 with the 97wh battery from the 9560, as I had heard that it was possible to do this without much issue. After unplugging the charger when the laptop is fully charged, for the most part the laptop runs great with the battery. However, when I turn the laptop on after it's been off for a bit (normally that would be overnight), I would turn on the laptop and it would be at like 9% (after having turned it off with it being at like 80%). I'm not sure if this could be partly caused by the battery still needing to calibrate (I installed it last week), or if the battery is draining while it is off, but if somebody could help show me what's going on with it that would be awesome! I did a battery report through powertools and it seems like the battery life just plummets when it's turned off. Thanks guys!

May 2nd, 2019 09:00

With just a little more searching, I found information on the Windows 10 "Connected Standby" feature, which seems likely the culprit, at least in my case. Since I never willingly turned this feature on, I imagine that it was enabled by default when the feature was auto-installed. I just went into the registry and changed CsEnabled from 1 to 0 in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power. Will leave my 9550 sleeping with lid closed overnight tonight and report back if the problem is verified fixed (for me).

Any windows experts out there know of any better ways to disable this "feature" without modifying registry manually? Doing so makes me a bit squeamish, especially since it seems to get tweaked by windows updates without my knowing.

247 Posts

February 13th, 2019 11:00

I doubt this is a calibration issues. My guess is that something with that battery is not compatible with that particular model. I would enter hardware check and have the battery tested. The batteries are definitely rated differently. 56/84WHr on 9550 and 56/97 WHr. Is the battery really losing capacity overnight? Or is it that the notebook cannot properly read the battery because its not the correct battery? 

May 2nd, 2019 08:00

I've been having same issue on my XPS 9550 for years. My workaround was to just never put the machine to sleep by configuring win10 to power off when I hit the power button or close the lid. Recently, I changed my battery from the stock to a new 97WHr, and switched win10 back to sleeping on lid close, and found the same problem returned.

So, I +1 the OP's request.

May 3rd, 2019 07:00

My 97WH Battery was reduced ~12% or ~12WH from being asleep all night, which I would say is a major improvement, bc in the past (before disabling "connected sleep") it was always drained to near zero in this use case. 

battery battery "only" drained 12% while asleep overnight with connected sleep disabled in windows

Tim

No Events found!