Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 25th, 2018 10:00

Dell XPS 15 - 9560 - HDD - SSD Replacement

Hello!

Just ordered Dell XPS 15 9560 and see it comes with a 32GB SSD and a 1TB HDD.

32Gb would not be enough for my needs and I am having a bit of a hard time to find a compatible M.2 Drive

I was wondering if this one would be suitable for my needs:

Western Digital 240 GB Sata M.2 Internal Solid State Drive - Green

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digital-Internal-Solid-State/dp/B078WYS5K6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1521996504&sr=8-2&keywords=western+digital+240gb

If it is not suitable could anyone suggest a budget friendly alternative?

Thank you very much!

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

March 25th, 2018 12:00

^ Exactly right, and many XPS 15 owners have done this. And if you’ll be performing a fresh install of Windows after making this change, I would also recommend changing the SATA Operation mode in your BIOS to AHCI just before you perform the installation. Despite the name of that option, it applies to both SATA and NVMe storage, and RAID is unnecessary when not using a caching setup. Finally, use the “clean” command in diskpart to mark your 1TB drive as empty to get rid of all of the extra partitions it would currently have since it’s a Windows disk. That way you can just create a standard partition in its place.

10 Elder

• 

23.2K Posts

March 25th, 2018 12:00

The answer to both questions is yes, you can.  The 32G drive your system comes with will be SATA -- not NVMe, so you can use the WD Green SATA drive to replace it.  

The system will also take an M.2 NVMe drive, if you're interested in getting much better performance (albeit at greater expense, as the chips used to make the faster drives are more expensive to make).

Your system will take either SATA or NVMe.

10 Elder

• 

23.2K Posts

March 25th, 2018 10:00

The 32G drive is simply a cache for the hard drive - it cannot be used to run Windows.  While that drive will work to run Windows from,  don't expect the best in performance - for that look at a Samsung NVMe drive (or if you want WD, a WD Black SSD).

3 Posts

March 25th, 2018 11:00

Thank you for your support.

Yes I understand that the 32GB drive is not intended to support windows. My question was Can I upgrade the 32GB NVME drive with 240GB NVME drive and Install Windows on it and Use the 1TB HDD as a second drive/storage? 

And if that is possible would this drive would work? 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digital-Internal-Solid-State/dp/B078WYS5K6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1521996504&sr=8-2&keywords=western+digital+240gb

I can see that it has 2 missing pins and the Samsung NVMe has only 1 missing pin I am really confused if it is compatible or not?

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

March 25th, 2018 11:00

Agree that an NVMe/PCIe SSD will provide much better performance. The XPS 15 also could have been ordered with a full-capacity NVMe SSD, fyi, and doing so would have allowed you to get the larger battery since the space currently occupied by your 2.5” 1TB drive would have been used for additional battery capacity.

But as ejn63 says, the 32GB module is not configured, nor is it intended to be used, as an independent drive. It is intended to accelerate the performance of the 1TB drive.

3 Posts

March 27th, 2018 00:00

Thank you very much for your help guys! You Rock!

August 23rd, 2018 01:00

Sorry still a little bit confused by this one.

The person in thread actually mentioned he has a 1TB SATA drive and the 32Gb is claimed to be cache. So there is no 32Gb drive.

I have a 512 Gb SSD in my PCIe slot. I actually need more capacity and I have a 1 TB 2.5 SATA drive I can drop in.

I have heard ( https://www.dell.com/community/Laptops-General/Dell-XPS-15-9560-additional-Harddisk/td-p/5149244 ) that if I put a drive in the 2.5 inch space (available since I have the low capacity battery) that it will take away performance from my PCIe drive. I don't want that of course.

My BIOS has 3 drives listed- the M.2 PCIe SSD, a SATA-0 and a SATA1. As far as I see there are no other drives in this girl (service tag is 06XLNN2) so a bit odd... and I don't see how 2 other drives would fit. I also don't know if I need to buy a cable and if I need a dell specific one to make it happen.

I want to take advantage of the bay space if possible and adding a 2.5" SSD seems to be the most cost effective way to increase space. If I can do it without hurting the performance of the PCIe SSD drive I'll do it immediately (with some help from the community of course!).

10 Elder

• 

23.2K Posts

August 23rd, 2018 03:00

The system will take ONE M.2 and ONE 2.5" drive - and the latter ONLY if the system has the smaller 56 WHr battery.  If it has the 97 WHr battery, only one M.2 drive will fit.

The BIOS may have more entries, as it's likely used in Precision systems that do have the connectors and physical space for more drives -- but your XPS system does not.

5 Posts

September 6th, 2018 12:00

Does anyone know if i can install a HDD into an SSD only 9560? And if it's possible then could anyone reccomend a good 1TB HDD to install?

489 Posts

September 7th, 2018 00:00

> Does anyone know if i can install a HDD into an SSD only 9560? And if it's possible then could anyone reccomend a good 1TB HDD to install?

You can if you have the smaller 56Wh battery - no space if you have the bigger 97Wh one. 

You'd also need a special cable, iron bracket, and rubber rails - sometimes available at ebay or such. 

The size is 2.5" 7mm thick only (someone claimed squeezing a 9.5mm inside without the rubber rails). I'd rather use a same-sized SATA SSD. 

1 Message

January 12th, 2019 05:00

I bought the 7th Gen Intel i7-7700HQ Quad Core 1TB SSD, 32GB Ram Thounderbolt NVIDIA GTX 1050. What would you recommend as an upgrade for better performance for video and photo editing?

No Events found!