Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 8th, 2018 04:00

XPS 15 9560, touch screen stopped working all of a sudden

I purchased a XPS 15 (9560) with a touch screen in Nov. 2017 and have been using this computer since December.  No issues with the touch screen for the first 2 months.  Then all of a sudden....IT IS NOT WORKING. 

After doing some research online, I contacted Dell Support.  

I spent almost 2 hours with tech support doing a variety of things to try and fix the problem.  Checked Device Manager - touch device driver is there, no problems. Did reboot, did USB device checks, did Dell's online hardware check, did disable/enable touchscreen device - no results. Many other tests.  The touch screen stays dead.

All drivers are up to date.  There were absolutely no software changes immediately proceeding this issue.  

Dell wants to replace the LCD screen.  I am not sure this will solve problem.  I am beginning to think this Dell XPS 15 is complete piece of junk!

6 Posts

February 8th, 2018 12:00

My problem with the touch screen not working turn out to be defective LCD screen (or at least the cord that connects the screen to the computer was bad).  Had to replace the screen.  Everything working good now that screen is replaced.  

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

February 8th, 2018 07:00

Also check Power Management (touch screen - Properties) to make sure the boxes are uncheck by Allow This Computer To Turn Of This Device To Save Power, and Allow This Device To Wake Up The Computer

6 Posts

Device status (in the HID - compliant touch screen) indicates that it is working property in the status box.

6 Posts

Can you please instruct on how to get to ...

Also check Power Management (touch screen - Properties) to make sure the boxes are uncheck by Allow This Computer To Turn Of This Device To Save Power, and Allow This Device To Wake Up The Computer

6 Posts

Note exactly sure where to find this.

6 Posts

Can you please instruct on how to get to ...

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

Please right click touch screen driver in device manager, select "Properties", and then check in the box if there's a message that says.....

"Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45) To fix this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

February 8th, 2018 09:00

Right click touch screen driver in device manager, select Properties, and then Power Management. Uncheck boxes and restart or power off system.

If the touchscreen still doesn't work, find USB Input Device under the Human Interface Devices. If there are more of these, you might have to repeat it for all of them:

1. Right click USB Input Device, click Properties, and then select Power Management

2. Uncheck Allow This Computer To Turn Of This Device To Save Power, and then restart / power off system

Dell Inspiron 3048:

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

February 8th, 2018 12:00

Glad to know touch screen is working now. Thanks for the update.

6 Posts

February 9th, 2018 14:00

Hi. I'm new to this forum but not to this planet. I' m well versed in common sense but not in Space/Time Relativity. For example:

Less than eight hours passed between the initial post in this thread and the issue's resolution. Within that period of time, an LCD string was obtained and installed. Is this an indication that Dell's Support/Customer Services is now capable of near-superhuman speed? That it is now capable of blowing its thousands of critics and complainants out of their orbits?

Or, is this phenomenon of speedy and uncomplicated repair a result of some other mysterious force?

4 Posts

February 24th, 2018 05:00

Have not logged ticket yet but:

My machine arrived mid-dec XPS-15 9560

This morning I lost touchscreen and USB, bluetooth and sound drivers

I've reinstalled the USB drivers, got bluetooth working and sound but can'y get the touchscreen working again!

Any ideas ....

On Device Manager Touchscreen shows with a Yellow triangle (under Other devices). There is no touchscreen shown under HUMAN Interface Devices.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

February 24th, 2018 05:00

Please expand Human Interface Devices, click on Action at the device manager taskbar. After, select Scan For Hardware Changes. Hopefully touch screen driver appears. If touch screen driver still doesn't appears, click on View and select Show Hidden Devices.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

February 24th, 2018 06:00

If 'Other Devices' is a wireless or USB mouse ( no dell), I suggest you reinstall the device from the manufacturer's website  

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

February 24th, 2018 06:00

" On Device Manager Touchscreen shows with a Yellow triangle (under Other devices) "

If the touch screen still doesn't appears after selecting Action and View:

1. Right click the device that has a yellow triangle and select Uninstall

2. In the Confirm Device Uninstall window, check the box Delete the driver software for this device (if available).

3. Select OK to confirm and proceed with uninstallation. Once the uninstallation is complete, reboot the system.

Once the computer has rebooted, Microsoft Windows will automatically detect and attempt to reinstall the device driver. If the yellow triangle still remains after the reboot, download / install the Chipset drivers from your Dell Product Support page. You can do this by entering service tag number (or use Detect Product)onto the link below. 

Support | Dell US

2 Posts

February 24th, 2018 13:00

Have the same problem with touch screen showing the yellow triangle under Other devices. I did all described in this post, but doesn't help. Every time I reboot, I get the same picture in Device manager under Other devices showing also other unknown devices including Dell Universal receiver which is needed for mouse and keyboard (KM 714), but only the touchscreen has the yellow triangle.

Until yesterday everything worked fine, but then suddenly stopped working. After this happened I only updated the system BIOS from 1.7.0 to 1.7.1, but this also doesn't help.

No Events found!