Start a Conversation

Unsolved

W

11 Posts

April 11th, 2020 13:00

Dell XPS 15 9575 2-in-1 Errors

Hi There:

As mentioned in the Subject, I had a Dell 9575 that's two years old. I recently ran Dell Update, which updated all of the files, including the update to BIOS 11.1 Windows 10, 64-bit is also up todate.

Since installing the latest updates, my computer will no longer charge from the Thunderbolt ports on the left, although (thankfully) the USB-C 3.1 ports on the right still work. My bluetooth mouse and keyboard were showing as connected but no longer worked. I uninstalled the mouse and tried to reconnect it, but Windows couldn't establish a connection. And if I plugin the headphones to the headphone jack, the sounds still come out the speakers. I tried reinstalling the Waves Audio but get a message saying that the driver is out of date (see first paragraph).

I'm taking steps to take my computer back to factory settings, but before I burn it, reformat and rebuild I was wondering if anyone has run into these challenges and/or any less severe solutions. I have backups of all of my data, programs, licenses, etc. but it's about 3 days to rebuild.

Any assistance appreciated.

Mike.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

April 11th, 2020 14:00

Have you confirmed that the new version number is running?

Do you know if this is a BIOS update issue with the new version or a Windows OS issue? Resetting the drive to factory settings does NOT reset BIOS to a previous version so the problems may persist after all that resetting is done...

Have you tried reinstalling the BT drivers? Which one you need depends on which BT you have, Killer or Intel.

You can try this:

1. Reboot and immediately start tapping F2 to open BIOS setup
  2. Copy down all current BIOS settings
  3. Then look for an option in BIOS setup to reset it to the default settings (It may be on the Exit tab)
  4. Reset BIOS to the defaults, save and exit.
  5. When PC boots see if things have improved...

11 Posts

April 17th, 2020 13:00

Hi Ron: Thanks for your suggestion. The only things (I think) I know for sure are that the original errors showed up after udating the BIOS and drivers, and the blue screen errors showed up when I was trying to update the drivers after reinstalling Windows. As to the BIOS, yes, it's showing 1.11.0. If I remember correctly, the options are restore default, factory settings, last known good and custom (for user made changes). I tried all of them; none of them made a difference. BTW, I've gone beyond the errors with the BIOS, but that's apparently in a different thread:

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/XPS-15-9575-No-bootable-drive/m-p/7537539

There's a local computer repair shop that's still open so I've contacted them to see what they might be able to offer.

Mike.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

April 17th, 2020 15:00

Did you ever run the Thunderbold firmware update from last year? You only have to run this one time. So if you've already run it, you don't need to run it again, even if you reset Windows or did a clean install.

The most recent Thunderbolt driver is here.

When you install drivers after a clean install or factory reset, you need to install them in order, starting with the Intel chipset driver, then other chipsets, then video, audio, network drivers etc.

Microsoft updates have a tendency to break BT. So you need to right-click it in Device Manager and uninstall. Then reboot and try installing the driver again

I also see there's a new update for Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver, and some firmware updates for different SSDs and HDDs, some released in last month or so. So depending on which SSD or HDD you have, you may need to run the appropriate firmware update. Again, firmware updates only need to be run once.

No Events found!