Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 27th, 2020 12:00

Dell XPS 15 9575 2-in-1 battery dead

I have had my Dell XPS 15 9575 2-in-1 for just over a year.  I recently recieved a missage saying that my battery needs to be replaced.  It does not power up at all when not plugged in.  When plugged in the center light in the front flashes rapidly.  The power indicator also shows a charge of 83% and it never changes.  Can I buy a battery and replace myself?  Will it hurt the computer to use it when plugged in?

Thank you.

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

July 27th, 2020 13:00

Much depends on how the battery was treated.  It should not have if the system was used on battery and AC alternately, or the charging setup was set such that the battery was kept at partial - say 60% charge -- most of the time.  If the battery was simply left in the system and at full charge, on AC power most of the time, then yes, the battery can indeed expire after just a year (or about half what the normal expectation would be).

Ok, based on that last answer, I can say I did not manage it properly.  So, can you set this lap top up so it keeps a battery at about a 60% charge?  Or should I just not keep it plugged in?  

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

Yes, you can replace the battery yourself - it does require a T5 Torx and a Phillips screwdrivers, but nothing crazy like pentalobe screwdrivers and adhesive solvents like Macbooks do.  Definitely replace the battery ASAP (or just removed it) - expiring batteries are known to swell and can cause damage to the system and safety hazard.

One source if in the US:

https://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=item&id=28062

(or contact Dell Spare Parts for a price quote on the battery).

I have had this computer only a year.  Does this seem fast for a battery to die?

10 Elder

• 

24.8K Posts

July 27th, 2020 14:00

You can use the battery manager to specify a maximum charge, at which time the charging cuts off.  Unless you know you're going to need 100% charge, leave the battery that way if it's going to be on AC power most of the time.  Generally somewhere around 50-60% is recommended.

See here for recommendations:

https://www.dell.com/support/article/en-us/sln128667/dell-laptop-battery-frequently-asked-questions?lang=en

No Events found!