Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

1 Message

September 17th, 2019 20:00

Dell XPS 9380 Crackling/Scratching Inside Case

Hi, 

I got this XPS 13 9380 this year for school, and it's been pretty good overall, but it's started making a strange (and very distracting) crackling noise from inside the computer. Yes, I also thought it was the speakers initially, and reinstalled the audio drivers several times, but after holding it up to my ear, it's actually in body of the computer itself, very near to the hinge. I don't think it's the fans, because they're rarely on, and the noise is centrally located; not on either side, like the fans are. I have no idea what this could be or how to fix it, but it's very distracting and very irritating. Any ideas? 

(Unsure if this is related, but I have also noticed a good bit of crackling in my headphones when listening to music through the audio jack, but I haven't noticed it through the built-in speakers.)

It's a 9380 with 16GB RAM and a 512 GB SSD, i7 8565U running Windows 10 Home (64bit). It's up-to-date on OS updates as well as driver and BIOS updates. The only update I don't have installed is a Thunderbolt driver listed on Dell Update that is always marked "failed" when I try to install it. However, I don't use any Thunderbolt devices so I don't think this is an issue. 

No Responses!
No Events found!