Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 5th, 2018 13:00

Dell xps 13 9370 headphones not detected

Hi!

I recently bought a refurbished dell xps 13 9370, the laptop is very nice but I have one problem with it. When I plug in the headphones nothing happens (no pop-up) and the audio continues to be emitted by the internal speakers (the headphones doesn't show up in "playback"). I tried several headphones and external speakers but is always the same. The headphones works only if I connect them via bluetooth.

I tried almost everything, I reinstalled the drivers, updated the bios, reset windows by the option "Reset this PC" but nothing. Also HD audio background, realtek hd audio manager and the waves MaxxAudio service are enabled on start-up.

I wonder if this is a software or an hardware problem and if there is a way for fix this issue. Thanks a lot!

1 Message

August 6th, 2018 05:00

I had a similar issue with mine. It turned out to be an hardware issue.

Basically the headphone jack is on its own tiny PCB, connected with a tiny flat cable to the motherboard. In my case it wasn't even broken, just not well connected. I called their support and after an incredibly long troubleshoot call, they sent me a technician (we have on-site support, it's my work laptop). It took him 5 minutes to solve the issue, but he told me I could have done it myself.
So, my advice is:

- Call support and explain the issue. Ask them if it's ok for them if you open the laptop, I don't want you to lose your warranty (we might live in different countries, warranty laws are not the same everywhere).

- If they say yes, open the laptop from the back (of course, do it ONLY if you're confident you won't break it; it's very simple to do compared to other similar laptops, but there's always a chance something goes wrong), the headphone jack is easily visible in the corner. Try to pluck it off and put it back on, it might just be a bad connection.

- If it still doesn't work, call support and have the laptop serviced.

5 Posts

August 18th, 2018 06:00

Hi thanks for your reply! I called Dell but I hadn't any warranty with them. Only 90 days warranty with the shop that sold me the notebook. I decided to open the pc anyways and in fact the jack's cable was unplugged and it was under the motherboard, I slied out the cable from the motheboard and I attached it on the pins connector. 

Now the headphone jack is working fine and is all alright. Just another thing, when I opened the cover I slightly bend the metal bracket of the right speaker, so be careful with these brackets when you open your laptop!! Someone knows if the speakers metal brackets are replaceable or not? Thanks!!

Maybe this image can help someone who has this issue, this the photo I took when I just opened the cover of the PC (with the cable unplugged and under the motherboard);

photo_2018-08-18_14-05-09.jpg

No Events found!