Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 24th, 2018 10:00

XPS 15 9570, how can I type special characters?

On my previous non-Dell laptop I had a numeric keypad so typing special characters such as the degree symbol was easy. ALT + 0165.

This doesn't appear possible with the XPS15 as there is no keypad and using the numbers above the top line of Q-P doesn't work. Searching the web suggests certain keys such as M, J, I etc double-up as a keypad but there are no numeric values shown on those keys.

Surely I don't have to bring up Character Map just to enter a single character?

• 

16.7K Posts

September 24th, 2018 11:00

Ray Proudfoot,

Keyboard

Some keys on your keyboard have two symbols on them. These keys can be used to type alternate characters or to perform secondary functions. To type the alternate character, press Shift and the desired key. To perform secondary functions, press Fn and the desired key.
NOTE: Press Fn+Esc to switch the primary behavior of the function keys (F1–F12) between two modes – multimedia key mode and function key mode.
NOTE: You can define the primary behavior of the function keys (F1-F12) by changing Function Key Behavior in BIOS setup program.
Tap F2 and enter the bios. Tab down to the Post Behavior setting and enable Numlock. Save settings and exit.

September 24th, 2018 12:00

Jesse,

Thanks for the link. However, the X15 9570 does not have blue numbers on certain keys so that makes it impossible to use keyboard input for special characters. The character I wish to enter is ALT + 0165 - the degree symbol. How can I do that on a keyboard with no numpad or secondary character on certain keys?

This appears to be a major oversight by Dell. What was a simple action on my old Acer Travelmate is now extremely difficult with the Dell XPS15.

I don't see how the Function Key option in the BIOS can help with this problem. Can you explain please?

September 24th, 2018 12:00

I've got it working but it's a terrible situation when there are no blue secondary numbers on the keys.

The degree symbol is Fn + Alt + MJ70.

Hardly something I will be able to remember so I'm going to have to create a document with the keys for the more popular characters.

Sorry Dell but I really think you have messed up here on a laptop costing nearly £1000. :Confused:

1 Message

January 28th, 2020 19:00

I can't get this to work on my XPS13 9360. Do you use caps lock for the M & J, or for the whole time, or not at all. Any help would be great.

• 

25.1K Posts

January 28th, 2020 20:00

Shaftrill, 

Thanks for sharing the Service Tag. I've created a support ticket for you and will continue to interact over private note to safeguard your privacy. 

Dell-RonnieR

24 Posts

January 28th, 2020 20:00

What I do for unicode characters is copy them from webpages. Clunky, but it works.

No Events found!