Start a Conversation

Unsolved

NS

3 Posts

July 30th, 2021 11:00

How to disable modern standby in Windows 21H1

My new XPS 15 9510 is running Windows 10 21H1 and would not sleep or hibernate no matter what I tried.  I understood that it had to do with Modern Standby and wanted to disable that feature, but the newest Windows 10 build does not support the previous Power registry setting "CsEnabled = 0".  After days of researching, I finally located the registry setting that successfully disabled Modern Standby thanks to someone who posted it somewhere!  My laptop now sleeps and/or hibernates when I intend it to.

To disable Windows Modern Connected Standby, run this command in an elevated command prompt or Powershell without the quotation marks:

"reg add HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power /v PlatformAoAcOverride /t REG_DWORD /d 0"

Microsoft's insistence on keeping PCs connected when in a suspended state for many reasons has neglected the fact that there are many reasons for NOT maintaining connections and allowing PCs to truly sleep or hibernate as they have in the past.  I hope they realize that by adding simple option in the power settings to enable or disable connected standby would make things much more convenient.  Obviously, those settings could be enforced through group policies if required.

• 

25.1K Posts

July 30th, 2021 11:00

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution. In the meantime, you may also receive assistance or suggestions from the community members.

26 Posts

September 1st, 2021 11:00

unfortunately  it didn't work for my XPS 17 on Windows 11 and now it freezes completely each time when try to send it to the Sleep Mode

Any ideas how to revert it?

2 Posts

September 23rd, 2021 09:00

Just delete the key from the registry.

1 Rookie

• 

80 Posts

October 21st, 2021 10:00

Are there other ways to disable Connected Standy with Windows 11? My Dell 7706 leaves sometimes the display on and does not switch to standby. It will fully empty the battery until the Laptop switch off.

Opened today a thread in german forum: https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron/Dell-7706-2in1-Probleme-mit-WD19TB-Akku-nach-abziehen-am-Morgen/m-p/8057508#M2181

9 Posts

November 19th, 2021 22:00

I was pleased to find your post Neal, sadly this setting didn't work for my Inspiron 16 Pro on Windows 11. Sleep activated and fan still running.

16 Posts

December 4th, 2021 06:00

I have the same problem. I own Dell Vostro 3500 11th Gen with Windows 11 21H2 installed with the latest BIOS (1.9.0) and updated drivers from dell support. I saw that my laptop is listed in the Dell tested for Windows 11.
I have an issue with modern standby as the laptop gets very hot when in sleep mode, the fan spins 100%, no response, have to force shutdown losing my unsaved work. The Hybrid sleep has been disabled from the firmware level. At least we should get the option to activate it from BIOS.

Dell should fix this issue.

1 Message

January 13th, 2022 04:00

Just a heads up. When you put the laptop to sleep it doesn't actually go to sleep till the sleep time specified in Windows Settings reaches. That's why the fans keep spinning even when you put the laptop to sleep. I suggest you also lower your sleep times in settings for Battery and especially AC. Also try adapting the habit of turning on airplane mode before you put the laptop to sleep. This will save a lot of battery power even with Modern Standby. 

1 Message

January 29th, 2022 05:00

As of 2021, on my XPS 9570, I had to also run these two commands for the registry changes to take effect:

POWERCFG /SETACVALUEINDEX 381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e SUB_NONE CONNECTIVITYINSTANDBY 0
POWERCFG /SETDCVALUEINDEX 381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e SUB_NONE CONNECTIVITYINSTANDBY 0

I found these in this Dell whitepaper on connected "modern" standby, pg 5:

https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_solutions_int/esuprt_solutions_int_solutions_resources/client-mobile-solution-resources_white-papers45_en-us.pdf

This is dated 2019, so may not be valid anymore. But at least it's something technical from Dell. I also add all of the registry values I've collected from the web:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power]
"CsEnabled"=dword:00000000
"EnforceDisconnectedStandby"=dword:00000001
"PlatformAoAcOverride"=dword:00000000
No Events found!