Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

January 15th, 2018 07:00

Intel Iris HD Graphics driver crash on 9350

Dear all,

I'm writing to ask for some help on a problem that based on my reading looks fairly common.

I recently updated drivers through Support Assist on my XPS13 9350. Soon after, I had a black screen. I assumed it to be due to a dead battery. However, after multiple restarts, Safe Mode logins and so forth, I determined that this was due to the Intel HD 540 graphics driver crashing.

As described in other situations, the generic Microsoft driver allows use of the computer, although at a lower resolution and frequent flickering of the screen, and also inability to put the computer to sleep. Intermittently the problem returns, also due to auto-install of the graphics driver during use, and I am having trouble disabling this to prevent it from happening. When installed, the Intel Graphics driver allows use of a secondary screen through USB-C to HDMI, but does not recognize the native screen and does not allow switching to it.

I have updated to the newest available BIOS 1.6.1 and the newest chipset 11.7.0.1035 ,A00.

I tried both the graphics driver on the Dell support site (22.20.16.4836 ,A11) and the latest Intel Graphics driver (15.60.2.4901).

Any help or advice to get this working as it had been previously would be much appreciated. Thanks.

3 Posts

January 23rd, 2018 13:00

I have the exact same problem....

If you need to access your computer, you can always to do with an external monitor. The computer will recognize an external monitor as it's primary monitor. While this is rather inconvenient, it may allow you to backup your files Note that you will need a USB-C adapter to HDMI/VGA adapter. Note that I was also able to boot in safe mode as the display drivers are not loaded and generic drivers are used. For me it started doing this after a Dell update / Windows update. I have tried a Live Ubuntu USB Bootable Drive and the screen works perfectly fine under Ubuntu. I have also tried re-installing windows and no luck, even in the reinstall process the screen goes black which makes me think it's a driver issue or maybe bad screen connection or something.

Dell wants me to send it back and pay for the repair, which I'm about to do. They say it's hardware... one guy says it's the LCD screen, and spoke to another guy who said it was the motherboard. The funny thing, the screen works very well under safe mode which uses basic Microsoft Driver. Also Ubuntu works like a charm. Really seems like they messed up their driver especially that this happened after windows update/BIOS update. I'm thinking it may also have to do with Intel's flaw in their chips. I have asked Dell to cover the repair since I've only had the laptop for 15 month. If they don't pay .

January 31st, 2018 01:00

I have the same issue after a Dell update last week.  Strange flickering (even of the Dell logo at boot), then a totally black screen when the logon screen should be displayed.  I have sadly updated to BIOS 1.1.6 and allowed all Dell updates to happen (Too trusting!)

Tried rolling back to previous restore point, installing video driver from Intel directly - all with no luck.

I managed to disable the Intel Iris 540 device when in safe mode, rebooted and it all seemed to work for a while.

The performance of the generic driver is quite poor for HD video playback though, so I crossed my fingers and allowed the graphics adapter driver update to happen, and it carried on working just fine (no black screen, HD video playback just fine).

The 9350 ran perfectly from Saturday 27/01/18 until this morning, but there must have been another update from somewhere, and now I am back to square one.

Will have to run the generic graphics driver (by disabling the Intel Iris in safe mode) until this whole Spectre BIOS snafu is resolved by Dell/Intel/MS.

3 Posts

February 7th, 2018 06:00

Dell just released a Bios Update (version 1.6.1) on February 6th 2018 for the Dell 9350, I recommend to try that.

I find a little awkward that the previous version of the Dell Bios (the one that had made my screen faulty) was also version 1.6.1 and was released in December. It appears to me as Dell is trying to hide their faulty Bios update.

In my case, I had updated to the latest Bios from Dell in mid January (the Bios Update 1.6.1 dated from December following the Intel Chips Flaw, Dell has removed this faulty Bios update from the download section of their website as it is no longer available  ) 

This Bios update had caused the display drivers to malfunction and only the basic display driver was working.

Since you cannot downgrade your Bios, I had to send my laptop back to Dell. They have basically changed the motherboard with a previous version of the Bios (1.5.1 dated from 2017-08-18 ) and computer works again.

I hope this information is useful for you and let me know if the new Latest Bios Update solves your problem.

2 Posts

February 7th, 2018 14:00

Thanks for your comments. I'm surprised to hear your problem was resolved by a motherboard replacement, as my fix was hardware related also.

Prior to sending it back to Dell for warranty service, I attempted to roll back to 1.5.1 BIOS since I had previously updated to the 1.6.1 version that was available on Dell Support site in December 2017; I was prompted to do so by Support Assist, along with the newest version of the Intel graphics driver. Rolling back to 1.5.1 BIOS was not helpful.

I sent the laptop in for service last Wednesday, and actually got it back today. My understanding is that the LCD was deemed faulty, and it was replaced. The current BIOS is 1.6.1 and the drivers are all up to date according to Support Assist. I hope I don't have any additional issues, but it appears in this case the problem was hardware rather than software. I will look into extending the Dell hardware warranty if I decide to keep the laptop.

February 8th, 2018 05:00

Managed to fix my issue with 9350 Iris and BIOS problems...

Initial problem after updating BIOS to 1.6.1.  Iris graphics adapter had issues - flickering and black screen instead of logon screen, etc.

Couldn't downgrade to BIOS 1.5.1, as it says it is blocked, even when trying '/forecit' switch.

Had to disable the graphics adapter in safe mode, which worked, but performance was poor.  Was going to wait for new BIOS, but couldn't help tinkering.

Eventually managed to downgrade the BIOS to 1.5.1 by using the BIOS recovery feature - pull power, press/hold CTRL and ESC, put power back in and keep holding down the buttons until the BIOS recovery screen appears.  Click recover BIOS or some such option (I forget).

Booted into Win10, enabled the Iris adapter, and all is working fine now.

This issue may have been a hardware issue for others, but I was kind of sure mine was BIOS/firmware/driver related, as the 9350 worked fine in dual boot with Ubuntu.

Hope this is useful to someone!

16 Posts

February 18th, 2018 14:00

This has been a nightmare now for more than 10 days. I followed DELL Update Assist wizard and updated on 8/2/2018

Since then the only way to login into the my XPS 13 9350 i7,512GB nvme is to connect it to the dock as I can only see a black screen on it(on bootup I only see the dell logo and then goes black). 

I disabled the Intel Iris 540 Driver and laptop works fine (but then I cannot connect dock to have external monitor).

It is a mess. I am almost giving up now. Dell in Malta told me that a screen replacement of €770 will fix it.  But I see that the screen works when I disable the Intel Iris 540 driver.

Current bios is 1.6.1. I cannot manage to downgrade the bios.  If I boot up laptop with Ubuntu bootable usb it still loads a black screen after the grub loads. I'm comfused.

I wish Dell themselves give us some input on this. There are too many people with this issue.

12 Posts

March 14th, 2018 11:00

Try Ubuntu 18.04 - it works.

16 Posts

March 15th, 2018 13:00

Yes that is the only way. Thank you!!

1 Message

December 7th, 2021 15:00

hello can you pls help me i am having the same problem now. I have a dell inspiron 17 7000 series not matter what i do nothings works can you tell me whats wrong with my laptop ?

No Events found!