Start a Conversation

Unsolved

TH

41 Posts

April 9th, 2019 09:00

Keyboard "cover" for when you are using your XPS as a tablet...

Hello all -- I am brand new to this forum, and wanted to jump right in! LOL. I have an XPS 15, loaded, top of the line Pro Support service, tech support, etc., plan and coverage...and the machine is very good. I am sure I am only using it to a fraction of it's capabilities, but, hey, I am technologically handicapped, LOL.

So, when I use my XPS as a tablet, the keyboard is on the other side of the street. It could be in my hands, or face down on a surface. Is there any "cover" or protective sleeve type thing I can get to protect the keyboard? I notice then when I put it face down on a smooth, nice surface, like my desk in the office, not only can the laptop "slide" a bit, but it can leave marks on my desk.

Any cover or protective sleeve, or anything I can buy to help me with this? Thank you in advance!

31 Posts

April 10th, 2019 10:00

Try the premier sleeve that Dell sells separately from the laptop.  You can also purchase a generic one for cheaper

April 10th, 2019 11:00

Thank you! I have that sleeve -- it's excellent. However, it's more used for transporting/carrying the laptop when you don't want to carry an entire bag. It's very nice. I like it. But I can't use it when I am using the device as a tablet.

Thanks again.

31 Posts

April 10th, 2019 19:00

Why not?  You can just put the sleeve underneath the laptop when you're using it on a surface

April 11th, 2019 04:00

On a surface, yes! You are absolutely correct! More often, I find myself carrying or "cradling" the tablet, walking, etc.

Thanks.

1 Message

April 5th, 2021 09:00

ever find such a "cover"?

December 20th, 2021 11:00

I'm also looking for protection of the keyboard while in tablet mode .  Are there any products available that serve this purpose.

November 7th, 2022 13:00

I'm looking for something to protect the underside of the computer when it's in tablet mode and I'm in clinic resting on my knees (who knows what muck might be on my knees) or stood holding it with my left hand and it resting on my left forearm while I note stuff with my pen held in my right hand. I think I am going to try and make something out of some sort of closed cell flexible non-dusty light packing material that I will have to stick/cut/mould/gaffer tape together to do what I want since despite numerous searches I cannot find what I am after

November 7th, 2022 17:00

No, I have not found anything. I've used the equivalent of large mouse pad when in my office, in my conference room, etc. -- but when I am out it doesn't work I have to keep turning the device, sharing it, moving it around, etc. -- and whatever I put it on doesn't slide with it. There should be a protective cover to use when it tablet mode whether you are carrying it, cradling it, or on a desk/table. Thanks!

1 Message

January 21st, 2023 19:00

I had this same question.  It doesn't seem like there has been a solution to this issue. 

January 22nd, 2023 07:00

So, I never found any type of cover -- or even anything that could solve this issue. However, what I did do, and was not happy with the outcome -- was that I bought a neoprene sleeve. Just a thin, simple, sleeve. Whenever needed I put the sleeve on the table and off I went. Did it work well? No. Was it better than leaving it on the hard table? Yes. Was it better than leaving it on any surface? Yes. But then you have to grab it, hold it up against the laptop -- which you are using as a tablet-type device -- when you are walking, taking notes, etc. No, didn't work well at all.

More to follow...have to run to a meeting. LOL.

January 22nd, 2023 09:00

So, part two, LOL. First, since I posted this, my XPS 15 has died a very heroic death, LOL. I've replaced that with a brand new, state of the art, top of the line 17" XPS. However, second, I met an accountant who uses a 15" XPS and here's what he did -- he bought a neoprene sleeve, cut it in half so it's only one side. He put in an elastic string on all four corners to ensure a snug fit. When he's using his laptop as a tablet, taking notes, etc. -- he pulls out the cover, puts it on, and he's off to the races. It's really a cool, home-made DIY solution.  It looks good, and allows him to use the device in full tablet mode. Even when it's sitting on the desk and the screen is pointed at someone, the keyboard is protected as it's not touching the desk, nor scratching it. Overall, pretty decent solution. Thanks.

No Events found!