Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 23rd, 2018 02:00

LCD Leaking very sticky liquid

I have a 4 year old XPS 12 - the one with the really useful reversible screen.

Just recently I've noticed a very sticky liquid leaking out of one corner of the screen.  There are now bright and dark patches on the screen near where it's leaking. As well as round the screen the sticky stuff gets onto the base of the laptop where I rest my hands to type. lt's really hard to clean off and I'm worried it may be toxic.

There has been no physical damage to the laptop at all - it just started leaking.  Is this a common fault or is it a sign of a defect in the design and manufacture?

Is there anything that can be done to fix it?

Thanks

Mike G

10 Elder

• 

23.2K Posts

February 23rd, 2018 03:00

It's not toxic (assuming you don't ingest it), but it means the display panel or assembly needs to be replaced.

That may cost more than you want to spend on a system that's this old.

1 Message

April 19th, 2018 16:00

Mine is doing the same, any idea on the cost to replace screen?

Thanks

1 Message

July 31st, 2018 00:00

I have the same problem .. I use  xps12 and warranty expired.  :(

1 Message

August 6th, 2018 00:00

Yep, same problem here on the XPS12 9Q33. Had the bubbles for a couple of years. Initially it was just one or two which I could live with. Typically when I thought I should get it sorted before the warranty expired they disappeared for a short period before coming back with a vengeance once the warranty had expired. The screen has subsequently started leaking profusely. Incredibly sticky stuff and as others have said difficult to wash off. Finally got round to calling Dell support and just been quoted £403 to get the screen replaced. Such a shame as otherwise a great laptop and still meets my needs but I guess the money is best put towards a new machine. Hate having to dispose of an otherwise good laptop.

I see elsewhere Dell were replacing XPS12 screens that were out of warranty for screen burning issues, but doesn't look like this particular defect was covered. Although my screen has a mosaic of patterns now, it's difficult to tell what is screen burn and what is loss of adhesive.

2 Posts

August 10th, 2018 22:00

Have the same trouble with my XPS12 and was quoted by DELL with a price I can by a new unit.

Idk if other laptop brands have the same issue with their LCD touch panels. Otherwise, this seemed a manufacturing problem and DELL should take care of it.  At least repair/replacement should be at a reasonable price.

2 Posts

August 10th, 2018 22:00

Have the same trouble with my XPS12 and was quoted by DELL with a price I can by a new unit.

Idk if other laptop brands have the same issue with their LCD touch panels. Otherwise, this seemed a manufacturing problem and DELL should take care of it.  At least repair/replacement cost should be at a reasonable price.

1 Message

August 30th, 2018 06:00

Found the same issue this week with my four-year old XPS13.  It's still functional after disabling the touch screen but ordered a new one this morning.  Dell should take steps to address this known issue.

September 17th, 2018 01:00

Been having the same problem with my 5yr old XPS12 9Q33.

The screen died out on me in April. Was quoted about EUR450 for diagnosis & to have the screen replaced, but it would take 3 weeks or so. Couldn't schedule it. Decided to bin it.

Last week, I gave it another shot, and determined that it could be rescued. It was after this that I noticed the sticky glue-like thingy leaking out of the display. Very sticky liquid, odorless, and colorless.

Called Dell & got the part number for the display unit.

I ordered the replacement unit from www.itpartshelp.com for USD271.40 including delivery. Not bad I think. Can't wait for the part to arrive (5 business day international delivery). I love my XPS too much to bin it.

I'd advise anyone with similar problems to call Dell with your Service Tag, and get the exact number. I've noticed that even within the 9Q33 model, there appear to be several different part numbers for the display unit.

1 Message

October 24th, 2018 13:00

Even  I am facing same problem.... So many people facing same problem it states that its DELL faulty design or manufacturing defect ......... We trusted DELL and now we want justice.

January 14th, 2019 05:00

Same thing here on my XPS 12 9Q33

January 18th, 2019 11:00

Same problem here. I do not think it's a sporadic problem. I think it's Dell's own neglect. Almost a year and no answer until today. Have they heard of recall? My next notebook will be Apple. They respect customers...

By the way, how do clean that sticky stuff???

1 Message

January 23rd, 2019 00:00

I have 2 dell xps with same problems and Today i am going to do some experiment on them to fix this or at least clean it up... I will Let you know guys

1 Message

January 25th, 2019 03:00

Hi ejn63, how do you know the liquid is not toxic? Do you know what kind material it is? How do you come wot the conclusion that its not toxic? Cheers Marcccccc

1 Message

February 6th, 2019 12:00

Same problem here.  too bad, I like dell and have bought my last 6 laptops as dell.  Support on a laptop that is clearly an issue has very poor.  Buy a screen is not really an answer to poor design and support.

Shame...

No Events found!