Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

3 Posts

August 13th, 2019 13:00

Laptop turns on for 3 sec then shuts off

Hi,

I have a Dell XPS 14 Z and it turns on for about 3 seconds and then immediately shuts down. The keyboard lights, fan, etc run on but nothing on the screen. Any ideas of what I can do? Laptop is no longer under warranty.

Thanks!!!

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

August 13th, 2019 14:00

Good day,

You'll need to do a couple things in order to narrow this down:

1. Pull the battery

2. Unplug the power

3. Remove the memory, hard drive and any cards like WIFI

4. Plug the power only back in

Try to power on the unit. If the unit still shuts down after 3 seconds, it's a motherboard problem. If it doesn't shut down anymore, you'll need to add back in one of the components I mentioned above, one at a time and test power after each one; to find out which one caused the issue. Process of elimination basically.

If still under the purchased warranty, click the "Get Help Now" icon on the right to start a live chat session.

(edited)

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

August 13th, 2019 14:00

Good day,

You'll need to do a couple things in order to narrow this down:

1. Pull the battery

2. Unplug the power

3. Remove the memory, hard drive and any cards like WIFI

4. Plug the power only back in

Try to power on the unit. If the unit still shuts down after 3 seconds, it's a motherboard problem. If it doesn't shut down anymore, you'll need to add back in one of the components I mentioned above, one at a time and test power after each one; to find out which one caused the issue. Process of elimination basically.

If the issue is not resolved, use the "Get Help Now" option at the bottom right to chat with a Dell technician right away.

DellRamanS_0-1647584867018.png

3 Posts

August 15th, 2019 13:00

Thank you so much, I was sure the motherboard was finished but after I followed your steps turns out it's just the memory that's toast! Much easier fix haha. Now to find out if I can upgrade to 8GB while I'm at it....

3 Posts

August 15th, 2019 13:00

Thank you so much, I was sure the motherboard was finished but after I followed your steps turns out it's just the memory that's toast! Much easier fix haha. Now to find out if I can upgrade to 8GB while I'm at it....

Note: This comment was created from a merged conversation originally titled Re: Laptop turns on for 3 sec then shuts off

September 26th, 2019 20:00

Did you just replace the RAM and it turned on fine? I was having the same issue and I went through these steps too, it only started happening when I reinstalled the RAM

No Events found!