Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 5th, 2018 13:00

New Thunderbolt 3 Firmware Update (A08) ready, but needs New Driver

I have downloaded the new Thunderbolt 3 Firmware for the TB16 dock (Intel_TBT3_FW_UPDATE_NVM26_FJJK7_A08_4.26.11.001), but it says I need to install the new Thunderbolt Driver first and I cannot find a new driver anywhere. Has the driver been released? If so, where is it? If not, why would a new firmware be released without the prerequisite driver? Thank you, Tyler

21 Posts

April 6th, 2018 12:00

I had the HDMI problem on my 9560.  You can roll back to the October firmware by launching it with the /f switch from the command line (for 'force' I assume), that worked.

Just installed the new firmware, didn't ask me for a new driver.  Can't test if HDMI works right now, hopefully they fixed that.

8 Posts

April 5th, 2018 14:00

@jphughan

Thanks much, I have a XPS 9550 and check for updates on the dell pages almost daily for the laptop and the TB16 dock.

Unfortunately, only the new firmware has come through, but no driver update. 

I guess we just wait for the driver update to be able to run the firmware update after.

Tyler

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

April 5th, 2018 14:00

The Thunderbolt firmware update applies to the Thunderbolt controller in your system, not the dock itself.  You didn't mention which system you have, but typically if you go to support.dell.com for your system and search Thunderbolt, you'll find a package called Thunderbolt Software or maybe just Thunderbolt Driver -- that's the package the firmware updater is referring to.  If you don't see a new version of that yet, then I agree it's odd that Dell would have released a firmware update before the prerequisite driver/software update, but in that case I would expect it to arrive shortly.  Maybe one team completed their internal QA a bit sooner than the other or something.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

April 5th, 2018 15:00

Ah ok.  Well on the plus side, it's nice to see the 9550 getting a Thunderbolt firmware update after all this time.  Some accessories like eGPU enclosures and some adapters specify that NVM18 or better is required, but Dell has kept the 9550 stuck on NVM16 for a really long time, even though they've provided updates for other systems that use the exact same Thunderbolt controller hardware, which has resulted in several threads on here from annoyed 9550 owners who have wanted to do things like run an eGPU.  And then one of the updates completely broke the HDMI port and couldn't be rolled back, so motherboards had to be replaced, which certainly didn't help matters.

8 Posts

April 6th, 2018 12:00

@delliberate

Well, oddly enough I was able to update the firmware today as well on my 9550 without it failing and indicating I needed to update the driver first! Yesterday, I even tried rebooting, etc. to no avail.

Case closed.

8 Posts

April 6th, 2018 13:00

Oh yeah...the whole replying to a post and then it telling you to login and the post disappearing was an annoyance I discovered yesterday!

21 Posts

April 6th, 2018 13:00

Good.  Yeah Dell software moves in mysterious ways, something that can cripple their otherwise excellent hardware.

Case in point, submitting a reply here then asks you to log on.  When you do, it then loses your reply - great.

No Events found!