Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 21st, 2020 09:00

New XPS 15 9500 will not power on properly after updating to BIOS 1.3.1

I received my laptop yesterday and it was working perfectly, I decided to run the Dell update tool today (which updated my BIOS to 1.3.1) and now it will not power on correctly.

When I press the power button the laptop does not turn on and a solid amber status LED turns shows.The amber light does not blink or turn white so I cannot find any relevant error message for my scenario. NOTE: the amber LED only turns on when I have the power button pressed down and it disappears once i remove my finger from the power button

Additionally if I press the power button once, shut the lid, wait approx 5-10 minutes and reopen the lid (without touching the power button) the laptop boots up as normal. Restarts work as expected as well as resuming from sleep, however, the problem reappears when I shut down the laptop completely and try to power it back on.

I've run the preboot diagnostics tool (in advanced mode) as well the SupportAssist diagnostics tool( Full test) , both scans showed no problems with my laptop. Thanks

7 Posts

September 23rd, 2020 12:00

Just to tie this up, the solution was to get a refund/replacement unit

• 

25.1K Posts

August 21st, 2020 09:00

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution via private messages to ensure the security of your information. In the meanwhile, you may receive assistance or suggestions from the community members as well.

15 Posts

August 21st, 2020 22:00

I have this exact same problem with my 9500, too. Have to wait 10 mins after shutdown before it can be booted, and also it will not charge during that time or respond to any keyboard combinations such as D+power, or Ctrl+ESC+plug in. Basically completely unresponsive apart from amber light when pressing power button. Disconnecting battery and clearing flea power does nothing.

This started from the previous BIOS update, 1.2.1, and the update to 1.3.1 did not fix.

It also affects resume from hibernation, which is when it mostly catches me out. This is only while running on battery, plugged in everything is fine. It can be triggered though by shutting down while plugged in and then unplugging = 10 minute wait to reboot or to resume charging.

What was the resolution? It would be good if Dell or the OP could post a response so that others can know what to do.

• 

25.1K Posts

August 22nd, 2020 03:00

I'm unable to view the image.

Could you note down the "Intel management engine corporate firmware update" version here for me to review? 

7 Posts

When trying to update the bios again, I've seen that the "Intel management engine corporate firmware update" does NOT show my current version number, perhaps this firmware was corrupted/damaged as part of the Dell update utility  bios update process.intel management engine pic.png

Even after re-updating bios the missing version number does not reappear.

7 Posts

The Intel management engine corporate firmware update payload does not show me the current version at all (it is blank), all it says is that the new version is 14.0.39.1339.

All of the the other payloads in the firmware update show me the current and new version correctly.

7 Posts

August 22nd, 2020 06:00

Also Intermittently upon booting up i get the message:

BIOS Auto-Recovery

BIOS corruption has been detected and Auto-Recovery has been triggered!

• 

25.1K Posts

August 22nd, 2020 13:00

Hi, 

Thank you for writing to us. I truly apologize for the delay in responding to you. Due to the current situation, we’re facing an overwhelming spike in the volume of customers reaching out to us.

I request you to perform BIOS recovery and then update the BIOS. 

I am adding videos to make it easier for you to follow. Let me know if you are stuck at any point during the troubleshooting, and I’d be glad to help you. 

https://dell.to/3ldGcrY

https://dell.to/2YnMDyw

Regards, 

Madhushree M 

7 Posts

August 22nd, 2020 15:00

Hi,

I carried out your recommended steps but the problem is still happening as it did before.

Thanks

15 Posts

August 23rd, 2020 06:00

I've occasionally been getting the BIOS auto-recovery glitch too. I think it's still related to power, though, since I only get it when I'm impatient and don't wait enough time before trying to reboot. There seems to be a transient state where it can start to boot but doesn't have enough power so fails the integrity check, triggering the recovery. A sign that this is going to happen is that the fans first come on at full speed.

I can't help but think that this is somehow related to the fact that the 9500 is the first Dell laptop I know of that doesn't have a separate CMOS coin cell battery (as far as I can tell, and judging from the service manual), so everything's running from the main battery. My guess is that some capacitor isn't recharging properly or at the right time.

15 Posts

September 23rd, 2020 19:00

Thanks for the update Xephi, I hope Dell-CARES reads this as they're still making me jump through hoops like sending Windows event logs and asking me to make a video of the problem for a second time after a whole month of similar requests..

3 Posts

October 14th, 2020 09:00

Just got the same issue on a brand new XPS 15 9500, i7, 16gb machine.

I am just happy I started with updating all drivers etc.. and when it reboots and start to updating the bios it just cut off the power after a few minuts - and now i can't turn it on.

HELP Dell..... heeeelp...
I hope Dell support will help fix this easy and fast. 

1 Message

March 21st, 2021 20:00

I have the  same issue and mine been doing this for months. Dell is no help. Because I purchased the monthly warranty and let lapse when the pandemic hit. which override and manufacture warranty that came with laptop.  Now dell is richer and I am stuck with $2700 paper weight.

No Events found!