Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 10th, 2022 00:00

New XPS 9520 - Thunderbolt Problem & Display specification issue

I have just received a new XPS 9520 (upgraded from a 2018 xps model) with the 15.6 UHD+ (3840 x2400) AR 500Nit display. However windows reports the display as having a peek brightness of 400Nits. Can anyone shed any light on if this is Windows reporting the wrong info, I have a defective/wrong display fitted, or is the Website reporting the wrong technical specification?

Secondly I have 2 thunderbolt docs, connected to external displays (one a Dell WD, the other a pluggable dock). When connected to either dock, the external display will sometime blank for a few seconds then return. There are no assoicated sounds, or events when this happens (windows does not disconnect from the display or dock). These docs work pefectly with my older XPS, my wifes XPS, and a surface laptop pro. I am not able to associate any events in the event logs when the issue occurs.

May 10th, 2022 08:00

After doing some research it appears there is an issue with the Intel GPU drivers for 11th & 12th gen CPUs when trying to connect to an external monitor through a dock at 4K 60Hz which causes blank/black screens.

To mitigate this issue I created a custom resolution for 4K 30Hz for the external monitor, and the problem went away.

Not a fix, but it mitigates the issue until Intel resolve the problem(which has persisted across a few versions of the driver already).

Update May 16 =

As to the Thunderbolt display problem, I am in contact with Intel, and over the course of running some tests for them I have discovered the following:

The issue is limited to Windows with Thunderbolt docks connected via HDMI 4K 60Hz. Running the same monitor over DP with the dock is fine. Additionally, I have dual booted the laptop into Fedora Linux (36) and everything works fine including HDMI 4K 60Hz, which proves that there is no issue with any of the hardware involved. It is just down to Intel's Windows display driver.

As far as I am concerned both these issues are now closed from a Dell perspective. I will continue to work with Intel to address their driver problems.

13 Posts

July 16th, 2022 19:00

Just received my XPS 9520 and I cannot find thunderbolt service/software. Intel driver assistant can't detect any thunbderbolt. The option are on in the BIOS. My TB19 dock are not working on both port and I cannot detect a MOTU 1248 audio card. It's like windows cannot detect any thunderbolt port on this laptop

No Events found!