Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 15th, 2018 08:00

Precision M3800, can't turn off Adaptive Brightness

Hello everyone,

since a while I'm having a weird problem with my M3800 with QHD display without knowing what caused it. It might have changed with the last major Windows update, but I'm not sure.

When I got the computer I immediatly turned off the adaptive brightness feature but now, after almost 3 years, it turned itself ON again. On top of that, all the regular solutions to turn it off failed on me because the sliders, buttons and checkboxes to do so are just not there. (as you can see in the provided screenshots - they're german though. but as you can see in the power options even there the slider for the brightness is missing)

It's the same case for the intel graphics adapter options... everything related to adaptive brightness is not there.

Does anyone know what happend and how I can turn my computer back to be usable without shining bright light onto the sensor?

I'm also not sure if it correlates but the new power options of windows (balanced being the only one) also seem to be corrupt in a way since when I click on the battery symbol I am not shown the slider to choose wether I want to save energy or have full power.

I'm kind of lost here... any ideas?

----

UPDATE:

When I start the Laptop it starts with the real maximum brightness (unaffected by the brightness sensors' calibration). it's only then, that when I press the function key to lower it, it jumps down a whole lot of steps in brightness and pressing the button to increase brightness then will just increase it by a little bit since the sensor seems to be ON again and deems my environment to be too dark for maximum brightness.

When i run the power-troubleshoot thing in the windows settings right after starting the laptop (now still in real maximum brightness) the outcome is that it tells me, that the display is to bright - and then it activates the sensor. But still I got absolutely no option anywhere to turn that "feature" off manually.

----

SECOND UPDATE

Even if I end the SensrSvc Service which is in charge of this feature its function (brightness lowers in dim environments) keeps working.

all the best from hamburg, germany

Daniel

Slider's goneSlider's gone

No brightness slider hereNo brightness slider here

Screen (Bildschirm) has only one option - when to turn offScreen (Bildschirm) has only one option - when to turn off

November 22nd, 2018 10:00

How to Enable or Disable Adaptive Brightness in Windows 10

OPTION 2 on this page actually turned adaptive brightness off. No clue what Microsoft thought about this as it seems that they removed the option by choice.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

August 1st, 2022 06:00

Check this article on how to adjust the brightness to correct a dim screen in Windows 8 or Windows 10

CABC = Content Adaptive Brightness Control
DBC = Dynamic Backlight Control

If you do not see in the:

* BIOS = CABC, DBC, or EcoPower
* Windows 10 Settings = System- Display Adjust my screen brightness automatically

Then CABC/DBC cannot be turned off. This is by design on some models when on battery only and will not be changed. Just plug the AC power adapter in to resolve the issue.

November 18th, 2018 12:00

November 19th, 2018 03:00

Hey, thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately it's these options (enable/disable adaptive brightness in power options) that are completely missing in my system. :(

199 Posts

November 19th, 2018 04:00

I understand. Are your drivers (anything power or display or video driver-related) up to date? How about the laptop's BIOS?

These other 3800 owners found it. You're looking for the "adaptive brightness" adjustment. I turned it off as soon as I could find it. Go to Control Panel/Power Options/Change plan settings/Change advanced power settings. This should bring up the main Power Options window. Scroll down to Display and open to see "Enable adaptive brightness." There you can turn on and off for battery/plugged in.

199 Posts

November 19th, 2018 06:00

Interesting.

I have a Precision 7730 running Win10, and on the web, I found these recommended Power settings were supposed to be easy to find and change:

For Windows 10

1. In the Search box, type Settings.
  2. Touch or click Settings (Modern application).
  3. Touch or click System.
  4. On the Display screen find the Adjust my screen brightness automatically option.
  5. Touch or click the slider to toggle the option on or off.
  6. Touch or click Apply.
  7. Close the System window.

However, I did not use this. Instead

• I typed "Settings" in the Cortana search, then
  • I selected Power & sleep, then
  • "Additional power settings", then
  • I selected a custom plan, then
  • "Change Plan settings", then
  • "Change advanced power settings", then
  • "Display | Enable adaptive brightness" then
  • I made sure" On battery" and "Plugged in" were set to Off. (I could change these on my system).

Is it possible, you have to choose a custom plan, maybe create one first, to be able to turn these off? Try it.

November 19th, 2018 06:00

Hi Sfortin,

as I mentioned before - it's not that I can't find them, the options are missing from where they should be. (Power Menu, Win10 Display Settings, Intel Graphics Settings)

The only option I'm given at the menu of the solution you suggested is after what time of idle the display should be turned off.

Drivers and Bios are up-to-date, double checked.

November 19th, 2018 08:00

Thanks for trying to help me, I'm getting a little frustrated as I can't find that anyone ever had the same problem - it's really weird.

The first option:

As you can see, no switch to turn it off - interestingly it still shows the calibration profile of my external screen. Might this be a lead? Might windows somehow mix up my external display (DELL U2713hm without a light sensir) and the laptops own?

The second option:

I created an additional power profile and checked but the options are still missing. As before, the only option to change under "display" is after what time of idle it should turn off.

nothing to find here (bildschirm means display)nothing to find here (bildschirm means display)

No option to turn it offNo option to turn it off

November 19th, 2018 09:00

Even if I end the SensrSvc Service which is in charge of this feature its function (brightness lowers in dim environments) keeps working.

199 Posts

November 19th, 2018 12:00

I understand. I came across one post that suggested they fixed the problem by re-installing Windows. Wow, that's pretty severe.

Then I came across this:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/85503-remove-enable-adaptive-brightness-power-options-windows.html

November 20th, 2018 04:00

Thanks a lot, I didnt come across that so far!

Sadly, I tried it, restarted, but still - nothing here.

That's so annoying. How can something like this just happen?!

199 Posts

November 20th, 2018 05:00

No reboots required!

OK, I just tried this on my computer. I noted that the command prompt (Option One) DID NOT WORK!

I used Option 2 (the downloaded .REG files) and this method worked like a charm. I downloaded both and verified I could remove the option under "Display" and add it back.

Make sure you are using the correct downloaded file. Make sure you are logged into your system as an Administrator. In your browser (I use Chrome), when the file downloads, just click on the file and select "Yes" when warned about modifying your system.

199 Posts

November 20th, 2018 05:00

I think something along these lines is your best shot. Somehow, for some people, Windows seems to have taken the option/settings away.

Are you sure you issued the correct command (the one to restore the options so you can disable the function)? Were you running an elevated instance of cmd when you issued the command? I wonder if you are using the correct GUID here.

I need to look at another post and I'll edit this reply.

Other people complain of certain options disappearing for other (unrelated) things. I think it has to do with Windows' complexity and also the sheer number of variant platforms out there (hardware. drivers. firmware, BIOS). If you think about it, it's quite an accomplishment there isn't more things that get broken when new updates are made available. 

November 21st, 2018 05:00

Hey again...

I'm pretty sure I did everything exactly the way you suggested it. But I digged a little into the registry and made screenshots of the corresponding entries. Sadly I'm not an expert regarding the registry, but maybe there's something messed up in there?

2018-11-21 13_49_11-Registrierungs-Editor.jpg2018-11-21 13_49_34-Registrierungs-Editor.jpg2018-11-21 13_49_49-Registrierungs-Editor.jpg2018-11-21 13_50_04-Registrierungs-Editor.jpg2018-11-21 13_50_23-Registrierungs-Editor.jpg2018-11-21 13_50_42-Registrierungs-Editor.jpg2018-11-21 13_50_54-Registrierungs-Editor.jpg

No Events found!