Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 11th, 2018 16:00

XPS 15 9560, No sound after unplugging headphones

XPS 15 9560, Windows 10 home,  when I start the laptop I have sound , when I plug in headphones I get sound, but when I unplug the headphones I have no sound thru the laptops speakers.  If I restart the laptop the laptop speakers work again, but I get the same results as mentioned about once I plug headphones in.

If I plug the headphones back in I do have sound and the jack and plug is fine, it just takes me restarting the laptop to get the laptop speakers back on.

Has anyone else had this happen and any suggestions to fix it vs restarting the laptop are greatly appreciated.

1 Message

December 5th, 2019 21:00

I had the same issue for the longest time too and tried all sorts of solutions such as reinstalling all my audio drivers and checking if their updated.
I finally found the solution, just go to your task manager-- startup, find HD Audio Background Process and/or Realtek HD Audio _______, disable them and restart your XPS 13, problem fixed then.  
Hope this works for you, I not sure why, but i think this realtek app opens on startup blocks the recognition of any audio cables.

30 Posts

January 12th, 2018 05:00

Hello. If laptop is still under warranty I suggest you contact tech support about the issue.

The computer thinks that a plug remains in the jack socket even after the plug is removed. This can be a software, hardware or firmware issue.

If you have not upgraded the BIOS recently then you can rule out a firmware issue.

If it's a software issue, re-install the Realtek audio driver. If the issue persists you can test the driver by switching to the Windows native audio driver. Let me know if you need instructions for doing that. If the issues goes away with the native driver then the it is being caused by the Realtek driver. If the issue persists while the native driver is installed, then it is probably not a driver issue and could be hardware.

Hardware. If the sensor is defective it could be falsely signaling that there is a plug in the jack when there is not, then being reset by restarting. There is no specific hardware test to identify that defect, but if you revert the laptop to the original factory configuration (system recovery) and the problem persists immediately afterward -- before Windows Update has a chance to alter the configuration -- then it is a hardware or BIOS issue, not software.

PS are you sure the model is 9650, because I can't reference to that model in support. It could be so new that the resouces haven't been posted yet. There is a 9560 model listed.

26 Posts

January 19th, 2018 20:00

Thanks it is a 9560 model xps sorry about that, I need to figure out what bios i have and what the newest is, and I have no idea how to do the drivers for audio but I can google around or look at dell.com and see if I can figure it out, it's actually driving me a bit batty.

It is under warranty but my last experience with them and a bad motherboard was a complete disaster, so I sure will do what I can first.

26 Posts

January 19th, 2018 20:00

I am running the dell systemsupport app and it found 6 things to update including bios ethernet chipset serial ata host controller and video drivers no audio but will see after its all done if the bios thing may fix it?

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

January 20th, 2018 05:00

The XPS 9550 model was prone to a similar problem. One or 2 people also mentioned it with the 9560 but don't remember if anyone had posted a solution. If they did I failed to add it to the Recent Issues FAQ (see the XPS section).

The way to test the realtek driver by switching to the native driver:

1. Open the Device Manager.
2. Expand the "Sound, Video & Game Controllers" section.
3. Right click on "Realtek High Definition Audio" and select to uninstall.
4. Put a check mark in the option to delete the driver software, and then ok.
5. Restart the laptop.

When the laptop boots up, it will look for Realtek files. If none found then it will install the native driver. If an earlier version of a Realtek driver had been downloaded then its files could still be in the laptop and Windows would install that version of the Realtek, not the native driver. So after step 5, go back to the Device Manager and check again for a Realtek driver. Keep uninstalling & restarting until "Realtek" no longer appears under Sound...Controllers. If you see "High Definition Audio Device" that is the native driver, although in Win10 it can have a different name.

After you finish testing, if you want the Realtek driver back you need to download a new copy of it from your support page and install it in the usual way.

6 Posts

September 1st, 2018 18:00

Even I have the same problem audio stopped working after i Unplug my earphones.

And I tried uninstalling realtek and restart but it automatically downloads realtek audio drivers.

So can u help me what to do

Thank you.

31 Posts

March 12th, 2019 04:00

I've been fighting this for too long.  Going through the delete/restart procedure.  Is it normal for MANY loops through this process?

Jim

• 

17K Posts

March 12th, 2019 05:00

FloridaJimL,

What is the computer model? Once you unplug the headphones do you go into the sound properties and make the speakers the default playback device?

For my notes, click my username and send me the pc service tag number via private message as well as your Registered name
Email address
Phone number

31 Posts

March 12th, 2019 08:00

xps15 9550

If I am getting sound from the speakers and then plug in the headphone. audio from the speakers stops and I get prompted to choose.  I select headphones. then I get no sound through headphones.  I unplug, get  message (realtek) that the device was unplugged.  Now no sound anywhere. Plug in again and in know something was plugged in.

Have to go through sound troubleshooter to get it back.

April 18th, 2019 16:00

I just the same issue on my computer.  I don't understand drivers precisely, so anyone please correct me if I'm explaining this wrong.

The problem occurred because I have two audio drivers.  When I plugged in the headphones, they were detected and played through Dell (NVIDIA High Definition Audio).  But my external speakers are running through the Speakers/Headphones Realtek Audio Driver.  After disconnecting the headphones, all the sounds that were being played through the headphones are still trying to play through the NVIDIA driver. 

Solution (for me):
1) Disconnect headphones
2) Open the Windows Volume Mixer
3) Check Device to see if there's a dropdown (i.e. mine had both Dell (NVIDIA High Definition Audio) and Speakers/Headphones), but all of the applications were playing through the Dell profile, which was what my headphones were playing through.
4) Double click the device that is still trying to play the audio, and choose Device usage: Don't use this device (disable).

If that's your problem, it should instantly start playing sounds through the speakers, and next time you connect your headphones it will play them through the Speakers/Headphones profile (no longer the NVIDIA, or secondary driver). Thus, both the external speakers and headphones will be run from the same driver and will not have the conflict.

As I said, I don't really grasp how Windows functions when multiple audio drivers are installed and working, but I know that was my problem/solution.

Hope it helps.

31 Posts

April 20th, 2019 16:00

Sadly that fix doesn't seem to work for me.  I have no pull down menu and no NVIDiA sound device /driver.

So, I end up using Bluetooth earbuds which  work fine but for some reason does not seem as easy as plugging in a cord.

Jim

No Events found!