Highlighted
markwny153
1 Copper

Notification from Dell Update: The system has been updated

New Dell XPS 15 running Windows 10.  I've had this computer for 4 days and I get a notification from Dell Update that the system has been updated every time I restart the system.  When I go into Dell Update, it indicates that the last update was 3 days ago.  

1.  Is it normal that I get this notification upon every system restart?  Does it actually mean that the system is up-to-date?

2.  While Dell Update software does show what updates have been done to the system and the version number, it doesn't get any more info, e.g. data/time that update was applied, or summary notes of the update.

106 Replies
Highlighted
dell-robert p
6 Gallium

Re: Notification from Dell Update: The system has been updat

Hi markwny153,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies for the confusion around the updates.

While it's pretty normal for a new system to get updates for a few days after you've registered a new operating system, it can become annoying.  There are updates from Dell, updates from Windows, etc.  

It's not recommended, but if you are wanting to turn off the update notifications, here is information you may find helpful:  

1.Click "Start | All Programs | Dell Support Center | Dell Support Center Alerts." The Dell Support Center program window opens.

2.Select "User Settings" and select the "Alerts" tab.
3.Select "Disable" beneath Notification in the Notification Settings section. Dell Support Alerts are automatically disabled.

If the system is under warranty, please contact me privately. Be sure to include your personal information (name, address, telephone, email) and your computer's service tag number in your message. Thanks.

If there is no warranty, then you could contact our Out of Warranty team to get a quote for a paid service call -http://dell.to/1vnT6CQ

Highlighted
markwny153
1 Copper

I don't have a program called Dell Support Center. I do have the programs Dell Update and SupportAssist. The Dell Update program doesn't have any user settings that I can find. However, SupportAssist has a Notification Enable/Disable. I believe that might be a place that I can turn off the notifications. However, I do think you missed my point. Even though I continue to get the System has been updated messages, the log in Dell Update indicates that the last update I received was days ago. I do like to keep track of what's changing on my computer, but I don't see what updates are occurring.
Highlighted
TeeDee13
1 Copper

Ditto everything markwny153 said (including the absence of Dell Support Center), except my new Dell (XPS 13) is a couple of weeks old. 

Dell Update is not actually updating anything (I'm 100% up to date), yet it continually tells me that it did. 

I'd rather not nuke Dell Update from my system entirely, but will if it keeps lying to me.

Highlighted
FireEmerald
1 Copper

I'm experience the exactly same behavior on a XPS 13 9360. The message is really annoying - could please a support agent reply how to fix this problem? or at least that you are aware of this bug?

Disable all notification is NOT a solution - it's a bad workaround.

Highlighted
Dellimit
1 Copper

Re: Notification from Dell Update: The system has been updated

I'm having the same problem with the update notification on two separate Dell systems, a laptop and a desktop.  Both systems started behaving badly just recently. This is clearly a software problem Dell should fix.

Highlighted
decker12
3 Argentium

Run it once, make sure you're fully up to date on drivers and the BIOS, and then uninstall it. Seeing as Dell won't fix the program, this is the way to solve the problem.

There's no reason to have this program running all the time especially if it's creating other issues such as this endless notification. Dell is not releasing new driver updates every three days, and even if they were, you don't always need to be on the Day 1, instant notification release cycle for these updates.

It's often beneficial to purposely wait a few weeks or longer to make sure these driver updates aren't pulled for some critical compatibility issue that pops up.

I reinstall and run the program about once every 3 months. The added advantage to not having this program installed is that it's one less thing running at startup, taking up system resources.

Highlighted

Hi everyone, 

Thanks for your contributions to the thread. Going by the information provided it would appear that the issues are only related to the latest version of DCU 3.1

As I understand it, the versions of Windows 10 installed,1903 and 1909, are irrelevant as the issue is seen on both revisions.We can rule out that as a potential issue. Its occurring on brand new fresh out of box systems and systems that have running flawlessly for a while. Its also seen across multiple platforms and models.

Previous versions of the DCU software do not have this problem, I am running 2.4 on my system and do not have this problem.

For those that would like to install the previous revisions they can be downloaded from here - https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln311129/dell-command-update?lang=en

I would like to take this to engineering and need some assistance with the following information :-

We have customer who posted yesterday advising that as of the 30th December he is no longer having this problem - can anyone else confirm the issue has been resolved or are you still seeing it?

I'm wondering if you have the same problem if you update from a previous version of DCU to the latest version or if you start with only version 3.1 installed - @decker12 would you be willing to help test this going by your contributions and assistance so far?

For those that are asking about SupportAssist v's DCU (Dell Command | Update) they are two different pieces of software designed by two different vendors. The DCU is designed simply to keep the latest updates in check whereas SupportAssist is an all encompassing support tool designed to give info about PC health in general, support request history etc. The reason that you may see differences in what updates are available is due to catalog update differences. They run on different schedules and are defined by the software vendor. This is the reason why one of them will detect updates that may not show up until a few days later on the other.

I hope this helps and I look forward to your responses.

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
I'm based in the UK and I'm usually available Monday to Friday 9am-4pm GMT
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

Highlighted

@Dell-Alan D  Thank you for your support.  I went through the process of installing version 3.0 of Dell Command|Update today.  Bottom line:  3.0 installed successfully and I'm no longer receiving errant "Updated" messages. 

Here are the details of what I did:

Verified that I'm currently running DCU v3.1
Re-enabled notifications for Dell update (previously disabled)
Restarted computer
Received the errant notification; system has not fixed itself as reported by another user
Uninstalled Dell Update and Dell Update for Windows 10
Downloaded DCU v3.0
Installed DCU v3.0
Received System has been updated notification before completing installation and dismissed it
Clicked "Finish" on install
Restarted computer
Did not receive the "Updated" notification
Ran DCU
Allowed to periodically check for updates
Checked for updates
System up-to-date

There is a problem with the notification in DCU 3.1.  DCU 3.0 doesn't have the problem.

If Dell chooses to "automagically" update DCU to 3.1 without fixing it, I'll simply uninstall it and leave it uninstalled, as recommended by @decker12 

Highlighted
BillS_NC
1 Copper

In reply to Dell - Alan D's post of 12/31/19, as of today's most recent login (12/31/19 @ 3:30 EST), I am still getting the "The system as been updated" notification.

For me, this started with the most recent update from the DCU.

Seems to me this should already be a priority with Dell "engineering".

Happy New Year.