Highlighted
Garisa
1 Copper

Screen flickering on XPS 13 7390 Ubuntu

Hello everyone,

My Dell XPS 13 7390 with the 10th generation i7 processor and Ubuntu 18.04 (Kenel 4.15.0-1065-oem) preinstalled just arrived yesterday. I have updated BIOS to the latest 1.3.1 version. The version of my xserver-xorg-video-intel is 2:2.99.917+git20171229-1 (the newest version from Ubuntu Bionic repositories).

There is a serious problem with screen flickering. It is especially apparent when a full-screen video is played. There is a hiccup every two seconds or so.

I have tried the latest Intel drivers from this PPA (version 2:2.99.917+git1912100730.f66d39~oibaf~b). Still flickers.

I found online that some people had similar issues and have solved them by going from 60.3 Hz screen refresh rate to 48.3 Hz (I don't know where the .3 comes from, those are the options in Ubuntu Display Settings). For me, flickering remains on both frequencies.

Some other people online claim that turning off the adaptive brightness from BIOS helps. It does not help in my case.

First, I would like to report this issue to Dell people responsible for Ubuntu support. What is the official way to do so?

Second, I would like to know if any community members experience this issue and what are the possible workarounds?

In conclusion, this is a deal-breaker for me. If I don't get to solve it in next week or so, I will return the laptop.

Tags (1)
23 Replies
Highlighted
Saysora
1 Copper

Re: Screen flickering on XPS 13 7390 Ubuntu

I too just got a new xps 13 7390 (there was a nice black friday deal) but I am having the same issues. As soon as I opened up the laptop there was major flickering with the ubuntu installer and any subsequent attempts to run ubuntu have screen tearing / flicker that can ultimately just render the screen completely blank of any activity but oddly colored pixels.

I would love to see an official fix by Dell to fix this, since this is a laptop that I use for work and would love the OS that I chose this laptop for specifically (Ubuntu) would actually run and allow me to use it.

For the time being I upgraded to ubuntu 19.10 and have been following a thread by other people who have been working to try and create a fix

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1826125

Hope this helps you, I still get flickering and sometimes to the point of it not recovering, needing a restart, but I can at least use the computer to a degree now.

Highlighted
Garisa
1 Copper

It would be polite from Dell people to at least acknowledge this.

XPS 13 should be their flagship laptop and the version I have on my desk is far from a flagship laptop.

If I get some time before I return it, I will also try the latest kernel in few versions (probably on Arch Linux). But potential buyers have to be aware that this laptop is not usable out of the box (and even the status of the bug you posted is marked "unknown").

At the end of the day, it's not me who put Linux on this laptop. It's Dell. When I purchased it, I expected them to do what I am just about to do. Without them solving the issues we just described, I don't see any viable reason for me as a customer to buy an XPS 13 over some other laptops on the market.

Highlighted
dkatzi
1 Copper

I am having exactly the same laptop XPS 13 7390 2-in-1 that came with Windows 10 and I have exactly the same flickering problem. I have no solution at the moment. I will open a ticket with Dell.

Highlighted
Garisa
1 Copper

Thank you.

Can you please link the ticket here once when you make it?

Highlighted
Saysora
1 Copper

I absolutely agree with you. I really do hope to see them actually respond and address this. Even running the maintenance in the bios shows the laptop all confirms the parts are fine, but the laptop is completely unusable upon arrival. 

Highlighted
dkatzi
1 Copper

I created the ticket last night (Europe time).

Service Request Details:
Service Request: <Service request number removed> Status: Open-Unassigned Created: 11 Dec 2019

Still no response from Dell even if I have ProSupport Warranty.

Highlighted

Hi,
Thanks for sharing the details. I understand that the screen flickers. Let's first check if the issue is happening outside the operating system.
Let’s run the hardware diagnostics.
1) Restart the system.
2) Keep tapping F12 key when the Dell logo appears during the startup.
3) Select diagnostics from the one-time boot menu and run the initial test.
4) Once done, do let me know if you receive any error code and validation code.

You can skip the extended memory test.

You can also refer to the link: https://dell.to/2tdaDIh

Connect the power adapter while running the diagnostics. Check if the flickering occurs here.
Could you also send a Private Message with the following details:
Registered owners name:
Phone Number and Email Address

Regards,
Mausam

DELL-Cares
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
Highlighted
Garisa
1 Copper

I did run the diagnostics and did not receive any errors. The error code is 000.

Flickering is impossible to observe in diagnostics as the diagnostics show only one single static image. Hangs are obvious only when a video is played. I have no doubts that the hangs exist in a picture too, but there is no way for me to prove it. However, you can experience the hangs even when you type fast enough.

Highlighted

Hi,
I hope you're doing well. I am awaiting your response to the earlier message. Did you get a chance to run the hardware diagnostics?

I will go ahead and archive this case for now, as I haven't heard from you. Feel free to reach out if you have any concerns. Here is the reference number for our conversation:46357245

Regards,
Mausam

DELL-Cares
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell