1 Rookie

• 

28 Posts

March 20th, 2023 02:00

Some questions about the XPS 17 (9720 and probably others ) in the Dell pdf's

XPS 17 9720

XPS 17 9720

Start off : XPS 17 9720 Setup and specifications pdf :

Pg 8 :  there are 5 devices ontop of your screen , 1 rgb/IR camera , 2 IR LED's , a camera status light and ambient light sensor. So why if you shine with a flash light , do I find 2 more holes left of those 5 ? (not the 2 microphones really on top of the lid)  .... NSA peek cams ?

pg 18 , ten finger touch display , what do they mean by that ?  How do you use 10 vingens on a display ? (yes maybe cleaning , haha)

In " Laptop reference guide pg 33, there are some gestures don't even work with 2 fingers , like the rotate clock and counterclockwise.

pg 19 Sensor :
accelerometer , what does it do in a computer ? How to use it ?

ALS ambient light sensor for panel backlight control > how does it work , where to enable or control it , what if someone (me) has a cap over it ?

All the pdf's Dell gives for your machine are not really a comprehensive user manual , is it ?

Why can't I put the battery level slider in My Dell >Power>settings>charging>custom below 50 %.

1 Rookie

• 

28 Posts

April 22nd, 2023 02:00

Ok , for those that saw the holes too , Dell techsupport came with a reasonable
explanation. Dell media support here on the forum/community was rather useless after more than 2 weeks .

These holes are for the Proximity sensors :
Wake-on-Approach (WOA) and Walk-Away-Lock (WAL) function.

This is not a function on the XPS , although we have the driver :
https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-al/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=1PM34

You need The Dell Peripheral Manager.
https://dl.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_electronics_accessories/esuprt_electronics_accessories_pc_tablet/dell-multi-device-wireless-mouse-ms5320w_Reference-Guide_en-us.pdf
Not sure if installing this on an XPS would enable this function.

I would have thought the camera or IR camera would do this , but apparently not.

At least it is better than extra spy camera's ...

1 Rookie

• 

28 Posts

March 30th, 2023 23:00

Ok , some pictures of the extra mystery holes.

It is very hard to photograph , especially alone , holding a flash light and camera, not dropping it on the computer !

DSCF4385p.jpgDSCF4380p.jpgDSCF4386 p.jpg

1 Rookie

• 

28 Posts

March 31st, 2023 00:00

xps.jpg

1 Rookie

• 

28 Posts

March 31st, 2023 01:00

Well no answers from the community here , so I contacted the chat , because Dell cares ... 

Wow , the support here in the community is not much help . I did not get much of an answer about how to use 10 fingers on the screen .

Not much on the accelerometer... is used for things like stopping the HD when it senses an acceleration like a fall. But ... there is no HD in a modern machine , nor is there place for one . So why ? The fans ? Doubt it. 

As for the ALS sensor , no help there , but this would have been the easiest one to answer and I found out myself by accident. Right click on Dell Premiercolor in systemtray > ambient light and select.
Why did I ask this ? Because I have something over the sensor , and I would like to know whether that has influence on premier color app. 

As for the mystery holes , they needed pictures and are working on it ...

No Events found!