Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

8 Posts

September 30th, 2022 18:00

G3 15 3500, SA OS Recovery failure

Dell G3 15 3500

Dell G3 15 3500

A few months ago my Dell G3 laptop began just "stopping." No BSOD. No error message. Just dead. So I contacted Dell tech support, who had me "update" my BIOS (to the same BIOS that was already installed). That seemed to work for a couple of weeks, then the G3 began stopping again. So again I contacted Dell tech support. They recommended a factory reset using their SupportAssist OS Recovery tool, which I did. The Dell SupportAssist OS Recovery tool asked if I wanted to backup my data before reformatting the hard drive, which I did, following their process. After a couple hours, my data was supposedly backed up, and the factory reset began, which also took about an hour. After the factory reset, the SupportAssist OS Recovery tool did not ask about restoring my data, as the Dell procedure claimed it would. So I contacted Dell tech support. The tech "took over" my G3 laptop and found my backed up data, but was unable to restore it. After a week of back-and-forth with Dell tech support, they "elevated" my case to a "level 3" whatever that is. To me, it was just double-talk to stall for time because another 2 weeks passed without my data being restored. At this point, Dell tech support was not even answering my emails or replying to my chats. So I contacted an agency and explained the situation. Long story short, after a few weeks of back-and-forth with Dell, Dell's answer was that is was my fault the data could not be restored and that they were not in any way responsible. The agency, which turns out to be powerless, closed my case as being unresolved. So here I am with a G3 laptop that I don't even know if Dell actually fixed the stopping problem, and all my data is gone. And for this I paid an extra $499 for premium tech support.

457 Posts

October 1st, 2022 03:00

I'm sorry to hear that (I don't work for Dell). Could you describe the backup process that you referenced ("The Dell SupportAssist OS Recovery tool asked if I wanted to backup my data before reformatting the hard drive, which I did, following their process.")?

8 Posts

October 1st, 2022 07:00

Please bear in mind I am going from memory for a process that (thanks to Dell) occurred over 5 weeks ago, so my memory may not be entirely picture-perfect. Nonetheless, when you initiate the Factory Reset option from the Dell SupportAssist Recovery tool, the menu asks if you want to back up your data (Recommended). I replied "yes," so the tool began looking for an external (USB) drive. It found my USB drive, then asked me to select which files/folders I wanted to back up, which I did by clicking on the folders (check boxes). After selecting all my files/folders, I initiated the backup (I don't remember whether I clicked "OK" or "Backup" or what), and progress bar appeared, showing the estimated time to back up and the progress of the backup. After about two hours (I cannot recall exactly how long), the message popped up that my backup was complete, and I clicked (I believe) "OK" to continue the factory reset process. The Dell SupportAssist OS Recovery tool then showed the progress of cleaning the disk, installing the OS, etc. until it was completed. Then the tool rebooted the computer and went through the Windows OS startup process, but the Dell SupportAssist OS Recovery tool never popped back up to ask if I wanted to recover my data, as Dell's email said it would. That is when I contacted Dell, and they could not figure out how to recover my backed up data. I can see the "SupportAssist" backup folders on my USB drive (and so could they). but no one has been able to figure out how to recover them. They appear to be in some kind of proprietary format, which is understandable, but one would think Dell could use their own format. 

457 Posts

October 1st, 2022 10:00

The last part is particularly what I am interested in. Do those folders contain things in them? Try seeing how much space they take up on the USB just to see if they are completely empty or at least hold some hope of containing something.

8 Posts

October 1st, 2022 13:00

The folder contains an archive.zip file and a BackupHistory.xml file. I cannot open the archive.zip file,. but Explorer reports it as 1KB. The BackupHistory.xml file is 13,502 KB.

457 Posts

October 1st, 2022 22:00

Yeah, if the all the folders are taking up only KBs then maybe SupportAssist never properly backed up said files. You could try extracting the zip file using file explorer or a tool like 7zip (open source). You could also try opening up the xml file in notepad and seeing if you can glean any useful information from it.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 2nd, 2022 08:00

@baunkst wrote:

Hence, my point. It took you a few minutes to determine that Dell's SupportAssist OS Recovery tool failed to properly back up my data. Why did Dell tech support jerk me around for weeks and then blame that failure on me? 

You would have to ask them about that.

In the future, I suggest you backup your files and data in a more conventional manner. You can use File-Explorer to copy them, or use something like Macrium-Reflect to Image all the drives to a File-Set.

To restore your machine, I suggest you clean-install Windows in a more proven and conventional manner also.

8 Posts

October 2nd, 2022 08:00

Hence, my point. It took you a few minutes to determine that Dell's SupportAssist OS Recovery tool failed to properly back up my data. Why did Dell tech support jerk me around for weeks and then blame that failure on me? 

457 Posts

October 2nd, 2022 09:00

Well part of the point is that if Dell is providing all of this to the customer as a solution, the customer should not have to do any 'conventional' methods. Technically, Dell's provided solution should be the convention and anything outside of that a workaround.

457 Posts

October 2nd, 2022 09:00

Please let me know if attempting to open the zip file with a program like 7-zip or opening the xml file in notepad yielded anything of use/interest (or if you would like to upload those files somewhere for investigation).

8 Posts

October 2nd, 2022 15:00

So you are suggesting that I should have ignored the solution recommended by Dell's tech support rep, support which I paid $XXX for, and use a "more conventional" method? Are you then agreeing that Dell's tech support is pretty much worthless? 

8 Posts

October 2nd, 2022 19:00

Thank you. That is what I think. If the "solution" recommended by the Dell Tech Support rep is not an adequate solution, then why are they providing it and recommending it? I mean I paid $XXX for their premium tech support, so I think I am entitled to something for my investment, other than using "conventional" methods. 

8 Posts

October 2nd, 2022 19:00

WinZip says the compressed zip file is empty. 

The xml file is just a complete directory listing of all the files that should have been backed up. 

457 Posts

October 4th, 2022 00:00

Sadly, unless Dell has some proprietary tools it seems like their backup process failed. I'm not with Dell so I'm not sure there is anything more I can suggest. Sorry

8 Posts

October 4th, 2022 08:00

I appreciate your kind assistance. 

457 Posts

October 5th, 2022 07:00

No worries, post here if any resolution comes about (sadly since you're the only person affected in this specific instance it's unlikely)

No Events found!