Start a Conversation

Unsolved

W

33 Posts

June 30th, 2019 05:00

The executable for installing BIOS 1.6.1 on Dell 9575 15 inch 2 in 1 does not work

Upon downloading the installer for updating the BIOS to 1.6.1 on my Dell 9575 15 inch 2 in 1, nothing happens.  It doesn't update the BIOS.  The same thing, by the way, happens when trying to launch the Intel Thunderbolt 3 firmware update (4.40.38.001 ,A02)...nothing.  Something appears buggy with Dell's update installers/packagers.  

23 Posts

July 10th, 2019 12:00

Same here, same with the Intel HD Graphics 630 Update Dell SupportAssist is wanting to install for months now.

Dell, get your act together!

33 Posts

August 29th, 2019 11:00

Turns out they changed their method for installing BIOS upgrades. You have to put the executable on a flash drive. Reboot the computer holding F12 (I think) and then use the menu options to update, point to the file on the flash drive and then it works. The old days where you could update the bios from a Windows desktop executable have changed.

33 Posts

August 29th, 2019 16:00

"Read the Instructions" Yes that is correct. The thing is, since purchasing my 9575, up until just recently installing updates was a matter of downloading the exe and running it or updating through the Dell Support Assistant or Dell Updater. Just recently there has been this change that involves a much more manual, entirely different process. When you are used to things working a certain way consistently, the sudden change has the appearance of a bug. And upon discovering the change the question is "why the change?" Dell's entire update process is schizophrenic. Different update applications (assistant and updater) that seem to have different drivers they want to have pushed to your computer. These applications have had problems of updating a driver and not recognizing the update so it eternally notifies you to update a driver that doesn't need it. Some drivers have had fixes I've reported in the past to the forum and technical support, only to have the problem officially addressed maybe a year later (I'm referring to the Realtek sound driver issues). And, now this divergence to a much more hands on update of say BIOS, rather than an automatic process. And there are some firmware updates that even following the instructions I cannot figure out how to implement. [hands in the air]

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

August 29th, 2019 16:00

Welcome to the Dell Community  @Wintersong 

Please read the "Installation Instructions" 

All driver and BIOS updates have them.

Updating the BIOS from Windows:

Note 1: Before updating the BIOS, ensure that you suspend BitLocker encryption on a BitLocker-enabled system.

If BitLocker is not enabled on your system, you can ignore this step.

Note 2: Do not turn off the power or interrupt the BIOS update process during the update.

Download and Installation:

1. Click Download File, to download the file.

2. Click Save to save the file to your hard drive.

3. Browse to the location where you downloaded the file and double-click the new file.The system restarts automatically and updates the BIOS at the system startup screen.

After the BIOS update is complete, system restarts again.

Best regards,

U2

No Events found!