Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 10th, 2019 00:00

XPS 13-7390, Ubuntu boot hangs

Hello,

I have a Dell's laptop (Model: DELL XPS 13 7390 2-in-1 laptop, Tag: , with Intel's 10-gen CPU i7-1065G7, IceLake) that originally shipped with Windows 10 and I would like to dual boot it with Ubuntu 18.04.3. However, the boot always hangs and the laptop starts to be really hot.

What I tried: 

I downloaded Ubuntu 18.04.3 (and also Ubuntu 19.04) from https://ubuntu.com/download/desktop

Using Rufus-3.8 I made a USB boot drive (File system:Large FAT, Partition scheme: MBR).

HW:

-----

- I read online that USB-2 are not supported by Dell so I tried both USB-2 and USB-3 drives.

- I ran the BIOS hardware check scan - Passed.

From within windows:

----------------------------

- Just to make sure, I updated Windows to have the latest updates.

- I downloaded Dell's update utility and ensure that I have the latest updates.

- I updated the BIOS with the latest firmware since Oct 3, 2019

- I ensured that Microsoft Bit Locker is suspended (although the disk is fully encrypted).

- I shrank the C drive to un-allocate 200Gb for the Ubuntu boot.

- I ensured that windows fast startup is disabled

From BIOS:

- I tried to use secure boot enabled/disabled modes.

- I tried switching the SATA configurations from RAID to ACHI

- I ensured that only UEFI boot is enabled

After booting from the USB, the UBUNTU grab is opened and I choose "try ubuntu". Then, I am getting an error related to the ACPI tables. I edited the grab with the following configurations but the boot always hangs:

- nosplash debug i915.nomodeset=0 max_cstate=1 acpi=off

- i915.nomodeset=0 max_cstate=1 acpi=off

- nomodeset=0 max_cstate=1 acpi=off

- nomodeset=0 

- max_cstate=1 acpi=off

- nomodeset=0 acpi=off

What can I do next?

Thanks.

1 Message

October 10th, 2019 11:00

I got it to boot by adding modprobe.blacklist:intel_lpss_pci 

But then before and after installation wifi and Bluetooth don't work, touchscreen doesn't work, brightness keys don't work, volume is low and trackpad is very limited.

If you remove the blacklisting, it goes back to hanging.

I tried updating to kernel 5.3 and that got the wifi and brightness keys to work, but broke Ethernet through adapter.

• 

109 Posts

October 10th, 2019 12:00

Hello,

Thanks for your message!

I see that the computer is shipped with Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. Our support for Ubuntu would be limited. I would suggest reinstalling the original OS on the system for further assistance. 

Also, I see that that the unit is registered to Israel. Please get in touch with our authorized service partners for assistance. Our direct support in this region is limited.

You could find their contact details here: https://dell.to/2pY2dmc

• 

109 Posts

October 10th, 2019 13:00

I checked the case logs and I understand you're in Germany. As per the basic warranty entitlements, you'd only be able to claim warranty repairs in the region of purchase. Please get in touch with our paid support team on 069 9792 7200
Monday - Friday: 08:00 - 18:00.

DELL-SimranC

3 Posts

October 15th, 2019 01:00

Thanks Anmael,

Indeed, adding modprobe.blacklist:intel_lpss_pci solved the boot issue and indeed I still had problems with the WIFI/dual display/connecting Microsoft wireless keyboard. I've just updated to Kernel 5.3 which solved the latest Issues, I'm OK with running only through Wifi...

Do you happen to know when I will be able to re-enable the SATA-RAID and the secure-boot options?

Thanks,

3 Posts

October 15th, 2019 01:00

Hello,

Dell's authorized service partners referred me to this forum (because my laptop shipped with Windows and not with Ubuntu).

Note that (as I mentioned) I would like to run a dual boot of Ubuntu and Windows (which currently I can't because of the SATA definition in the BIOS). I did expect that Ubuntu will run smoothly on Dell's products, I guess I was wrong, but in any case, I'm o.k. with the hacks suggested previously in this thread (thanks Anmael).

Please update me if Dell will propose a permanent fix to my situation in the future.

Thanks.

December 25th, 2019 09:00

Ur laptop might not be fully supported  / possble known bugs per Ubuntu https://is.gd/f2fstX. 

Its confusing but there are a number of different "XPS 13 7390"'s w different chipsets  and probly other differences

I have an official Developer Edition that shipped w what appears to be a customized Ubuntu 18.04 LTS  and custom recovery.

... and the Bluetooth didnt work out of the box / I still try to stay away from depending on the BT it still seems really buggy, which sux w the limited ports for usb i.e. mouse / external keyboard

No Events found!