Start a Conversation

Unsolved

DW

21 Posts

April 6th, 2020 16:00

XPS 13 9300 not waking for scheduled tasks

My new XPS 13 9300 (2020) (i7, Windows 10 Pro) is not waking up for “wake the computer from sleep” scheduled tasks that should awaken it overnight. One is a scheduled task I added, the other is a Veeam Agent for Windows scheduled backup job. Both works fine on other Windows machines, including the XPS 13 9350 (2015) the new machine replaces. Both start running when I wake the machine in the morning. Machine is set to never hibernate when on AC power. It has been on AC power every night. Both were first setup and failed within 12 hours after I OOBE’d the machine. I hadn’t even been into BIOS Setup yet. Veeam Agent was installed from a fresh download, latest version. All other sleep/hibernate/wake-up behavior is operating as expected.

I have put on all available Windows Updates and Support Assist updates. Dell Support recommended updating the BIOS; at that point, the machine already had the newest version installed—1.0.7 which just came available for web download this morning. I also installed Intel-Chipset-Device-Software_5MPRF_WIN_10.1.18121.8164_A09 by hand because I couldn’t tell if Windows Update or Support Assist had put on an equivalent update. Neither made any difference. Dell Support also recommended (as administrator) powercfg -h off then reboot then (as administrator) powercfg -on. Made no difference.

This morning, Dell Support recommended disabling CPU C-State control in BIOS as well as disabling fast startup. These shouldn’t be necessary and are little better than just turning off sleep all together. I set them anyway. We’ll see what happens overnight.

Investigating all this I note that the number of settings in Advanced Power Options is much shorter than on the 9350 and doesn’t include, for instance, Hybrid Sleep. I also note that the Veeam Agent backup configure does not offer "Sleep" option for “After backup is taken, computer should…”. Veeam presents this option on my other machines including the 9350.

Anybody else tried overnight scheduled tasks on the 9300? Anybody else seeing any power management issues on the 9300?

117 Posts

April 6th, 2020 17:00

I think Scheduled Tasks do not work properly on Modern Standby/ Connected Standby laptops. See here: https://www.tenforums.com/performance-maintenance/132472-scheduled-wake-drips-modern-standby.html

Have you tried disabling S0 sleep (i.e. Modern Standby/ Connected Standby) and re-enabling S3 sleep instead? See here: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Useful-Life-Hack-How-to-Disable-Modern-Standby-Connected-Standby.453125.0.html

8 Posts

April 10th, 2020 05:00

Same issue here. Incompatibility between wake tasks and Modern Standby I think. Not got my head around it, as I thought one of the points of Modern Standby was that it stayed connected whilst turning off all other components, so surely should spring into life when asked to?

At the moment it seems to be a backward step on the experience front, both from this functionality perspective and from all the issue of heating up in bags while asleep.

I am also struggling to find any way to wake it up from a WOL Magic Packet over WiFi - has anyone managed this on an XPS?

21 Posts

April 11th, 2020 14:00

This modern standby thing may well be related. I'm not, yet, interested in registry hacking. This should just work out of the carton. Power management has been a "feature" of Windows and PCs since 1995. And they still struggle mightily to make it work right. Mind boggling.

I did get an update form Dell Support to the effect that this is a "known feature" that is planned for "improvement" in a May BIOS update. We'll see.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

April 11th, 2020 15:00

Did you enable Wake Timers in Power Options?

Fyi, Hybrid Sleep was only really intended for desktop PCs anyway.  It doesn't really make sense for laptops that have a battery backup.  When it's enabled, putting your computer to sleep causes it to suspends to disk like regular hibernation (S4) before entering normal sleep (S3).  The advantage for a desktop PC is that if everything goes normally, it just wakes back up from normal sleep, which is fast -- but if the desktop loses power at some point while it's asleep, then the fact that it suspended to disk means it can resume from hibernation, which takes longer but obviously retains your state.  The downside for a laptop is that suspending to disk before going to sleep takes more time and consumes more battery life than just going straight to sleep, and since laptops have batteries, the value proposition of suspending to disk as a "backup" for your regular sleep is much lower.

No Events found!