Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 4th, 2021 07:00

XPS 13 9310 WiFi randomly shuts down (AX500-DBS)

Hello everyone,

I've had my XPS 13 9310 for a month now and since about two weeks my WiFi stops working in random moments. Sometimes it's after waking up from sleep, sometimes it's just randomly during use. The laptop has a Killer Wi-Fi 6 AX500-DBS card and it looks like the driver just stops working. The card starts working again when I shut down the system completely and turn it on again.

When the WiFi card is down, the Windows Device Manager shows "This device cannot start. (Code 10) (Operation Failed) The requested operation was unsuccessful.". The Event Viewer shows multiple errors around the time the WiFi goes down, e.g.

• The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table.
  • The version number is incorrect for this driver.
  • Miniport Killer Wi-Fi 6 AX500-DBS Wireless Network Adapter, {86c1bbda-57fc-4364-ad13-5fc9493cc130}, had event Fatal error: The miniport has detected an internal error

This issue occurred for me on:

• Windows 10 Pro builds 2004 and 20H2
  • Killer Wi-Fi 6 AX500-DBS driver version 1.0.0.1428 (from 2020-09-03, latest as of 2021-01-04)
  • BIOS version 1.1.4
  • All other drivers on latest versions.

I've been in contact with Dell support about this particular issue for 2 weeks now, but they haven't found a fix yet. What has been done so far:

Does anyone else have the problem (and hopefully a solution)?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

June 16th, 2021 06:00

This is what I received today from the XPS IPS team.

XPS 13 9310/XPS 15 9500/XPS 17 9700 may show yellow bang on Killer AX500 wireless module in Device Manager. If not a bang in Device Manager, you might see wireless intermittently disconnect issue.

This is seen after putting the PC in an idle or sleep state for several hours. These issues happen when the PC has the Killer driver 1.0.0.1428 installed.

XPS 15 9500/XPS 17 9700 users should uninstall Killer driver 1.0.0.1428 and install 1.0.0.1274. Restart the PC when done.

XPS 13 9310 users should uninstall Killer driver 1.0.0.1428 and install 1.0.0.1606. Restart the PC when done.

Still not resolved? Use the "Get Help Now" option at the bottom right to chat with a Dell technician right away.

DellRamanS_0-1647628697857.png

35 Posts

December 24th, 2021 05:00

I have hade no problems with WIFI and I am confident that Dell has fixed the problem for my XPS13. I have done all the Updates.

4 Posts

January 4th, 2021 16:00

@evolevol 

I had same issue, ran Dell update earlier today, it failed for whatever reason, post restart, got same wrong driver number error.  Called support and Nandini helped me out and now its fine.  The steps we took, which in end were to reset BIOS defaults were:

- Reboot, hit F12 while Dell logo, to get to EPS Safe Screen for Hardware scan.  This was to check for device/hardware issues.
- Ran diagnostics, all my tests past, click exit.
- Do a full restart, meaning go back to Windows.  Once logged into windows, restart again.
- On Dell logo, now hit F2 to go to BIOS setup (NOT F12 as done earlier).  
- She noted wrong location, but for my new XPS13, the 'load defaults' was on bottom, slightly to the left, click it.
- Click BIOS defaults (NOT factory defaults), click ok.
- Say ya we good, hit ok again. 
- Then one more OK for good measure to exit/restart.

And viola.  Now my newly reset BIOS worked fine, as my network adaptor shows up, its finding networks, I re-added my network password and now online fine.

She indicated drivers were ok, rather it was BIOS settings causing the issue (and she knew answer immediately and was laughing as I told her, she acknowledged they most definitely knew about this, so I must not be first to call).

Anyway, hope it works out. To be clear I am posting this from my XPS 13 now after fixing it.

6 Posts

January 5th, 2021 04:00

Thanks for the update, @pettyr!

I just loaded the BIOS defaults (there was no option for factory defaults for me). After the reboot the WiFi started working again, but previously it was pretty random when it worked and when not.

I'll watch it for a few days and if it keeps working, I'll be very happy.

• 

16.7K Posts

January 8th, 2021 04:00

evolevol,

I see in the case notes that you were offered an exchange through emails.

6 Posts

January 8th, 2021 04:00

I didn't use the laptop for a few days and today I noticed that the WiFi was down again with same symptoms.

This means restoring to BIOS defaults didn't work.

6 Posts

January 10th, 2021 01:00

Yes, ultimately the support offered me to replace the laptop or return the money.

I opted for the money, because I think having many different issues for over a month, even on a replaced motherboard, was a bit too much for me.

Until I get information on how the return will work, I still have the laptop and can test some suggestions.

5 Posts

January 13th, 2021 13:00

I've had the wifi disappear a couple of times in last few days.  Killer on 9310.

Dell support told me today to update to the latest BIOS.  I had 1.1.4.  Now 1.2.5.

I'm good about updating drivers and BIOS frequently myself.  But this one did not show up in updates.   I had to search for it individually.

Not sure if it solves the issue yet.

GL

35 Posts

January 17th, 2021 09:00

I had the same problem with my new XPS 13 9310, network randomly not available Code 10 error with the Killer adapter. Emberassing for a new and expensive device, isn't it, Dell?

Thanks @pettyr for your solution. I did reset to Bios default, it worked, network is back.

Before that, I had the Bios updated to 1.2.5, which did not help.

Maybe now the problem is fixed, maybe it is not. Really not a good thing to have a non-reliable device, Dell.

1 Message

January 28th, 2021 04:00

Exactly the same issue

each time, I need to restart, press F2, apply changes, then restart again, then Wifi works again...for one day !!

just amazing

Dell please find a quick solution and come back to me asap, otherwise...

1 Message

February 1st, 2021 15:00

I'm having this problem too. Wifi adapter stops working with the following error in the device manager:

This device cannot start. (Code 10)

{Operation Failed}
The requested operation was unsuccessful.

Restarts do not work. Reinstalling drivers does not work. A complete shutdown, waiting a few seconds, then restarting gets the wifi working again. Initially, even a shutdown didn't work but I did the reset to BIOS defaults someone mentioned above which got it working again. 

It seems to stop working if the laptop hibernates or goes to sleep sometimes.

I have the Killer driver version 1.0.0.1428 and the latest BIOS 1.2.5 installed.

Incidentally but unrelated to this issue, I also had this random blacking of the screen mentioned here that installing the Intel-direct drivers fixed: Solved: Random Black Screen issue on XPS 13 9310 - Dell Community

20 Posts

February 3rd, 2021 22:00

Today I had a dell tech come replace my system board, as my laptop was presenting many Blue screens to freeze ups and Red blue green white screen on boot up, Wifi was an issue too and I would keep uninstalling via device manager and it will work later which was annoying, but speak of the weasel my wifi card stopped working again with this new system board and I had to use windows 10 trouble shoot feature and shut down the computer and turn it back on, now it is working and showing networks, I had to reenter my password though. I hope its doesn't continue as I already got the system board replaced today! 

1 Message

February 8th, 2021 16:00

Same problem here on a 3 day old computer.  I’m waiting for a solution or I will return the computer.

35 Posts

February 18th, 2021 06:00

I love Dell laptops. Exquisit devices. Great technical support.

And here is my painful experience:

New XPS 13 9310, networks not found, Dell Support found no remedy and advised me to return the device, which I did.

I bought another, new XPS 13 9310, which showed the same problem (No Network, Code 10)
Dell Support send a technician who changed the mainboard (great service!).

One week later, the same problem. That makes three brandnew Dell devices, each of them with the same defect.

Do I just have really bad luck beyound laws of probability, or is this a serious Killer Wifi issue, which Dell does not address, thus selling deficient laptops?

122 Posts

February 22nd, 2021 10:00

I have a XPS13 9310 and have had all the wifi problems listed above 

Dell has replaced the laptop and since then I have had 2 motherboard replacements but the problems still persist

I have done a lot of very deep digging to try and sort this and may have come up with an answer - I changed the channel number on my BT smart router from channel 1 to channel 11 (This was chosen automatically from the router software) I have had no wifi fails and when doing a wlan report (netsh wlan show wlanreport) most of my problems have vanished . Complete working without any errors could probably be achieved by installing a 802.111ax router which would work better with the AX500  board than my 802.11ac unit 

No Events found!