Unsolved

August 10th, 2023 23:27

February 22nd, 2018 11:00

Same here! :(

Same week.

Same issue exactly.

I hope they will be addressing it. I don't want to dump my XPS 9350 i7

February 22nd, 2018 21:00

Don't worry, XPS system are excellent and worth the amount.
You did great by doing a little bit of troubleshooting.
Can you tell me, if there is any discreet graphics card in your system(Nv**is, Radeon)?
Did you download the latest graphics, Chipset drivers from Dell Support site?
When was the system working fine?

February 25th, 2018 00:00

Please update

16 Posts

February 25th, 2018 09:00

Yes all up to date. 

I'm thinking that Dell Support Assist updated the dbc driver inside the screen and ruined it. It has been since 8thFeb 2018 since this problem started. 

I am writing this msg from the problematic Dell XPS 9350 while hooked up through an external monitor.

:/

Help guys!! 

2 Posts

February 26th, 2018 08:00

Hi, I have replied to you several times over several days but my responses keep getting deleted. Not quite sure what is going on. I've had to make a new account and post from a different computer as my posts do not work.

The graphics card is "Intel (R) Iris(R) Graphics 540". I downloaded the updates direct from the dell support website. (1) BIOS (2) Chipset (3) Graphics driver.

The laptop was working fine on the morning of the 17th of Feb. I turned it back on in the afternoon and that's when i got back screen.

Thanks, Tom

16 Posts

February 26th, 2018 09:00

Turns out I couldn't post because I had listed the file names of what I downloaded from the dell website in my previous post and the forum obviously didn't like that. Isn't my face red.

I'm wondering if its worth trying a factory reset? When I can get my hands on an external hard drive to back up my important files I'll give that a shot.

2 Posts

February 26th, 2018 13:00

Hi Guys,

Shortly after the Dell Bios 1.6 update, 10th of Feb, my screen went black upon start up. Works fine on an external monitor and the touch screen function still works. The Dell logo does not appear. Holding the d button at switch on causes the display to cycle through colours, so I now believe the display works. I completely wiped my hard drive and reinstalled everything. Display worked until I reloaded the latest drivers in. Then reverted back to black screen.

I therefore believe Dell have caused the issue and need to sort it out by fixing the offending update. Other with this problem, please share the date when things went wrong. Maybe we can narrow down the problem.

1 Message

February 26th, 2018 14:00

I only have a Latitude E6530 - and I have also developed this black screen problem. I too am needing to use an external monitor to work

I didn't download any Dell stuff. My problem also started about a week ago (18 Feb give or take a couple of days)

I did download Microsoft 10, but that was about 3 weeks ago

Any thoughts, advice? Ber in mind I am not a tech-head so won't understand tech jargon

Jason

February 27th, 2018 03:00

Hi - I've got the exact same issue since performing an update to BIOS to the older 1.6.1 around the same date you mention (early February) and Intel Iris 540 graphics adapter. I can't be sure as I tend to leave my 9350 in sleep mode all the time, so reboots are infrequent.

I waited for the 'new' BIOS 1.6.1 as suggested by the Dell support website, but the problem persists.

I have rolled back to different BIOS (from the new 1.6.1 to the older 1.5.1) using BIOS recovery, and downgraded the Iris driver to no avail.  Incidentally the BIOS downgrade seemed to fail on some parts, making me suspicious of a chipset issue as part of that rollback.

Dell want me to pay them money for out of warranty support, which I'm not too pleased about (it it their updates that have rendered my system unusable!)

If anyone gets any joy, any updates on this forum would be wonderful.

Thanks

2 Posts

February 27th, 2018 09:00

I think we should leave posts on Dell's Facebook page. Highlighting it's their update that might have caused the issue with the laptops. 

I started a post here. I'd highlight the symptom and date the issue started. 

https://www.facebook.com/DellUK/posts/10155970941378956

They don't like the bad publicity, so maybe that'll move the situation forward.

April 10th, 2018 03:00

Have left message on Facebook page. I'm in Australia. Exactly the same issue. Cannot believe after spending over $3000.00 on a laptop that after not even two years its effectively dead. I'm in safe mode now decrypting the drive after which I will try a factory restore. If this doesn't fix it I will contact them but WILL NOT be paying any money to Dell to fix this as they themselves broke the system in the first place. Thankfully in Australia we have consumer protection against this kind of poor product delivery. For crying out loud was the BIOS update and Display driver update not tested before release!?

25 Posts

April 13th, 2018 12:00

Any news?

April 17th, 2018 01:00

I reinstalled Windows with the Dell USB Recovery Key (Windows 10 Pro). The system worked for a while and I installed all the drivers with the exception of the Intel Graphics Driver. All of a sudden, not ten minutes ago. I heard a sound as if a driver had been installed and the display went completely black again. I cannot get any display out of it at all now. Possibly Windows 10 installed the Intel graphics driver OR this issue may have a physical/hardware element to it. I am speaking to Dell at 7PM tonight about this issue.

25 Posts

April 17th, 2018 08:00

I've tried with Ubuntu and it is ok!
So it is a driver issue.
I would try with windows 7.

16 Posts

April 17th, 2018 10:00

win 7 worked? as far as I know it is not straight forward on 6th gen cpus.

No Events found!