Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 5th, 2021 04:00

XPS 13 9365 BIOS 2.17 update fails

I tried every method I could think of: ran the manually downloaded executable from within Windows 11 beta, ran the executable from within a fresh install of Windows 10, through Windows Update, and running the update from within BIOS itself off of a USB device. SupportAssist scan doesn't prompt to update the BIOS, so couldn't try that.

Everything starts as expected, I get a prompt to allow suspension of Bitlocker, and the laptop restarts. For a split second under the Dell circle logo I see a message "Please wait while we're updating the system BIOS" (or something similar) and then the laptop restarts again and boots straight into the OS. Very frustrating. I can't find any information from Dell (not surprising).  Any thoughts?

18 Posts

September 9th, 2021 08:00

@Saltgrass

I solved the problem by running BIOS recovery (and in the process I also figured out what the flashing lights mean, check out this doc: https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000141206/a-reference-guide-to-the-xps-notebook-diagnostic-indicators#2014_Present). The recovery process is somewhat finicky, but works well.

• Download the 2.17 BIOS file. You can try downloading the .rcv file instead, but it wasn't necessary, so I didn't try that.
  • Rename the file BIOS_IMG.rcv (make sure that file extension isn't hidden, otherwise you'll end up with BIOS_IMG.rcv.exe)
  • Format a USB flash drive with FAT32. I had only a 256GB one, so I created a 8GB partition with diskpart. Copy BIOS_IMG.rcv onto the drive.
  • Turn off the laptop. Remove the power cord. Insert the flash drive into a USB-C port.
  • Press and hold Ctrl-Esc and insert the power cord back.
  • The laptop should power up by itself (no need to press the power button). Keep holding Ctrl-Esc until you see the BIOS recovery screen. Release Ctrl-Esc and follow the prompts on the screen

This process has successfully updated BIOS to 2.17. Let me know if this works for you.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

September 5th, 2021 05:00

I have not done that update yet but I do see it available.  So, did you see a version of it in Windows update?

Running the Bios update in an OS for which the computer is not qualified, may not be good.

You are running BitLocker and you gave it time to unwind prior to starting the update?

These Bios updates have been a problem for a while.  It seems starting with 2.14 or 2.15 there were problems getting them installed.  I don't know why but in at least one instance, I could not get the update to install using the download but the Win 10 version did complete.

Right now my system is not showing the version available in Windows Update but I will let it run for a while today to see if it picks it up.

18 Posts

The update is specific to 9365, so no concerns with it. It did come up in Windows Update as well. The prep runs normally, the laptop restarts but then fails to launch the update process, reboots again and goes straight into the OS. Dell BIOS update.png

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

OK, that is interesting.  But if you run it from the Bios, the OS is not involved.  As far as I know, you are allowed to install a Bios update over the same version but I have not actually done that.

I won't be trying to install it for another couple of hours.  I only have one system running Win 11 so I won't be able to test that.

18 Posts

Because the update prep ran normally in Windows, the OS thinks it succeeded. Here's the screenshot. Dell BIOS update in WUS.png

18 Posts

September 5th, 2021 06:00

The same behavior from within BIOS - it finds the file on a USB device, restarts, flashes the message, restarts again and proceeds booting into the OS.

If I remember correctly, that "wait while we're..." message appears before the actual BIOS update process kicks in. If there's a log of this somewhere it would probably give the reason why the process doesn't start. I'll poke around BIOS looking for the logs.

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

Welcome to the Dell Community @V-F-K 

Have you tried this method?

Create a bootable USB drive using “Rufus”

https://rufus.ie/

Under “Boot Selection” chose “Free DOS”

Copy the BIOS update to the bootable USB drive you just created..

Insert USB drive, power-on and start tapping the “ F12 “ key.

Boot from USB and run the BIOS update.

After reboot test and post any results.

Best regards,

U2

18 Posts

Yes, I tried updating from within BIOS itself. Fails at the same point - flashes a "wait..." message for a split second, and reboots again into the OS.

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

@V-F-K 

When you hit f12 do you "Boot" from the USB drive?

Or do you run "Bios Flash Update" ?

Regards,

U2

18 Posts

September 5th, 2021 07:00

I tried both. The failure is at the same point, after the reboot when the BIOS update process fails to start.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

September 5th, 2021 07:00

My first try from 2.16.2 to 2.17, using the downloaded file, did the same thing yours does..  Maybe we should wait a couple of days and see if something changes.

Ran the .exe and got the messages about changing from one to the other, then the progress bar going across.  It then rebooted and came back to the sign in page.

I am going to check the download site again to see if using my Service Tag shows any difference and check other updates.

5 Practitioner

• 

2.4K Posts

September 5th, 2021 09:00

If your machine is out of warranty and Flash update was attempted. Please stop there and do not force the BIOS update, it can Brick the motherboard and make situation far worse. 

First Block windows from downloading this BIOS update, Windows updates shouldn't do BIOS updates, but Microsoft wouldn't listen. 

Pause windows updates from the same menu. 

Run Windows show Hide troubleshooter from below link.

https://m.majorgeeks.com/mg/getmirror/microsoft_show_or_hide_updates_troubleshooter,1.html

Now choose Hide and hide that firmware update from downloading again. 

If case you wanna risk and install this BIOS update anyways. 

Perform a BIOS Recovery  Use the second USB method in below link, use the latest BIOS file from support site, so while recovery BIOS you are also updating it. 

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-uk/000132453/how-to-recover-the-bios-on-a-dell-computer-or-tablet

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

September 5th, 2021 12:00

You did see my post where I indicated my attempt to update did exactly the same as yours..  The update is bad for some reason.

18 Posts

September 5th, 2021 14:00

The BIOS recovery mode you pointed to doesn't work, as I already said and others posted on multiple forums. The Ctrl-Esc during the startup causes the laptop to flash three white and three yellow lights several times, after which the laptop shuts off.

If a BIOS update that is marked "Urgent" bricks the laptop, it's time to change the laptop vendor. (kidding, but only a little bit)

18 Posts

September 5th, 2021 14:00

@Saltgrass, thanks for trying the upgrade and sorry that you're having the same problem.

I tried BIOS recovery, but Ctrl-Esc during the startup doesn't get me into the BIOS recovery mode. Instead, the laptop flashes three white and three yellow lights several times and shuts off. Other folks complained about the same behavior with no obvious solution. Dell, as usual, is MIA. All they are good at is to tell you that the warranty has expired, and, hopefully, someone in the community may know the answer. My next laptop will be a Lenovo.

No Events found!