This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 5th, 2018 20:00

XPS 13-9370, Keyboard skips button presses

remove

May 10th, 2018 04:00

What I got from prosupport today:

"Regarding Service Request: xxx concerning Service Tag: xxx. 

Our engineering team already aware on this issue, the issue can be solved by next release BIOS version that will happen end of May. Has I mentioned to you earlier , if you request for refund or exchange with other system for now. Please look for the retailer shop for further assist. Please do let me know , if you want to proceed with refund , I will proceed to closed the case for now .

Regards, xxxx"

7 Posts

May 11th, 2018 03:00

Now it's the end of May when we may see a fix? *sigh*

Considering I have until May 21st or so to return the laptop, I'm honestly very close to doing so. I actually went through Dell Financial Services for this machine, but obviously don't feel super confident right now in Dell if this is how they treat a major issue like this (yes, I'm having the same problems). Since we really don't know when this update is coming (or even if the BIOS update will fix these issues), I don't think I can justify waiting unless I was able to guarantee that I could return the machine past the 30-day window.

7 Posts

May 11th, 2018 03:00

@Devhux

While I'm very disappointed with the way they're handling this specific issue, I have nothing but good things to say about their return policies and support. I'd be surprised if they didn't let you return it after the 30 days with this issue, but of course I can't promise you that. If you'd like to keep the laptop and wait for a fix, I suggest you contact their support department now and get some kind of confirmation that they'll let you return it after the 30 day window if the issue doesn't get fixed.

3 Posts

May 14th, 2018 02:00

@DELL-Justin C Any update on this? It's been a few weeks since you said "XPS 13 9370 BIOS version 1.3.1 has been packaged and is now waiting in line to be web posted". I've been checking the Dell website every day for the last two weeks for this. Is Dell not aware of how desperate we are to get this fix? Do you realise how many times I've had to retype words just to type this one message due to this issue?

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

May 14th, 2018 09:00

@jroper2,

There was a change of plans for the new BIOS. Dell decided to wait and add in a couple other changes to the BIOS before they release it.

I'm waiting for engineering to give me a new ETA. 

May 14th, 2018 18:00

Thanks for the update @DELL-Justin C
Really hope this also fixes the skipping touches on the touch pad. It happens about the same frequency as the missing key presses.

Interestingly touchpad clicks work every time though.

May 14th, 2018 23:00

I don't really approve this, I'm sorry.

While I'm sure there are some other fix to add (always improve :) ) the keyboard issue is really awful and I would address it ASAP, releasing a bios 1.3.2 later on with the other fixes. But I don't work at Dell, so my word value is equal to 0.

As for the touchpad skip touches, it doesn't happen to me, my touchpad work at 100%. I wish the problem were inverted, I would gladly trade the keyboard skip with the touchpad skip :BigSmile:

10 Posts

May 15th, 2018 14:00

Thanks @DELL-Justin C, for sharing. Typing passwords has been awfull.
And KVM didn't work without issues either.

Can you confirm this update is supported by fwupd on Linux?
Or would I need to get a Windows install somewhere? Thanks in advance, again.

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

May 15th, 2018 14:00

@Community,

The additional changes to the new 9370 BIOS have been completed and it's supposed to be posted within the next week.

4 Operator

• 

783 Posts

May 15th, 2018 15:00

@Takkie,

I can't promise it will solve any keyboard issues for "fwupd on Linux". 

And no, you do not need Windows in order to install a BIOS update. Simply:

1. Place the BIOS exe on a thumb drive and plug the thumb drive into the system

2. Insure power adapter is plugged in and battery is above 10% charged

3. Shut down the system

4. Power the system back on and when you see the Dell screen, start tapping F12 in order to get to the 'one time boot menu'

5. Once in the Menu select the BIOS update option

6. Use file browser to select the BIOS file and proceed to update

May 15th, 2018 19:00

Thank god. Hopefully this update tweaks the fan curve as well, because it currently takes about 1 minute of the CPU at 99-100C before the fan kicks in on "optimized" or "ultra performance".

11 Posts

May 16th, 2018 05:00

BIOS 1.3.2 is now available for download. I haven't tested it yet myself.

Fixes:

• Battery can't charge over 55%
  • Incorrect Ctrl+Alt+Del log on message with HID Event filter driver
  • Platform can't boot to the PXE boot environment in Legacy mode via DA300
  • Correct the flash utility string typo
  • PCIE Card error shows in Support Assist Tool
  • Fail 'PCR1 changed' msg prompt in CMD during running TPM PCR cycles in OS
  • The PCI-to-PCI Bridge will lost while connecting to Dell Thunderbolt Dock TB18
  • Adjust fan speed
  • Skips keys when typing fast

Enhancements:

• None

7 Posts

May 16th, 2018 06:00

@saigai

Nicely spotted. I see it as well, wonder if they published it by accident early. I'll try it as soon as possible.

May 16th, 2018 07:00

If someone tests this, could they kindly check if the key double-pressing issue is resolved too? (mentioned a few posts ago on this thread)
I'd try myself but I'm on the road for a while.

11 Posts

May 16th, 2018 08:00

I've just installed the BIOS version 1.3.2, and can confirm that both issues appear to be fixed.

• keyboard skips button presses
  • keyboard doesn't detect simultaneous keypresses reliably

Before installing the update, I made sure to reproduce both issues, so I can be sure I'm testing them properly.

No Events found!