Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 28th, 2018 06:00

XPS 13 9370 Killer WiFi issues

New XPS 13 9370 with the same issues reported widely with previous versions of the XPS 13 with Killer WiFi card namely very slow internet speeds at times and regular cut-outs.

I've done all the recommended actions such as removing & reinstalling the latest KIller WiFi suite/drivers, ensuring Windows is up to date and updating to latest BIOS but the issues still persist.

No other wireless devices connected to my router (BT Hub 5) have any problems & I have a wired speed of up to 75Mbps, wireless speeds on other devices are generally between 50 - 70 Mbps. The XPS when it chooses to work correctly will achieve similar speeds but often, as per the last two days, struggles to get above 5 - 15 Mbps and cuts out completely at times too.

Killer's site provides little help, blaming problems on your router! The only real ie successful solution I've read about is replacing the Killer card with an Intel one so why on earth to Dell persist in using the Killer Wifi card which is clearly not fit for purpose?

I'm currently awaiting a replacement unit from Dell who hope this will fix the WiFi issue, I rather doubt it but hope to be proven wrong.

Apart from the WiFi issue i really like my XPS13 but ultimately may have to return it for a refund; after all what's the point of a flagship ultra-portable laptop that cannot connect reliably to the internet?

Dell should be offering customers with the faulty Killer Wifi cards the option of sending the unit in to have an Intel card fitted instead.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

February 21st, 2019 05:00

@Omnibussi wrote:
My 9370-13 with Killer wifi card 1435 still has poor performance on speed and frequent disconnects with the router especially after resuming from sleep/hibernation. If it's rebooted the wifi connection with the router is relatively stable though. I hope they fix this soon as the product has been in the market for quite some time. BIOS: 1.6.3 Win 10 1809 update Killer driver only ver. 12.0.0.820 No Killer software

@OmnibussiWhere are you getting the driver version you are showing.  Your link earlier does not seem to work and the versions I see from both Dell and Killer wireless don't seem to be a version number even close.

I show Dell with a 1.5.1871 and Killer Wireless with a 2.0.1159 (Win 10 1803+).

Also I found the following page, if it is not already mentioned in the thread.  It is a Killer Networking site and seems to be safe, but be careful anyway..  Of course, for Modern Standby systems there is not usually a Power Management tab.

http://support.killernetworking.com/knowledge-base/wi-fi-drops-and-disconnects/

9 Posts

February 21st, 2019 11:00

@DELL-Jesse L

Thanks for the heads up regarding the power management. However, with this Dell 9370 laptop running on Win 10 such option is deactivated by default. There’s a workaround to enable that option through the addition of one regedit parameter, which is very easy btw. I will post the procedure below should other readers would like to know. After that we can change the Power Saving Mode of the wireless adapter. My default value On Battery was indeed Medium Power Saving and then I changed it to Maximum Performance. OTOH, the default value for Plugged in has been initially on Maximum Performance. A quick test on speedtest.net marked an improvement (for laptop on batt power) although long term result will still need to be confirmed.

STEPS TO ENABLE WIRELESS ADAPTER POWER MANAGEMENT:

1) Download the registry file. Skip to “OPTION TWO” from https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/73119-add-remove-wireless-adapter-settings-power-options-windows-10-a.html

(Forget “OPTION ONE”, I tried and it didn’t work.)

2) Run the downloaded file.

3) Now the option to change power setting is already available. To modify it follow the steps from this link: http://support.killernetworking.com/knowledge-base/wi-fi-power-settings/

Stop until Step 9 because Step 10 about Power Management on Device Manager I couldn’t find that option on my laptop.

I remember someone else posted about this registry modification before, sorry for my late catch up.

9 Posts

@Saltgrass They change the URL. The new link is http://support.killernetworking.com/software/ . Scroll down to "Driver Only Packages" and find the driver for 64-bit. The one that you have is the full suite containing Killer Network Software. The one that I use doesn’t have the Killer software, only the driver. Btw, I posted how to change power management in modern system. Thanks to you I got the info from your link. Note: All of my procedure Disclaimer on, do it at your own risk.

247 Posts

I spent lot's of time trying to fix my Killer 1535 card even spending weeks emailing Killer Networking support. I finally gave up and installed a Intel 9260 and threw that Killer card away it was the most troublesome wireless card I have ever dealt with. You can try the Killer driver only download from their web site without the software bundle to see if it helps. But honestly I tried everything and kept getting a internal wireless card failure couple times a week. I haven't had a single issue since installing the 9260 Intel card and my speeds are also better. 

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

February 21st, 2019 14:00

@Omnibussi wrote:
@SaltgrassThey change the URL. The new link is http://support.killernetworking.com/software/ . Scroll down to "Driver Only Packages" and find the driver for 64-bit. The one that you have is the full suite containing Killer Network Software. The one that I use doesn’t have the Killer software, only the driver. Btw, I posted how to change power management in modern system. Thanks to you I got the info from your link. Note: All of my procedure Disclaimer on, do it at your own risk.

This link does work, but the original question is still unresolved.  You folks are referring to a driver version (12.0.0.820) that does not relate to either the Dell or Killer Wireless versions.  Am I misreading something in the thread? Maybe I will remove the Killer Wireless 1550 and put the 1535 back for testing, but it never gave me any trouble before.

There must be some log on the system which could indicate what might be happening when a wireless connection is broken.   A WLAN report gives a lot of info, but someone has to interpret and understand the report.

I do have a Modern Standby system (7th gen processor) but it came with an Intel 8265 and has been rock solid.  I am not one who would want to alter the configuration of a modern standby system.  At one time the registry hack did work, but recent updates seem to cause the hack to cause problems more than fix problems.  If the 1435 or 1535 needed to use a always on power situation, would that not apply to every system using those cards or could it just be the 9370 systems?

9 Posts

February 21st, 2019 15:00

That information about driver version isn't available in the new download site, but it was outlined explicitly in the old site now defunct. From the new site you'll find Driver Only Packages version 2.0.2361. Inside it includes driver version 12.0.0.820 for Killer 1435 model, which I have mentioned, together with other drivers for other Killer card models (not only for 1435 model). That's why after you install it and you go to Device Manager -- Network Adapters -- Killer Wireless and go to Driver Tab, you can see there the driver version used for this particular Killer 1435 model is 12.0.0.820. If I am not mistaken the driver version for Killer 1550 model is also the same as 1435 (or was it 1535 not sure). All the latest drivers from Killer for all models are BUNDLED in that 2.0.2361 package,  which you can download from the site. I hope my explanation is clear enough.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

February 22nd, 2019 08:00

@Omnibussi wrote:

From the new site you'll find Driver Only Packages version 2.0.2361. Inside it includes driver version 12.0.0.820 for Killer 1435 model, which I have mentioned, together with other drivers for other Killer card models (not only for 1435 model). That's why after you install it and you go to Device Manager -- Network Adapters -- Killer Wireless and go to Driver Tab, you can see there the driver version used for this particular Killer 1435 model is 12.0.0.820. If I am not mistaken the driver version for Killer 1550 model is also the same as 1435 (or was it 1535 not sure). All the latest drivers from Killer for all models are BUNDLED in that 2.0.2361 package,  which you can download from the site. I hope my explanation is clear enough.

I reinstalled the 1535 and used the driver from your link and it does install the 12.0.0.820 version.  I will watch this card for a while and create a WLAN report.  If I see anything, I will post back  with any results.

The Killer Wireless 1550 is basically an Intel 9260 and uses the Intel drivers for the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.  The 1550 is an 802.11ax card and I do run it in that mode. 

2 Posts

February 24th, 2019 12:00

I brought the XPS 9370 2 months ago and had nothing but trouble with the WiFi, Internet drops constantly for 5-10 seconds then comes back on.

It literally is an absolute disgrace how a premium laptop comes with a defect WiFi Card and not only that they have soldered it into the board so you cannot change it! DISGRACE! So i sent it back, I went for the XPS 9570 which arrived last week, i went for the top spec costing 2600 pound.

Opening the box i find a big scratch on the outer cover of the laptop! Turn it on to find there was a line from the top to the bottom of the screen which did not go away. After spending 1 hour on the phone to Dell helpline i had to send photos to prove i was not lying!! They sent me a replacement after i contacted the CEO of Dell, The replacements seemed ok, then i discovered it has the Killer wireless card in it also and was doing the same thing as my former 9370 internet constantly dropping out!

So i ordered a Intel 9260 WiFi card as you can change it on the 9570. Since i changed it out not one drop!!!! But i have discovered the screen is faulty, the top half of the screen is brighter than the lower half! I am disgusted how awful Dell's quality control is, seems like you need to purchase many items to get a fully working one! I would advise everyone to stay away from the XPS 9370 + 9380 you cannot change the WiFi cards in them.

I will NEVER buy anything from Dell again awful company.

3 Posts

April 11th, 2019 19:00

I have refreshed my XPS 13 a total of four times. The issue with constant loss of connectivity continues. I believe the Killer card design is fatally flawed. After months of searching for a solution, we have decided to cut our losses, toss the laptop and have it be recycled. This has been an expensive lesson and we will no longer buy Dell products. I sincerely hope potential Dell buyers see this thread and save themselves from an expensive mistake.

1 Message

June 9th, 2019 19:00

Any idea if this issue is there with the 9380? Just ordered one. 

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

June 10th, 2019 08:00

If you just ordered the 9380, then it seems the conversation has settled down, possibly due to driver improvements during the time the thread has been active.  If it does happen, maybe start a new thread if you try everything in this thread and it doesn't work.

It appears the 9380 uses an Intel card, but had to see from the picture.

5 Posts

June 15th, 2019 12:00

Straight out of the box my Dell 15 9570 Wi-Fi did not work, it connects when the machine is started up then in a matter of minutes (sometimes seconds) it disconnects and does not connect again without shutting down and restarting. Astonished when I went online and found this is a very very common problem, this is unnacceptable for a premium product! 

Can anyone shed any light, the unit has been sent off to Dell for 'repair', though I am starting to think maybe I should have just sent it back to Amazon and cut my losses? What exactly are Dell likely to do with it? Will they just replace the card with yet another killer wireless, because if that's the case then it's going straight back to Amazon anyway. 

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

June 17th, 2019 04:00

Hi MrMinaj1,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

If you did not purchase an additional warranty with Amazon, the original limited hardware warranty will prevail.  If you would like Dell to repair the system for you under warranty, and if the part needs to be replaced, depending on availability it would be replaced with an equivalent or better part. 

If you still require assistance and the system is under warranty, you may contact me privately. Be sure to include your personal information (name, address, telephone, email) and your computer's service tag number in your message. Thanks.

If there is no warranty, then you could contact our Out of Warranty team to get a quote for a paid service request. 

5 Posts

June 18th, 2019 11:00

Not sure you understood my original comments, but the system is already with Dell for repair! I was just wondering if they actually replace the card with a decent one (ie Intel), or whether they just replace with another Killer Wireless - I will be returning it to amazon if its sent back with another killer card - clearly not fit for purpose yet Dell don't seem to understand this?! 

No Events found!