Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

58 Posts

July 20th, 2019 19:00

XPS 13 9380 opening lids intermittently wont wake from sleep

Intermittently when it is in sleep mode. Lifting the lid sometimes turn on the display instantly and sometimes I just have to press some keys to turn on the display. Anybody having this problem too ?

August 23rd, 2019 05:00

Read this for background information on Modern Standby.

Here's how I fixed that problem for my setup.

The default power plan for the XPS 13 9380 is the "Dell" power plan. That plan has hibernation enabled after 30 minutes. So, if you close the lid, after 30 minutes it will enter hibernation and require a power button press to turn on.

There are 2 ways to fix this. Choose whichever you prefer.

1. Change the power plan to "Balanced" instead of the Dell plan. Right click the battery/power icon, choose "power options", and change the plan to Balanced. The default Balanced plan has Hibernation disabled.

2. Modify the Dell power plan to increase or disable the Hibernation option. Right click the battery/power icon, choose "power options", look for the Dell plan and click the "change plan settings". Once in the plan settings look for the "Sleep" branch of the options tree. Under there there will be a Hibernate setting. By default it is set to 30 minutes on battery and 31 minutes plugged in. Increase those times or set it to "Never by using a value of 0.

After doing that my laptop now wakes immediately when I open the lid. I actually have mine set to hibernate after 120 minutes to save power, so I get the fast lid open wake for at least 2 hours after closing the lid, and need to hit the power button for anything longer.

• 

17K Posts

July 23rd, 2019 08:00

Junda15,

Click my name and private message me the pc service tag number.

• 

17K Posts

July 25th, 2019 10:00

Junda15,

If you need some assistance click my name and private message me the pc service tag number as well as your registered name, email address, and phone number. 

1 Message

August 20th, 2019 02:00

I had this issue. It got worse and worse too.

I spoke to Dell on the phone and they said it was a known issue for this model, and no timeframe for when a fix was given. All the standard updates and BIOS updates didn't fix it.

I got a refund for mine, not spending 2k on something that doesn't wake up.

No Events found!