Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

5 Posts

November 20th, 2018 12:00

XPS 13 Getting Warm in Sleep Mode

With all my other laptops, if I close the lid they go into sleep and are stone cold, when I open the lid they spring back to life in a second or two.

I closed the lid on my XPS 13 today, under power and with a full battery.

When I came back 3 hours later the whole laptop was warm, including the lid - not hot but warm enough to warm your hands on.

I have checked the "close lid" settings and they are set to sleep.

Any thoughts, hopefully its a setting but I'm a bit concerned that the battery charge may not be cutting out when it reaches capacity - don't want a fire!

Thanks

Mid

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

November 21st, 2018 05:00

Thank you for your message. Do you observe any battery drain when the computer is set to sleep? I mean is there a significant drain before & after the system lid is closed?

Is the system kept in a closed enclosure when the lid is closed?

Does the system get warm when not in sleep mode & when used normally?

What is the BIOS version installed?

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Dell-Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

Click here to find the service tag -  https://dell.to/2xXUCUW

November 22nd, 2018 01:00

Hi, 

The windows power troubleshooter appears to have fixed the heat problem. It detected that the minimum power setting was set too high (I think it was set at 100% but whatever the value it was set out of the box) and lowered it. 

The XPS no longer gets warm in sleep mode but does drain the battery - 3% in 30 minutes before hibernate kicked in.

I would like to be able to leave it in sleep mode for a few days without the battery running out, which my S3 laptops can do with ease but the XPS has too much power drain and would be dead within a day.

Is there a way to simulate S3 mode - e.g. by turning off every device except RAM thereby reducing battery drain to a minimum?

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

November 22nd, 2018 04:00

Glad to know that the heating issue has been resolved.

XPS 13 is a modern standby supported platform, S3 mode is not officially supported per platform design.

Please update to BIOS version 1.5.0, if you don’t have the latest version.

November 22nd, 2018 12:00

Hi, 

I believe I am running the latest BIOS (from memory 1.5.1)

Unfortunately the heating issue in Sleep is not fixed, I hadn't realised that Close Lid/Sleep was also configured to revert to Hibernate after 20 minutes or so, I can only think that the troubleshooter set this up.

When I change close lid settings to Sleep, and set Hibernate to Never, the warm laptop scenario returned.

When it goes to sleep I want the laptop just to do enough to keep RAM running on minimal power, nothing else (wifi, audio etc etc) should be running. i.e. I want the equivalent of S3

How do achieve this?

Thanks

Jon

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

November 23rd, 2018 04:00

Thank you for your message. I will be glad to assist you with this.

Connected standby replaces traditional sleep functions and there is no way to disable the function or alter it.

Please share the service tag on a private message, I will look into the BIOS details & assist you further.

2 Posts

February 27th, 2021 08:00

Hi, Was a fix found? My computer also gets warm on sleep mode when connected to AC.

No Events found!