Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

1 Message

July 23rd, 2022 16:00

XPS 13 Plus 9320, sound not working

XPS 13 Plus 9320

XPS 13 Plus 9320

I just got my new XPS 13 Plus laptop in the mail a couple days ago. Everything was great on the computer until I ran into a sound problem. I connected my bluetooth headphones to the computer. No problems occurred when connecting and listening with my headphones. The problem is when I disconnected the headphones and now I do not have any sound. I would consider my self as a pretty tech savy person, so I went through the process of troubleshooting and could not find a solution. I read some other forums on the Dell website with the same issue but not solution.

July 25th, 2022 02:00

I had a similar problem and discovered that the internal speakers would no longer work if I had 'Enhance Audio' switched on. 

Go to 'System' -> 'Sound' -> 'Properties' (or Speakers, Intel Smart Sound Technology for MIPI SoundWire Audio etc) and you should see an option for 'Enhance Audio'. Switch this off and hopefully, your internal speakers will work again. 

Strangely if 'Enhance Audio' was on, I could hear sound from Bluetooth headphones or external speakers without any problems.

October 8th, 2022 07:00

This just fixed my issue:  

1. Logged into my Dell account
  2. Select the device with the sound issue.
  3. Select Drivers & Downloads tab
  4. Click on Check for Updates button within the "Let Dell automatically find driver updates for you.
  5. Optional step - walk away, got some coffee, let the dog out...LOL
  6. Came back, drivers were updated, perform a Restart
  7. Viola, I now have sound!!!!!

Community Manager

• 

2.2K Posts

August 4th, 2023 22:00

How to reinstall audio drivers:

Additional helpful video:

(edited)

July 26th, 2022 15:00

For me, the problem occurred even though 'Enhance Audio' was off. However, the problem disappeared when I turned 'Enhance Audio' on and then back off.

1 Message

September 15th, 2022 18:00

I spent hours trying to fix my sound, including a full reinstall of Windows. Nothing worked until I came across this thread. I switched off Enhance Audio and it fixed my problem. Thank you!!!!

42 Posts

September 19th, 2022 05:00

In my case, my "temporary solution" is to switch Enhance Audio Off and then immediately back On. But that solution is temporary. Very often the issue comes back again and I'm supposed to do the same thing (switch Enhance Audio Off and then immediately back On) (or restarting Windows would also work).
I'm not sure yet what triggers the issue. My assumption now are a few:
- When computer goes to sleep/hybernate

- When I connect bluetooth audio devices and then disconnect (going back to laptop speakers) 

Does anybody know what the trigger for the issue is?

Is the solution for you (Enhanced Audio Off-On) permanent or temporary like for me?

Thanks

September 27th, 2022 15:00

The issue I am facing with my 9320 (maybe related) is that everytime Windows Plays its sounds (alerts, notifications...) it "locks" the sound card. Discovered when adjusting volume using taskbar (it plays a Windows Sound when you do so). No other application can use Sound since. That is what I thing is the trigger. Work around: No Windows Sounds.

September 28th, 2022 17:00

I experienced the same issue.  This initially worked, now it doesn't, can only hear Windows notifications no videos, music, etc., very aggrevating.

1 Message

October 1st, 2022 10:00

Don't know how you figured this out but it worked for me thank you!

1 Message

October 9th, 2022 06:00

This worked for me!  Happened after I connected my USB-C Dock and had external speakers on.  The speakers continued to work but when I unplugged them the speakers would not.  Thank you.  

42 Posts

October 13th, 2022 11:00

Hi Woctor.

I've the same workaround as you. But for this solution is only temporary. Once in a while the sound issue comes back and I have to switch Enhance Audio Off/On... Was it a permanent solution for you?

3 Posts

October 30th, 2022 14:00

I tried the same steps and the audio came back but very low. 

At 100 volume it sounds like its at 15, I can barely hear the sounds. unfortunately, there is no setting that would correct this. 

1 Message

November 4th, 2022 17:00

I've been having the same issue and used the toggle for audio enhancements as a temp workaround. I contacted dell tech support in order to report this bug and customer service went through a few steps including re-installing the drivers that have not worked. They are now offering a tech to come out and physically replace the speakers when this is clearly a software issue that needs to be patched.

3 Posts

November 5th, 2022 10:00

Hi, 

can you confirm if the audio is loud enough compared to before the issue started? 

I had the same issue, brought back the audio but now it sounds so faint, at max 100 volume it sounds like 30 volume. 

My second XPS 13 New corei5 sounds a lot more louder now when compared but both use to be at same volume level. 

Now I have to pay extra attention to hear my audio, so frustrating!!!

November 15th, 2022 18:00

Hello everyone, this model recently arrived in Brazil and I received it in exchange for the XPS13 that had overheating problems.

I received an XPS13 Plus that had this sound problem (after a windows notification if reproduced I could no longer listen to spotify, youtube, any website, whatsapp) and with another that the webcam did not turn on. I thought it was a driver and asked to exchange it for another notebook.

I received another XPS13 Plus that came with a working camera and the same sound issue.

I turned off the windows sounds and it seems to have solved it (system - notifications - open the notifications box and turn off "allow notifications to play sounds).

I consider it a bug that DELL should fix via the driver, I don't need the windows sounds but a premium notebook with this problem is not correct. Here in Brazil it is very expensive.

No Events found!