Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 2nd, 2019 00:00

XPS 15-7590, Killer Wireless 1650, WiFi issues

I am facing WiFi issues with my newly bought XPS 15 7590 and the Killer Wireless 1650 WiFi card. Installing latest Windows 10 and Dell Updates, replacing Dell WiFi Drivers by Killer Drivers (Aug 2nd) did not fix the problems.

On some WiFi I only can connect, if I disable ac/ax in the card driver properties or set the 2.4 GHz to 802.11b or  802.11g (Otherwise Windows keeps prompting for WPA key, even if it is correct).  On others the connection frequently drops for 1-2 seconds and then reconnects, even if I am just browsing (no heavy load on the card).

Did someone also encounter such WiFi issues with this hardware? (And probably already has as solution, besides replacing it with an Intel WiFi card?)

Thanks,

Irgi

January 16th, 2020 10:00

try this link. https://medium.com/@tylergwlum/my-journey-installing-ubuntu-18-04-on-the-dell-xps-15-7590-2019-756f738a6447

I found this link. very helpful to install Ubuntu, wifi, bluetooth, nvidia drivers.

Suspend mode will work only if you switch off bluetooth, otherwise not.

1 Rookie

• 

8 Posts

February 15th, 2020 10:00

How did you install the "regular intel old drivers"?  Where did  you download them from?  (Thanks in advance for any help you can give--this issue is driving me nuts!!!)

February 18th, 2020 10:00

@architect barbYou can find Driver Only options on in our Download section. There is a "Driver Only Packages" section that has INF Package (Device Manager Manual install) and Driver Only options. Both of these options are the driver only option, without our software. If you have issues please submit a ticket to our support team and we would be more than happy to assist. 

Thank you again for your time, 

Nicholas with Killer Networking.

• 

25.7K Posts

February 18th, 2020 11:00

Hi There,

Thank you for letting us know, we see that there was some limitation that was causing te ssue, however, there are lot of other troubleshooting steps which can fix this, please feel free to contact us in case of any concerns. 

-Paventhan M

February 18th, 2020 14:00

@architect barb Thank you for your feedback. However I do wish to clarify what you mean exactly by "Killer will not work with AT&T".  We have many users that use this specific ISP, and have not seen issues specific it or other ISP. Could you please explain what you mean by this? Also, if you haven't already could you please submit a ticket to our support team so we can assist you further on this.  (if you already have, reply to it, or post the Ticket# here)

Thank you again for your time.

Nicholas with Killer Networking.

1 Rookie

• 

8 Posts

February 18th, 2020 16:00

As noted above, I spent 4 hours on the phone yesterday with Dell ProSupport (after spending an hour with on-site tech having the killer card replaced) only to be told that the Killer card will NOT work with my 18 mbps AT&T internet service.  It's not AT&T--it's the slow speed of the internet service.  There was some kind of warning in the Killer Control Panel about the card being more capable than my internet service but I was unable to read the whole thing.  I've uninstalled Killer using your tool and reinstalled it several times--and the Dell tech support guy did, too.  And I DID submit a ticket Saturday--or at least I think I did--with the diagnostic report attached.  If you want to send me your e-mail address I will e-mail you what I sent and attach the diagnostic--I don't think I can do that here.  Thanks. 

1 Rookie

• 

8 Posts

February 18th, 2020 16:00

I spent 4 hours on the phone yesterday with Dell ProSupport (after spending an hour with on-site tech having the killer card replaced) only to be told that the Killer card will NOT work with my 18 mbps AT&T internet service.  It's not AT&T--it's the slow speed of the internet service.  If you have some magic, please bring it on!  Otherwise, having spent a total of around 40 hours on this installing and reinstalling drivers, chatting and talking with tech support, I'm done!  Sorry to be brusque but this is very frustrating.  I appreciate your interest.

• 

25.7K Posts

February 19th, 2020 17:00

Hello,

We have reached out to you in private message requesting some more information with respect to this issue. Do reach out to us at your convenience so that we can assist you further.

Regards,

Muntazir Patel

12 Posts

April 1st, 2020 16:00

I am having the same issue on my brand new Dell XPS 7590. My speed goes from 1.3 -1.7 Gbps to 6 Mbps which is ridiculous. I have tried several of the latest Killer drivers and the Dell driver for this Wifi NIC. I'm curious why this still isn't resolve with so many users having the same issue. I have also submitted a ticket to Killer Support, but haven't heard anything back yet.

1 Rookie

• 

8 Posts

April 1st, 2020 19:00

I apologize for not getting back to you sooner. After spending hours and hours on the phone with Dell (and finally being told that the problem is that my AT&T internet is too slow at 18 mbps max) and exchanging sporadic and not very helpful e-mails with the Killer people, I decided to get (a) faster internet (which I needed to get through a "wireless internet" 4-5G LTE device because there is no other way to get faster internet in my downtown condo) and (b) get a new laptop.  I got a Latitude 14 7490 2-in-1 (Latitudes were the only high-end Dells I could find without the Killer card) and I couldn't be happier--it has an Intel wireless card, a screen only slightly smaller than my XPS 15, more ports, better features, a lighter weight than either my XPS 15 7590 or my older XPS 13, and it looks as good as the XPS 15.  HOWEVER, after playing around with the XPS 15 a bit more, I think part of the problem was that when I moved my files to the XPS 15 it was taking forever for the to upload to OneDrive and during the uploads the Killer card and OneDrive hogged all the bandwith and speed.  There is likely more to it but as I said after spending hours trying to get to the bottom of the problem I gave up.  Hope this helps a bit...

12 Posts

April 2nd, 2020 06:00

No problem and thank you for the reply. I can't say i blame you with the continuous issues related to this wireless NIC. It's very strange in the release notes from Killer support there is no mention of this issue, although all of us here know it is. If I can't get it resolved soon I will likely switch the wireless NIC to an Intel one. I expected much more out of this Killer wireless NIC based on what I read prior to buying the laptop, but I still have some hope it might get fixed.

1 Rookie

• 

8 Posts

April 2nd, 2020 07:00

After I responded to you last night, I messed around with the XPS 15 a bit.  Try using Dell Command Update to install the latest updates.  I did that last night and the XPS's wifi seems to work a lot better now, as long as I'm using my new 60 mbps "wireless internet" service--I get 60 mbps on both the XPS and my iPhone at the same time, even while OneDrive is updating.  (You may still have to play around with disabling some of the Killer features as detailed in previous posts, and you will want to "set bandwith limits" from "settings" in the Killer app--run the Killer speedtest in the set bandwidth and it will set them for you--then hit "apply settings".)  I've got version 21.50.1.1 of the drivers and 2.1.3163.0 of the Killer control center app.  Good luck--let me know how it goes!

12 Posts

April 2nd, 2020 13:00

Thanks for the update. I have tried both versions of the driver you mentioned also. I guess I'm still stuck on the fact that user's shouldn't have to be going through all these hoops to get their wireless nic to connect at a reasonable speed

April 2nd, 2020 13:00

@architect barb We are glad you saw better results with updates to your drivers, and updating through Dells Command Update.  There are many factors that are involved between OEM, and Windows Updates. That is a driver that helped resolve a lot of issues with 21.50.1.1. Currently the latest is at 21.80.2.1, however if your system is working I would leave it as is. We work closely with Intel and make sure we provide the latest updates. 

If you happen to run into issues please submit a ticket to our support and we would be more than happy to assist you. @Rpmurph8300 if you are still having issues as well we would love to assist you as well. 

What we have found to help users:

1.) Windows Update (1909 is the most current) - Right Click Start >> Search >> type in "Check for Updates" >> Click on Check for Updates Button (Most are on 1903) you also might have to Download and Install "Feature Update to WIndows 10, Version 1909. 

2.) Bios and Chipset Updates: Google Search your Model# and Bios Update behind it, and make sure its a website from your OEM do not download from unknown websites. This is the website for the XPS 15 7590 (Current Bios 1.5.0)

3.) Clean Install Process - please follow these steps:  

• Download Killer Software UWD
  • Download Killer Uninstaller Tool
  • Use the Uninstaller Tool (Open Uninstaller Tool, then Click “Scan for installed Killer Software” after scan finishes click on “Remove Killer Software” once it finishes it will state “Reboot Required” click on Start Button and Restart the System)  
  • After the system restarts, then Install the Killer Software UWD you downloaded earlier.

4.) Network Device at home (Router,Gateway,Modem): Verify you have this properly setup, download the latest firmware updates. 

Thank you for your time and patience. If you feel uncomfortable or need assistance with these steps please use the link that I provided earlier to submit a ticket.

Nicholas at Killer Networking.

1 Rookie

• 

8 Posts

April 2nd, 2020 15:00

I completely agree--this whole thing has been INCREDIBLY frustrating.  But that's exactly why I decided to get the new laptop--I had to get my work done and the amount of time and mental energy I was spending on this was draining.  I'm still not happy and agree that we shouldn't have had to go through all this.  But at least now I have my Latitude that works great and the XPS 15 that works OK with the new "wireless internet" and can focus on my work rather than my computer troubles.  I hope you resolve this one way or another to your satisfaction so that you can get on with your life...

No Events found!