Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 23rd, 2022 00:00

isHighlyActiveTopic

XPS 15 7590, Memory Integrity on causes an inaccessible boot device

Hey all,

Just wanted to report a minor bug with a fresh install on Windows 11 22H2 on XPS 15 7590.

When trying to turn on Memory Integrity under Device Security / Core Isolation, upon next reboot i get a blue screen with Inaccessible Boot Device.

Yes, I'm using the latest Intel Chipset Drivers and XPS 15 7590 firmware.

Yes my Windows 11 is up to date.

expired on August 2, 2020. DELL-Admin>

5 Posts

January 19th, 2023 05:00

UPDATE to the comment above.  DELL Tech support and I did a screen share just now where they double checked I had the latest BIOS and drivers etc.  I'm all good there so there was nothing to download and install.

The suggestion came down from their next level tech support that we should try installing Windows 11 with a fresh install over the top, but I've tried that and I still have the same problem.  Also, others in this thread have tried fresh installs and have the problem too.

My biggest issue is I cannot disable DELL Secure Boot (even though I want to).  Bitlocker relies on this and Bitlocker is enforced through Active Directory policy.

If anyone is still having this problem I recommend you also raise a support call and have them push it higher up the chain.  

The good news is my ticket is going to be raised up the levels of tech support because its apparently related to a BIOS issue.  I have also given them the link to this forum thread.

3 Posts

January 19th, 2023 07:00

I think a possible workaround for this that seemed to work for me and a few others has gotten lost in this thread: https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/XPS-15-7590-Memory-Integrity-on-causes-an-inaccessible-boot/m-p/8276767/highlight/true#M102606

In your BIOS, have you tried disabling Virtualization Direct I/O (VT-d)?

I still have Secure Boot and VT-x enabled, all I had to do was just disable VT-d to get my fresh install of 22H2 booting on my XPS 7590. Worth a try!

Glad you are getting traction with Dell Support though - let us know if that workaround helps, and how things go with Dell!

January 19th, 2023 08:00

Thank you for this. 

4 Posts

January 19th, 2023 11:00

Turning of Virtualization is not an option, if you need WSL2.

I read somewhere else, that deactivating Dell's secure boot in BIOS is fixing the issue. You can install the update and start it, as long as you don't activate secure boot. For me this is no fix either.

This is 100% Dells fault and it is really speaking volumes that they are not addressing the issue here in the thread.

106 Posts

January 20th, 2023 00:00

Before everyone rushes to switch off the Virtualization Direct I/O (VT-d) 

Can someone please inform us what effect switching it off will have on the running of Hyper V? 

It seems rather rushed and short sighted to mark it as "Solved" when  clearly that is not the case, thus giving the wrong impression to those who read the thread.

3 Posts

January 20th, 2023 02:00

@ChrissyT Sounds like you haven't tried the workaround? I'm using WSL2 fine with VT-d switched off. Just leave VT-x enabled - that's the requirement for running WSL2.

And yes, it's not a fix, that's why I'm calling it a workaround - just a temporary means to run the 22H2 update if you want/need to, if it works for you. 

@Greencat1 from what I've read, VT-d allows direct/low-level access for VMs to your hardware, e.g. your GPU through PCI-e passthrough - as long as your VM platform supports it. It should have no effect otherwise, hence recommending it as a possible workaround.

Obviously try the workaround of disabling VT-d before upgrading, and check you can still use Hyper-V, other VMs, WSL2, etc as you're used to. Re-enable if all fails - nothing lost!

I agree this issue shouldn't be marked as solved - my workaround will likely work fine for a lot of people, but it's sacrificing functionality that a lot of people buying a laptop of this level will have wanted to use.

33 Posts

It is not solved if you use 64-bit virtualization (s).

If you have running virtualization solutions on 64-bit they will fail to run like WSL2 and Virtualbox. When on 32-bit one shouldn't have a problem.

In short:

Direct memory access (DMA) is a method that allows an input/output (I/O) device to send or receive data directly to or from the main memory, bypassing the CPU to speed up memory operations. The process is managed by a chip known as a DMA controller (DMAC).
You may find a PPT presentation about it here:
https://www.csa.iisc.ac.in/~deepakd/verification-workshop-2016/vtd.ppt

33 Posts

@DELL-Cares, why not write that you see the problem and that Dell is working on it, I hope?
And please remove the Solved tag from this topic.

It is clear a BIOS issue and DELL-Cares is not really of help by suggesting to do a fresh install that didn't help either. Please escalate internally!

A workaround is not a permanent solution.
their issue, so justified. It is not marked as a DAS (Dell Accepted Solution). DELL-Admin>

I use my (pretty expensive) laptop for work everyday and I happen to use docker and VMs all the time. And yes, I need my VMs to be able to use all the hardware (eg. GPU) and to be able to use full potential of my pc.

Thank you very much.

Sandro 

• 

25.1K Posts

Hello, I see you are looking for technical assistance. If you need our help, you can follow @dellcares and start a private/direct message with us and we will be happy to assist you.

January 20th, 2023 03:00

Bot replies don't help. I and I think I can say we (users here looking for a solution), we have already tried suggested solutions and explained and proved plenty of times that there is an issue to be solved DELL side.

33 Posts

January 20th, 2023 06:00

@noliveira My guess is that @DELL-Chris M is meaning that they need one XPS 15 7590 system to investigate the problem further as this system is not sold anymore. So if one is able to do the capture request that should be sufficient. I'm I right @DELL-Chris M ?

But at the same time, there are other models that have the same issue e.g. Precision 5540.
Perhaps @DELL-Chris M is able to have another model in stock to investigate?

See https://www.dell.com/community/Windows-11/Dell-XPS-15-7590-Windows-11-22H2-problems-when-secure-boot-is/td-p/8283762/page/6

January 20th, 2023 07:00

Thank you very much for taking this issue to further investigation, I hope you will find somebody with a still active warranty. Please keep us posted on any finding. 

Have a great day.

Sandro

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 20th, 2023 07:00

But at the same time, there are other models that have the same issue e.g. Precision 5540.
Perhaps is able to have another model in stock to investigate?
* A similar process through GHN has to be initiated by the Precision Laptops team from those specific Precision Laptop board threads.

2 Posts

January 20th, 2023 08:00

I no longer have warrantly since the laptop was purchased near to when it came out. However I would be happy to send mine in for you to do testing on in exchange for a replacement.

However it is noteworthy that it does not matter the state of the device. If it is wiped, a fresh windows install, or having been used for years. The issue still persists. That being the case I am sure they could get their hands on a model without exchanging with a customers device no?

No Events found!